Gentle Giant Remasters

ggiant

New Metal Member
Feb 24, 2010
Ken, are these really the first time these have been remastered
from the original master tapes? Are they worth buying for the
6th time? Maybe, they are the greatest band of all-time!

To the best of my knowledge this really is the first time they have been transferred from the original masters. In fact I believe that the albums Eroc mastered for Repertoire were not taken from original masters - they were transferred from safety copies sitting in Germany. I haven't cracked any open to compare them - good or bad. Like any other reissue I'm sure that if you surf around on the various prog forums you will find guys that say they are a revelation and their counterparts that say they blow chunks. They are cheap though...

Man, there are so many versions of these f'n albums. These are the ones on Alucard you're referring to?

:erk:One Band I could never get into as a young lad.. Never could get past the vocals :yuk::ill::puke:

Derek Shulman wasn't a great vocalist but he was a strong frontman. When GG did the 3 part harmonies, he blended in perfectly.

:cool:Ok Ill respect that Ken what would be your fav. GG album, My older brother from Minnesota was into then, He used to play,""Octopus"" all the time.

My personal fav is Octopus although In A Glass House is just as good!
Both Masterpieces!!! Free Hand is Killer, and Three Friends is very
underrated! Nobody sounded like Gentle Giant. A complete original!
Enjoy:ill:

Just to clarify in case anyone knows, is Alucard planning on also remastering the first 4 GG albums and/or the last one? I've only seen them release/announce In A Glass House thru Giant For A Day. Or is another label responsible for those releases? I lose track of the politics behind this stuff...

To the best of my knowledge, the first 2, Gentle Giant & Acquiring the Taste
are owned by Vertigo UK, and the 3rd & 4th, Three Friends & Octopus are owned by Vertigo UK and Columbia USA. Civilian is owned by EMI Capitol but i don't think the band wants to reissue it because it is not very good! Just like the last set of reissues these titles were not released. I have the first 4 on Japanese pressings and they sound very good, but are expensive!