GMD Poll: Most Consistent (Good) Metal Bands

Dak

mentat
Aug 9, 2008
Among the Horrors
Rules copied from other similar polls:

please submit your lists by 11:59pm EST on JULY 6th.

(reminder of the rules:
- Only select from the nominated bands list.
- please submit at least 5 bands
- first place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.

Nominated bands list:

Bolt Thrower
Amon Amarth
Katatonia
Amorphis (Post Tales-)
Suffocation
Illdisposed
Exodus
Malevolent Creation
Iron Maiden
Running Wild
Warbringer
Lamb of God (Ashes of the Wake-)
Agalloch
Black Label Society
Paradise Lost
Dismember
Dying Fetus
Ram
Sodom
October Tide
Crowbar
Motorhead
Type O Negative
Craft
Skepticism
Incantation
Carpathian Forest
Razor
D.R.I.
The Chasm
Skyclad
Manowar
Reverend Bizarre
Church of Misery
Black Sabbath
Pagan Altar
Solstice
Madder Mortem
Sabbat
Faustcoven
Immolation
Danzig
Revocation
Trivium
Obituary
Devildriver
Jungle Rot
Runemagick
Nokturnal Mortum
Morbid Angel
Darkthrone (First 4)
Burzum
Summoning
Manilla Road
Cannibal Corpse
Nifelheim
Slough Feg
Sabat (Jap)
Moonsorrow
Saint Vitus
Napalm Death
Incantation
Asphyx
Artillery
Carcass
Cathedral
Mercyless
Merciless
Vader
Voivod
Graveland
Enslaved
Mortem*
Ildjarn*

Last edited:
Mortem had some votes and I can’t see them on there. Perhaps I’m blind.

You should probably make it clear that it’s the Japanese Sabbat as well.

I"ll put my list once I listen to every album from every fucking band here. Otherwise it doesnt seem like a worthwhile exercise to just put my 5 favorites from the list.

Lol Darkthrone “first four” categorically contradicts the point of this thread.

I specified in the nomination period that one can select a period for a band where they put out at least 4 albums of quality content of a similar style. I don't listen to Darkthrone but iirc they started doing style changes later on.

I specified in the nomination period that one can select a period for a band where they put out at least 4 albums of quality content of a similar style. I don't listen to Darkthrone but iirc they started doing style changes later on.

Their first album is death metal and the next three are black metal (and stylistically A Blaze in the Northern Sky and Transilvanian Hunger are very different types of black metal).

While Darkthrone have certainly evolved, all their albums are still some form of extreme metal. Their disgography on the whole is pretty good. None of their new stuff touches the classics for me but I still enjoy nearly all of their releases. Dark Thrones and Black Flags, Circle the Wagons and The Cult is Alive are the ones I don’t really like at all. For a band with a discography this large that’s quite an achievement.

While Darkthrone have certainly evolved, all their albums are still some form of extreme metal. Their disgography on the whole is pretty good. None of their new stuff touches the classics for me but I still enjoy nearly all of their releases. Dark Thrones and Black Flags, Circle the Wagons and The Cult is Alive are the ones I don’t really like at all. For a band with a discography this large that’s quite an achievement.

Surely "some form of extreme metal" isn't enough to establish stylistic consistency though, yes? Emperor's releases from Wrath through Prometheus are all some form of extreme metal, but I don't think many people would describe them as stylistically consistent.

Surely "some form of extreme metal" isn't enough to establish stylistic consistency though, yes? Emperor's releases from Wrath through Prometheus are all some form of extreme metal, but I don't think many people would describe them as stylistically consistent.

I’d be fine including Emperor if I considered them to be at all consistent. But I don’t like their final 2 releases at all. It’s hardy like the shift in sound of Amorphis or Anathema.