Festival Date is...

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
...Sept 15-16.

The Atlanta hotel industry has experienced a 15% increase in room costs over the past two years, including 2006) as the tourism industry has rebounded post 9/11. If you find a good deal, I advise you to nail down your hotel rooms early.

Glenn H.

P.S. Now you know the reason for the small ticket price increase this year. When you pay for 50+ rooms over 3 days, it *adds* up.

Thanks for the info Glenn, now to book my room and flight and submit for my time off.

Harvester said:
The Atlanta hotel industry has experienced a 15% increase in room costs over the past two years, including 2006) as the tourism industry has rebounded post 9/11. If you find a good deal, I advise you to nail down your hotel rooms early.

You're not kidding. The past few years, I've gotten a room at the Sheraton via Hotwire; they were about $65/night 3 years ago and about $80/night last year. This year, the listing is at $122/night. I checked how that compared to their regular room rate, and I saw a quote of $309/night!! It's the Residence Inn for me this year!

Ken

Looks like I will be flying out the morning of Friday the 15th because I am NOT missing Celtic Frost at BB Kings in NYC on the 14th. Should be a very metal weekend.

Harvester said:
And yes, I will be hosting a metal karoke pre-pre party on the 13th (Wed) followed by the official Pre-Party on the Thursday.

Glenn H.

Cool! Will this be the same place?

The International Bowling and Arcade on Buford hwy has a lot of prog/power metal karoke. They have Angra, Strat, Dio, Dt, Sym X, Sonata, Edguy, Avantasia, Queensryche, Helloween, Gamma Ray, Maiden and a whole lot more that I can't think of off the top of my head...,I think they may sell cds or something of the karoke tracks; although it would be better to have a band.

Robin

Is the Hampton available this year??? If not any ideas on the best place to stay.

Thanks
John

metalprof said:
You're not kidding. The past few years, I've gotten a room at the Sheraton via Hotwire; they were about $65/night 3 years ago and about $80/night last year. This year, the listing is at $122/night. I checked how that compared to their regular room rate, and I saw a quote of $309/night!! It's the Residence Inn for me this year!

Ken

Ditto that. Just reserved at Hampton Inn for $129 per night.

lol... where's the justice? last year, I didn't book until june or so, and I got a 2-bed room for $99/night... this year, I'm booking in early January, and the cheapest double I can find is $129 at the Hampton.

dusro2 said:
i do remember the hampton costing $65. 4 years ago...time to share rooms to save $.
You got that right, i have been checking this morning and the cost for the rooms every where is way up. Soooooooooo if any one wants to share a room and the cost let me know i can book it from here at work an save a few$$$ with our corporate rate. Just let me know ASAP as the rooms will go fast, it doesn't matter where your from or what, let's just save some $$$.

John

dusro2 said:
i do remember the hampton costing $65. 4 years ago...time to share rooms to save $.

Without a doubt..... Hampton is the furthest away (walking distance)
Granada is mission control central, rooms start at $129.
Residence Inn has a better deal if you book Thus (or Fri) Thru Sunday
@ $99. I was going to book an extra day there, and it was a flat $159 across the board. Why? I have no fookin' clue, doesn't make sense to me....
Looking forward to another kickass trip to GA this September!

J-Dubya

Without a doubt..... Hampton is the furthest away (walking distance)

not.

The Courtyard (Mariott), the Sheraton, and the Super 8 are farther. There are even farther-away places where people also stay for the show.

J-Dubya 777 said:
Residence Inn has a better deal if you book Thus (or Fri) Thru Sunday @ $99. I was going to book an extra day there, and it was a flat $159 across the board. Why? I have no fookin' clue, doesn't make sense to me....J-Dubya

Then I did see what other people are seeing. My jaw dropped when I saw those rates. Residence Inn last year was just $86 a night, now $159! for Thursday-Sunday. o_O

Harvester said:
...Sept 15-16.

And yes, I will be hosting a metal karoke pre-pre party on the 13th (Wed) followed by the official Pre-Party on the Thursday.

Glenn H.

P.S. Now you know the reason for the small ticket price increase this year. When you pay for 50+ rooms over 3 days, it *adds* up.
Booked mine earlier this week. Glad to see I guessed right! :D
You aren't kidding about those prices!!!!! Don't even ask what the Granada is getting for a suite this year. :err:

Dave, Michelle and I will be there for the Wednesday night party.....but we promise not to do Karaoke. Though we will, of course, photograph all who do for the webzine!:tickled:

J-Dubya 777 said:
Residence Inn has a better deal if you book Thus (or Fri) Thru Sunday
@ $99. I was going to book an extra day there, and it was a flat $159 across the board. Why? I have no fookin' clue, doesn't make sense to me....
Looking forward to another kickass trip to GA this September!

J-Dubya

THANKS J-Dubya! I had booked the Residence yesterday Wed through Sun, just in case. I changed the booking today to Thurs to Sun and have the $99 rate. You're awesome.

Oh, and for anyone with AAA, the Granada charges only $89 per night. I've stayed in both, and like the Residence better, even if the Granada is party central.

Steve in Philly

FWIW, Grenada is booked except for Jacuzzi Suites ($189/night) and Penthouse Suites ($179/night). We got a penthouse suite. Those are nice rooms. We stayed in one room in the Grenada that was definately not worth $129. So I'd rather pay a bit more to ensure getting a nice room close to the venue. Booked for Thursday - Monday. Are we going to Six Flags again this year?

Unfortunately, all of those hotels have got us and they know it.