FEMALE FRONTED METAL

delainnation

Sep 14, 2010
nashville,tn
Hey everyone, I wanted to see what all of you think about female fronted metal and female metal musicians. My passion is to support the ladies of metal and try to gain them the same respect as their male contempararies. Your opinions are greatly appreiciated. If you have any ideas on things we can do to help our metal sisters then that is welcome too. Remember to be nice with your comments . Thank you. \m/(*)(*)\m/

FEMALE METAL RAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At first I loved it because it was different. Now I just see metal as fully integrated, at least in terms of vocals. Since there's no longer a novelty effect, I can judge a band based on how good they are regardless of the sex of their singer, whereas several years ago I would have been interested in a band just because their vocalist was female, whether she was good or not.

Would like to see more females playing instruments though. Seems like metal bands are either all female or all male on instruments.

I won't since I'm not there, but I did not know that Voyager had a female guitarist. So we are making some progress.

On the vocal side, the proof for me wasn't the number of female vocalists, it was the fact that some bands that had lineup changes would change the sex of the vocalist as well. That told me that it didn't really matter anymore, a band just gets the best singer they can find. Dark Moor went from female to male, Highland Glory went from male to female, White Skull went female to male to female again.

Interestingly enough, I think that women in Top 40 rock bands actually do better than male-fronted bands. Seems like for every successful Shinedown there are two Paramores these days.

Last night, my guitarist gave me his "Don't wear a skirt" speech. He said something that was really awesome; "We picked you because you were the best singer we could find, not because you were the best FEMALE singer we could find."

Yay equality. :D

Last night, my guitarist gave me his "Don't wear a skirt" speech. He said something that was really awesome; "We picked you because you were the best singer we could find, not because you were the best FEMALE singer we could find."

Yay equality. :D

I thought skirts sell records? at least tight, leather, awesome ones....?

Put a certain petite blonde singer for an epic power metal band up on stage wearing ripped frayed camo cargo pants... the way she is singing now, the record and show sales will continue - leather skirts be damned.

Thats the kind of thinking Josh wishes didn't exist. He's kind of against the sexualizing of female singers, but in his defense, he hates it when male singers are sexualized too.. ha!

My argument was that I just wanted a skirt so I could show off my giant-ass New Rock boots. THEY'RE SO BIG AND METAL!

I won't since I'm not there, but I did not know that Voyager had a female guitarist. So we are making some progress.

Funny this discussion with Voyager, since they seem to go out of their way to de-emphesize Simone's sex. (Oh, and they used to have a female bass player as well.)

Go get some striped tights ala Iron Maiden and the knee high ass stomping boots will definitely be highlighted. No problem!

Last night I saw tights on a big-bootied metal chick in person, a la Judas Priestess...

..trust me, on women like us, tights are not the way to go if you want to de-sexualize. XD

Last edited by a moderator: