From Fear to Love: UNaverage Opeth Review

Adventageous, if you go to the South Shore Plaza in Braintree, you can order Still Life from FYE (I did). You could probably also order it from Newbury Comics, but I haven't tried, since I already have the album. Hope that helps, since you said you're from Cape Cod, it probably wouldn't be too hard to get to the South Shore Plaza.

LordHypnos said:
You know nothing of Opeth's influences. You know nothing of Camel. You have no stature to make any comparison of anything related to either band, n00b. There is no Camel "sound" in Morningrise, the only relation being that they both share the progressive idiom.

I saw Camel on their farewell tour twice, and once on their tour before that. I have been a die hard fan for a long time. Dont make assumptions about what music i respect or like. Just try not to be so defensive when you make an outlandish assumption about a bands sound comparing to a band who they sound nothing like. Opeth can be influenced heavily by camel, and sound NOTHING like them. "loser".

dude, seriously...chill

hm...here we go again :D

KennonKun wrote a good reply. i said Opeth, on Deliverance, sounded like a Tool meets Camel kind of metal. well, it was kind of a wierd and funny relation, but i didnt really mean the songwriting, i meant the general sound...as if you were had it on but were barely listening which i was probably doing at the time. but on the other hand, while other albums were not so "Tool" sounding, I hear influence from Camel in every record. thats just me. besides im not telling people what Opeth did on their records, im just drawing lines based on what i hear. to say that one of Opeth's songs is modeled after a Camel song would be bad, but i know because ive heard that Camel be an <i>inspiration</i> of Opeth's and when i listen to them i hear that such inspiration....influenced a bit through the music. beyond now tho it's pretty much useless to try to explain it if people will not either drop the discussion or understand it.

@kno talint: hm...your version was boring o_O

@dobbit: i appreciate the help. yes, i go to braintree quite often to get old Magic packs. i will chack it, i tried newbury comics down here, and they just said out of print, sad Day.

Peace :devil:

Adventageous said:
now i wont bother going into the emotional reprecussions of the sorrow the band seems to wreak or extreme beauty with which the lyrics happen to mesh with the music, because only a handful of you would probably want to hear it. but yeah, we all listen to Opeth for those reasons, whether you like it or not.
Why does everyone believe Opeth are so profound? So charged with emotional beauty? They're a bloody not-quite death metal band with soft bits. If my apple had soft bits in it, I'd throw it out, not put it on display and cry about it at night.

ShroudOfDusk said:
Why does everyone believe Opeth are so profound? So charged with emotional beauty? They're a bloody not-quite death metal band with soft bits. If my apple had soft bits in it, I'd throw it out, not put it on display and cry about it at night.
looking forward to hearing the replies to this (although i agree).

In my opinion, the writer gets to decide whether or not his album is a concept. Not the listener.

Was that like directed to me? ..

Shroud: In the way that the band seems to care much more about the music, in that the vocals are following a concept, in that the lyrics accompany the music and vice-versa perfectly, in that they write lyrics that are fun to figure out and not ridiculous like Tool's, for example.

o·pin·ion
1. A belief or conclusion held with confidence but not substantiated by positive knowledge or proof: “The world is not run by thought, nor by imagination, but by opinion” (Elizabeth Drew).
2. A judgment based on special knowledge and given by an expert: a medical opinion.
3. A judgment or estimation of the merit of a person or thing: has a low opinion of braggarts.
4. The prevailing view: public opinion.
5. Law. A formal statement by a court or other adjudicative body of the legal reasons and principles for the conclusions of the court.

And if you have not recognized yet, you have been discussing the whole issue for a
few months again and again.

i hate when people start bagging opinons, and then when someone puts the dictionary definition in the thread :p

i think that themes in the lyrics are not enough to warrant the label concept, however it doesnt have to be a story, like "dark side of the moon" and "aqualung" they explore issues and give opinons in a coherent argument, but not necessarily a narrative

Land of grey and Pink - what happened to you? At one point, I considered you one of the coolest members here. You had a very diverse (mostly prog) music style and were open & honest - but not evil!.

This just makes me laugh. Who cares if someone compares Opeth to Camel. When I first tried to describe my friends to Opeth, I compared them to a mix of Pink Floyd, Old Metallica, Yes and Morbid Angel. I would never make that comparison now, but then, I was a n00b and never heard of any other progressive bands or much underground stuff from England.

You guys take it way too seriously.

Opeth fans are so great.

i like RjBeals's outlook. i dont think we need to justify why we like Opeth, we all do, and thats the point of having a forum, to discuss, not flame.
but let me stress. i dont want to be considered a n00b at anything. i have a different view on the topic than others, which (whattya know!) makes it an apparent UNaverage view in this forum to have sparked a lot of debate, eh?

Peace :devil:

oh im special, just not the way youre thinking :D

thank you for proving my point. you all need to calm down. and take a break. furthermore, if you see no power in the band you love, then 1. you arent really listening like the rest of us, 2. you dont love them.

i also did not say my review was special anywhere, i said it was unaverage, the review is unaverage, not my interest in the band. just take the review for what it is will you?

RJ, the name is hypnos, not land of grey and pink. And that is because it is impossible to be on this forum for me and not have something negative to say often....id have to be a brainless, lobotomized, ignorant douchebag like many of the people on here in order to maintain such an irrational positive attitude 24/7.

I have the same music taste i used to, and im just as happy and interested in things as i always was...maybe this forum can get back on its feet sometime soon though? that way it brings out the best in everyone. But as it lays now...it seems im not the ONLY one to have a bad attitude from time to time.

Im not evil, i just speak my mind and often its a strong opinion about something i care a lot about, that doesnt make me evil...just passionate.

All of you ladies who keep whining about my behavior need to grow some balls...youre in a death metal fan forum, and youre whining about how im being "SOOoo MEaN To YoU!!?!"" wah wah wah :Smug:

if you dont like my posts, dont read them or pay attention to them. simple as that.

abcdefg said:
busch is a fucking cunt!
BUSCH OR BUSH?

IM251612.gif

or

bush.jpg

or

small-green-shrub.png