Gamma Ray: Made of your existence

I love them as well!
i love the double live album!
Got to see Dirk the bass player play with an Australian band last year at a local venue in Melb. was really good to see this. Not as good as it would be to see the whole band live though.

Originally posted by parimal2k29
oh... :D
so, do u think they'll release a new album this year?

Rumour is yes as at the end of the year they are going ona promotional tour of sorts.
Lucky us here in Australia get them here at the end of the year for this tour!

Well I hope waht I have been told from so called reliable sorces is true:D

i think they've done a lot of great things in the past. my favourite gamma ray song has to be 18 years (not a popular choice i guess), and i like most things out of iag, snm and most of all rid. i find their latest albums (sois, powerplant) quite lame and clicheish though, but i feel nwo was an improvement.
however, imo they're running out of ideas at a very fast pace. :cry:

rahvin.

I love Gamma Ray. For a long time I thought Megadeth's RIP was the best 'melodic' metal album ever, until I heard Land of the Free. I think it is a classic now, and even surpasses RIP IMO, and I'm tempted to buy the remastered version...heh.

Tracks like Rebellion in Dreamland, Land of the Free, Abyss of the Void, Afterlife...I can listen to all day and all night.

I don't think they ever reached that level of greatness since, although I do love SOIS, Powerplant, and NWO - just not quite as magnificent as Land of the Free.

And I do prefer them to Helloween. :)

this band KICKS ASS!
i just happen to love the last album, contrary to what people tend to think... 'they running out of ideas' and this and that... so what! as long as it sounds good it does it for me...

Originally posted by EagleFlyFree
'they running out of ideas' and this and that... so what! as long as it sounds good it does it for me...

well, my whole point is: if they run out of ideas they keep on doing the same songs over and over, or maybe they do borrow some ideas from other bands. of course the quality might still be decent, but i'm a bit disillusioned when i face lack of innovation.
of course everyone's entitled to feel different about it. however, if you think their latest, say, 3 albums are full of fresh ideas i'm open to discussion. :)

rahvin.

Originally posted by rahvin

well, my whole point is: if they run out of ideas they keep on doing the same songs over and over, or maybe they do borrow some ideas from other bands. of course the quality might still be decent, but i'm a bit disillusioned when i face lack of innovation.
of course everyone's entitled to feel different about it. however, if you think their latest, say, 3 albums are full of fresh ideas i'm open to discussion. :)

rahvin.

It's an interesting point because sometimes the "formula" just works. I think that's why I like Gamma Ray because (i) I like the style to begin with, and (ii) I can count on them to make an album that I can rely on being great, in their own style of technical power metal.

Having said that, I'm all for musical evolution - but sometimes it works for the better, and other times it backfires. The interesting point though is that bands sometimes get criticized for changing their style of play. Remember what happened to Iron Maiden when they released Somwhere in Time for example? People complained that they introduced keyboards to their sound. Or look at Helloween when they released Pink Bubbles that go Ape. Everyone complained that they became a 'hard rock' band. And then look at Metallica, and all the respect they lost from the metal communities around the world...

Sometimes I like the 'reliability' of a band I guess - and Gamma Ray never seem to fail in that department, to the point where I think Kai Hansen has superceded his old band, Helloween.

@lucioargento: i think gamma ray right now are a better band than helloween are at present. still i tend to like almost any kind of evolution in a band, as long as this doesn't mean abandoning one's own style to adopt one that's more popular. i'm (kinda) happy gamma ray stayed consistent with their metal roots because frankly they play metal quite well. only, i'm getting tired of hearing tunes that sound almost always the same on the last 2-3 records... "no return", "last before the storm", "18 years", "rebellion in dreamland", "land of the free", "valley of the kings" are all songs in the same vein and yet they are very varied. i have the feeling kai's running out of new melodies, althought the technical quality may still be very good. :)

rahvin.

Yes we are. And no, i don't think they're running out of ideas. It's been some time they've adapted to the style, and new metal powermetal bands are going that side... now Gamma Ray want to bring in something new. That's where a guys named Mark (not this mark). He wrote a book about the Iluminatees and he's a GR fan too. So no, not out of ideas... experimenting and succeding with new techniques is much likely..hehe :D ( i enjoy biasism)

Gamma Ray rules for not changing there style with the times like every other GAY band out there.

Kia Hansen better go dugga dugga dugga till the cows come home!!!!!!!!!!! he has the right, he did start the dugga dugga revolution with Helloween! and you can't deny the dugga dugga, it just makes you feel the best!!!!!!!!!!!