Forbidden at Jaxx last night...

Saw the Overkill/Forbidden/Evile/Gama Bomb/Bonded By Blood show Saturday night at Club Firestone here in Orlando. Great show, I had a blast.
Forbidden were great and played several songs from their first album, but we didn't get "Chalice of Blood," we got "Through Eyes of Glass" instead. They played a few from Twisted Into Form and "Forsaken At The Gates," "Adapt or Die" and the title track from Omega Wave.

Overkill, of course, totally destroyed, here is their setlist:
The Green and Black
Rotten To The Core
Infectious
Wrecking Crew
Give A Little
Necroshine
Damned
Ironbound
Long Time Dyin'
Hello From The Gutter
Where It Hurts
Nice Day For A Funeral
Elimination
Encore:
Horrorscope
Bring Me The Night
Fuck You!

This is what I can remember of the Forbidden set list in Atlanta

March Into Fire
Step By Step
Adapt or Die
Omega Wave
Twisted Into Form
Through Eyes of Glass
Forsaken at the Gates (I think?)
Chalice of Blood

For Overkill, we didn't get Nice Day For A Funeral but we did get Thanx For Nothin'. And in the middle of Fuck You they played Motorhead's song Overkill! I can't quite remember if we got the song Horrorscope though...

March Into Fire
Step By Step
Adapt or Die
Omega Wave
Twisted Into Form
Through Eyes of Glass
Chalice of Blood

For Overkill, we didn't get Nice Day For A Funeral but we did get Thanx For Nothin'. And in the middle of Fuck You they played Motorhead's song Overkill! I can't quite remember if we got the song Horrorscope though...

Here are my thoughts on the Atlanta show with the complete setlists for Forbidden and Overkill:

Fucking awesome show last night...Bonded By Blood-- I have an ep of theirs, never listen to it. They were decent, and the kids loved them. Gama Bomb- not really familiar, again the kids went apeshit over them. Same for Evile.

Weird seeing lots of under-20 people with cut-off shirts, white high tops, jean jackets with patches (Surf Nicaragua, Fates Warning, Megadeth, etc) skankin' around.

But Forbidden. Unreal. Russ Anderson looked stoned out of his mind (he even made a little toke gesture during "Through Eyes of Glass") and he couldn't quite hit his high notes, but overall, the band was tight and very energetic. While Russ was showing his age, Locicero looked not one year over 30 and was thrashing about, as was Camacho. I didn't pay too much attention to Steve Smyth as he was on the other side of the stage, but Forbidden just shredded the place. Despite knowing that Overkill is one of the most formidable live acts going, and have been for years, I didn't know if they could decimate the place like Forbidden. I also was a little disappointed that Forbidden didn't play another 1-2 songs...

Set:
Alpha Century
March Into Fire
Step By Step
Adapt or Die
Omega Wave
Twisted Into Form
Through Eyes of Glass
Chalice of Blood

Overkill. Fuckin' Overkill. Blitz's face continues to age while his body continues to get younger, and his hair is steady at 1987. Just unreal-- between him and Verni, the torch of old-school thrash is still carried high-- the energy, the tight playing, the strobes, lights, smoke-- they simply put on one of the best all-around metal shows imaginable. They are 40-somethings going on age 20. A verrry solid set list, too.

The Green and Black
Rotten to the Core
Wrecking Crew
Infectious
Bring Me the Night
Hammerhead
Ironbound
Necroshine
Thanx for Nothin'
Give a Little
Hello From the Gutter
Where It Hurts
Old School

Encore:
Horrorscope
Elimination
Fuck You
Overkill (Motorhead)
Fuck You (ending/reprise)

Honestly, it's been 16 years since I last saw Overkill, and then I thought they were at the top of live metal-- 16 years and they still just flat-out crush.

Sad no "In Union We Stand" was played, but regardless, they could probably pull out a set of clunkers and still decimate.

Good call on Russ being stoned....I was watching some current vids from Forbidden on youtube and he looked like a big heavy zombie on stage. I still cannot wait for this show. It is a rare thing to have all bands I like on one bill. I am really excited to finally see Gamma Bomb.

March Into Fire
Step By Step
Adapt or Die
Omega Wave
Twisted Into Form
Through Eyes of Glass
Chalice of Blood

We got Horrorscope. Nice day for a funeral would have been awesome though! About 2/3 of the setlist was different from when I saw them in Austin last April. Overkill is one of those bands that has so much amazing material that they could probably do 3 or 4 completely different setlists and still crush.

We got Horrorscope. Nice day for a funeral would have been awesome though! About 2/3 of the setlist was different from when I saw them in Austin last April. Overkill is one of those bands that has so much amazing material that they could probably do 3 or 4 completely different setlists and still crush.

I do love when bands are able to switch it up on tour. It makes it more exciting because you never know if it is going to be a different set when you are there. Plus it shows great skill in a band when they can just pull out old songs and change it up.

I was pleased with the turnout, too-- Monday night in Atlanta-- I'm guessing 400, maybe more?

I was pleasantly surprised. The last time Overkill was here (mid/late '90s) they probably played in front of maybe 100? And they were arguably a more recognizeable name at that point.

I saw this package in Raleigh a few nights ago. It was an OK turn out. I'm not really into the newer thrash bands, not bad stuff just lived through that scene once and one Exodus is enough for me. But it was cool to catch Forbidden and Overkill together I had never seen them way back when. Odd considering I had seen every other thrash band in the early 90s.
I really like Forbidden and was looking so forward to seeing them but I most say it seemed really short. Although they were good it was like seeing any other average band, not much different from the green openers. However when Overkill took the stage it woke everyone up. Goddamn I had not see a band that good in a long time. I hope for the sake of the newer bands they are taken some serious notes from those veterans.
So as I stood in the audience in a daze of memory envisioning what the show would have been like so many years earlier I'm shocked back to the moment by a body flying through the air, don't see that much anymore so it caught me off guard. Though it was not as chaotic flying though the air like so many years ago it was more like the "please catch me as I slip out over the audience in a safe way to show how much I''m into this", but not matter. And the pit was missing from the scene which always makes the thrash show appear as if something is missing. But hey I'm too old for it now anyway.