give me some feedback on this latest metalcore-ish mix...

colonel kurtz

Sep 7, 2006
one of the tracks hosted @ http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9170165

i finished this last night at like 5am...myself and the band were happy with the result, but then i noticed while listening in the car today that some of the tom hits seem to stick out way too much, not sure if it's just the speakers in that car or a general problem, because i haven't noticed it otherwise

anyways, the mix is comprised of:

acoustic drums with the kick and toms replaced - snare and OH's are 100% natural

guitars were tracked thru a TS7-->XXX-->avatar V30 4x12-->SM57/NT5. 1st time i've tracked thru amps in a while, and my 1st crack using an SDC on a cab, and i think the results are respectable. not amazing, but not obviously lacking or anything.

bass is a schecter elite 5 with brand new d'addario's, DI'd thru an art mpa gold, which then got compressed to shit...soloC and recabinet 8x10 impulses came after that

vocals...at4033 on the screamed shit, NT2a for the singing, mpa gold here again for the preamp. not much special going on here, other than the fact that i pushed the tube input stage of the mpa pretty hard and distorted the piss out of the screamed vocals just to see how it would sound...the band liked it, so the tracks stayed.

Didn't really notice the tom hits that much.
I mainly listen to guitar tones at the moment because I am trying to
improve my own reamping skills and I was impressed by how you were
able to tame the fizz and yet still keep the character of the distortion sound.

I was impressed by how you were
able to tame the fizz and yet still keep the character of the distortion sound

i got lucky on that one...not sure if it was the XXX, the cab, or the mics, but there wasn't much fizz to deal with on this one!

the whole mix sounds muffled and weak, and myspace sound quality isnt helping

you're right. i referenced a couple commercial releases next to this mix, and it sounded lick dick...re-mixed and put on soundclick, link is now in 1st post