Floor Jansen wants only men in her band

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
http://www.floorjansen.nl/

That really put me off. It's hard enough for women who play instruments to get any respect in the metal world. It took 30 years for female singers to be an accepted norm in heavy metal. You'd think Floor would appreciate that.

Is there a benign explanation for why she would not consider females in her band that I haven't thought of?

That's not very benign. Floor is the star of the show, I'd think that would be clear to anyone joining this band, male or female. Are you saying that another female wouldn't be able to handle it? I would think females who play instruments are used to having to be humble given how few of them are even known to metal fans. Unless Floor got Orianthi or Lita Ford, it's doubtful there'd be much of a clash of egos.

Actually, I can totally understand, particularly if she's been used to working with guys, so it's just easier for her (probably). I can't say that this would be the same truth for the music industry, but I have found it easier to work with guys in my industry. I have a contract who refuses to hire men, but has a huge issue with the female attitude (and work ethic). I've had very few issues with the guys who've worked under me, I have gotten nothing but straight answers on what exactly they can do. Women, generally speaking, try to do too much much and don't really pay attention to working within their boundaries. Not an across the board truth, but really takes a while to find out whether one is or isn't.

I think it's ridiculous that someone gets annoyed by this. How many times haven't we seen ads for girls looking to form an "all-girl" band? Nobody talks about how they're "leaving the guys out".

Her list also reads like potential dating criteria as well...

...just sayin'.

I don't see anything on that list that looks like dating criteria. She wants musicians with their own equipment, transportation, experience performing live, who live close enough to be able to rehearse regularly. Those are all pretty reasonable requests.

The only one that really stands out at all is "men only" and that seemingly-strange request has already been established in this thread.

I think it's ridiculous that someone gets annoyed by this. How many times haven't we seen ads for girls looking to form an "all-girl" band? Nobody talks about how they're "leaving the guys out".

If you're forming an "all-girl" band, you're trying to get a gimmick going unless it occurred naturally because the girls were all friends. Same as if you tried to form a band where everyone was required to be one race, or one religion. It's a gimmick.

There are some non-gimmicky exceptions. Male and female singers sound different, so a preference for a singer to be a particular sex is understandable. But an instrument is an instrument regardless of the sex of the fingers playing it.

Was Floor never turned down for a job for being female? It just seems weird that a woman would do that to other women.

I don't see anything on that list that looks like dating criteria. She wants musicians with their own equipment, transportation, experience performing live, who live close enough to be able to rehearse regularly. Those are all pretty reasonable requests.

The only one that really stands out at all is "men only" and that seemingly-strange request has already been established in this thread.

Sorry, my mind was in the gutter after a night out.. once your mind is there, then re-read it I guess.. anyhow it was a lame joke and I'll own up to it :kickass:

Hmm, since Floor is no longer in After Forever, are they going to change their name to After FloorEver? :)

I'd be in Floor's band anyday, eventhough I can't play anything! :) If you're annoyed by this, then maybe you should focus your energies else where. It's her band, she can do anything she wants...get over it.

~Brian~

Seems like she has no value gained in advertising only women. She could just deny all women applicants, and thus not create a controversy.

Seems like she has no value gained in advertising only women. She could just deny all women applicants, and thus not create a controversy.

If she'd considered how people make a big deal out of such things as this these days, she probably would've. It seems like people are willing to slander/destroy/demonize anyone these days at the drop of a hat!

Currently, I work in a field, Human Resources, that is dominated by women. To be honest, most companies won't hire a male to do what I do...at least in my part of the country. It very well may be different in other regions of the U.S., I don't know. After 9 years of beating my head up against the wall, I'm making a career change. Basically saying, piss on it all! I try to pick my battles these days and this one, that has to do with my career, just isn't worth it to me anymore. My whole point is, everyone suffers from discrimination, not just a few "select" groups. That doesn't make it okay, but it's a fact of life. You can either be a martyr fighting for your cause or you can roll with the punches. If you choose to be a martyr, then just be ready for what comes along with being that.

~Brian~

I think it's fine for her to specify sex since it's her project. It's a private endeavour.

I also know that females in a rock band is knee-jerkingly disliked by some people. I've met more than one girl who automatically dislike girls in bands. Baffles me, but they're out there.

She oozes sex appeal. The fans focus on that. If there were another woman in the band, the focus would be split.

Kinda like having three candidates in one party running against one candidate in the other. The three candidates would all lose.

Shrugs

Or, she could just like playing with dudes.

Frankly I don't give a shit. I just want to hear the new album.