Geoff Tate for ProgPower?

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
I'm not talking 'bout 'Ryche... but wouldn't it be great if Geoff Tate's solo band performed at ProgPower? As most of you know, Geoff Tate released one of music's best albums last year... full of mellow trip-hop and smooth jazz-tinged retro-pop. I think Geoff Tate would be a great "wildcard" act... not power or prog metal... but quite familiar with fans of those genres... his performance would be a great opportunity for the metal crowds to "chill" and soak in the delicate beauty of his ethereal music.

Are you serious? The Geoff Tate album could be one of the worst CD's of all time. Not only that, but his attitude in not wanting anything else to do with metal is a joke.

That man is nothing without Chris DeGarmo - as proved by his solo 'effort'. It ranks alongside Tolkki's Hymn to Life IMO.

PMF, thanks for reminding me that there was an album last year that was worse than Timo Tolkki's. For someone who loves Queensryche - me, in case you were wondering - Tate's solo album was the biggest pile of garbage I've ever heard.

Originally posted by ProgMetalFan
I'm not talking 'bout 'Ryche... but wouldn't it be great if Geoff Tate's solo band performed at ProgPower? As most of you know, Geoff Tate released one of music's best albums last year... full of mellow trip-hop and smooth jazz-tinged retro-pop. I think Geoff Tate would be a great "wildcard" act... not power or prog metal... but quite familiar with fans of those genres... his performance would be a great opportunity for the metal crowds to "chill" and soak in the delicate beauty of his ethereal music.

I really hope this is a joke because if it isn't, you really have absolutely no clue as to what Glenn and the fans of this festival are looking for. The last thing we want is a man who created the worst solo album in the history of Mankind performing at the greatest festival in the history of mankind.

I could summarize my thoughts in one word. Here it comes Mo:

TIGHT:Smokin:

The man has (or maybe had..) a great set of pipes and Operation Mindcrime is one of my top three albums ever.

That being said, he should never play Progpower....Maybe ten years ago I would have been interested....not anymore.

Chris DeGarmo is back with Queensryche. Nothing has been said about him rejoining the band for sure yet but he is working on the new studio material. Very good news for any 'Ryche fans like myself.

Originally posted by Mephistopheles
Chris DeGarmo is back with Queensryche.

That's the good news.

What about Geoff Tate though - will he sing on the next Queensryche record after all his whining and complaining about wanting nothing more to do with the metal scene?

His solo album was indeed a HUGE pile of steaming horse turd.

I think ProgMetalFan is having a good laugh at this thread, considering I am *just* now noticing the winkie smilie he's got up next to the titled/subject of the thread...

If that's the case, I too shall now laugh. A good, deep belly laugh.

Aw, Geoff's album wasn't *that* bad. I didn't really like it, and I certainly wouldn't want an actual metal band to lose a slot to him, but I personally thought it was admirable for him to make the album. Obviously it wasn't going to appeal to most of the Queensryche fans and it wasn't exactly on the top of the pop charts either. But he did what he wanted to do. I caught him live last summer and he was terrific - the songs came off much better live, the QR songs were of course great, his voice sounded very good, and he seemed to be having a great time.

That having been said, I hope he keeps his mellow trip hop retro pop whatever out of the next Queensryche album. :p

Geoff SHOULD show up..... We can either make him a human dart board, or maybe a dunk tank. All procedes going to charity of course. If we can't get him, maybe Manowar would volunteer for this? Does babyoil float on water?????

J-Dubya

I give Geoff Tate credit for trying something new and experimenting...blah blah.....cheesy credit line.....blah.....

The album sucked! It's cool if you don't want to keep your metal roots, but don't promote your album in metal areas!!!!:mad:

It wasn't just the disc that sucked; my dumb ass actually went to his show when he came to town promoting that piece of garbage...the only thing worse than hearing it on your CD player is to witness it live (at least you can turn your CD player off).

Boy, I certainly do hope that suggesting him for a future ProgPower was just a clever joke on PMF's part! I don't even want to see that jackass playing the pre-party...