Firewind - Mokena, IL

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Saw Firewind at The Pearl Room in Mokena, IL last night. Unfortunately, less than 100 people in the room. However, I thought those in attendance were determined to welcome Gus G and crew with much enthusiasm. I'm not very familiar with all of their albums, so I cannot provide any kind of set list. Gus is definitely a monster lead player and he didn't disappoint ripping solo after solo. Drummer Mark Cross was very solid. Substitute vocalist Henning Basse was great, seemed to nail the tunes without any problems. Keyboardist was not there as Gus explained that the guy forgot his passport and did not make the trip. That's too bad because their overall sound could've probably benefited from his presence. Also, I was disappointed that they only played an hour or so including encore...WTF? I am anticipating that by the time ProgPower arrives, these guys will be firing on all cylinders and slay.

3 local bands opened, but I arrived too late to see any of them.

Saw them Friday night in Cleveland opening for Edguy. Their set was shorter than I wanted, but they did great. A most pit even started shortly into their set, but as that is not allowed it didn't last long. I thought the guy doing the vocals was really good and sang the songs spot on. He was a good frontman as well and the crowd was really into them.

Edguy was great - the guys seemed to be having a great time and the audience was really fired up. Tobi is a great frontman and his voice was right on. This was my first time seeing them and had a great time. They said they'd be back again in 10-12 months :)

I will have a journal up about the show later tonight...just click on the charts below.

Courtesy of www.metalsetlists.com:

Intro
1.Allegiance
2.Insanity
3.I Am the Anger
4.Destination Forever
5.Keyboard / Guitar Solo + Drum Solo
6.The Fire and the Fury
7.Till the End of Time
8.Brother's Keeper
9.Ready to Strike
10.Between Heaven and Hell