GMD Social Poll: Top Ten Films of 1985

CiG

Dimension Hatröss
May 22, 2015
W.A.
rateyourmusic.com
1985.jpg

RYM film chart

Deadline is March 15th. If you need an extension just say so and it will absolutely be considered. This is usually just a soft deadline to make sure everybody doesn't become complacent.

REMEMBER for those of you who haven't seen many films from this year or in general, you can always submit lists as small as only having 5 submissions.

Rules:

- Please submit at least 5 films.
- First place in your rankings gets 10 points, 2nd gets 9, etcetc, 10th gets 1.
- Feel free to post more than 10, but only the top 10 will get points.
- Feel free to post less than 10, the same scoring will apply.
- Feel free not to rank your picks, in which case all ten picks will get 5.5 points.
- If you're so much of a dick that you have to post more than 10 unranked picks, the maths will be worked out.

source.gif

1. Back to the Future
2. Fletch
3. Rocky IV
4. Cocoon
5. Rambo: First Blood Part II
6. Porky's Revenge
7. Teen Wolf
8. Moving Violations
9. The Goonies
10. Weird Science

I'd like to have given at least a HM to Mad Max, but after seeing it again the other night on TV and realising what a fucking embarrassment it was to the franchise I couldn't do it.

I've been the opposite with Beyond Thunderdome, came up hating it but over the years it grew on me. It definitely has some major issues and all that but I love Master Blaster. :D

Reactions: zerostatic
There is some good characters in it. Angry plays a really good crazy man. The guy that plays Master nearly does the best acting in the entire movie when Blaster gets taken out. Bruce Spence nearly always plays good roles and even Mel did okay, but I think they both did better in Mad Max 2. I wasn't a fan of Tina and although she looked okay in the part I didn't like her as Aunty, but I understand why they used her as a draw card for overseas audiences. But my biggest problem with it was that I thought the story was weak.

Reactions: CiG
The story was family friendly in the worst kind of ways, and yeah I didn't like Tina either. She's just so cheesy. In general I really enjoy the first half of the film, and the totally-not-a-Peter-Pan-ripoff second half dips hard, but does kind of redeem itself with scenes like this:

I also think the soundtrack contributed greatly to the lighter tone of the film. Might actually be my least favourite thing about it. The scenes in the dome rule though, Barter Town was a great addition to the Mad Max world I think.

Reactions: Slammed
One of my problems these days is whenever the dome comes up I can't think of anything but the MAD comics parody of the movie where they chant "Two men enter one with sleeves, no more jumpers just shirts please."

Unashamed :p

35850afe29c1014221c56fb646e37508.jpg

1. L'amour braque (Andrzej Zulawski)
2. Flesh + Blood (Paul Verhoeven)
3. Phenomena (Dario Argento)
4. To Live and Die in LA (William Friedkin)
5. Come and See (Elem Klimov)
6. Cut and Run (Ruggero Deodato)
7. New Wave Hookers (Gregory Dark)
8. Day of the Dead (George Romero)
9. Re-Animator (Stuart Gordon)
10. Clue (Johnathan Lynn)

Demons
Lifeforce
A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Guinea Pig 2: Flower of Flesh and Blood
Ghoulies
Insignificance
Return of the Living Dead
Death Wish 3

Last edited:
2. Flesh + Blood (Paul Verhoeven)
http://vorticemortale.blogspot.com said:
With Flesh + Blood, Verhoeven dispenses with the whimsical fantasy elements prevalent in so many medieval tales preferring instead to present 1500’s Europe as a plague infested cesspool populated by cutthroats, backstabbers and rapists. Its no wonder the original posters for the film contained a caption claiming the film to be “A mirror of our time”.

I was actually reading your review in December and got inspired to watch the film again. It might be one of the few films I've watched where I like it more and more and more with every return. Susan Tyrrell (the miscarriaging aged prostitute) and Ronald Lacey (the insane cardinal) have slowly become my favourite characters.

I was actually reading your review in December and got inspired to watch the film again. It might be one of the few films I've watched where I like it more and more and more with every return. Susan Tyrrell (the miscarriaging aged prostitute) and Ronald Lacey (the insane cardinal) have slowly become my favourite characters.
Tyrrell rules!

What a great year.

Putting down a prelim list in case I forget this time:

1. Come and See (Klimov)
2. After Hours (Scorsese)
3. Brazil (Gilliam)
4. Ran (Kurosawa)
5. Phenomena (Argento)
6. Back to the Future (Zemeckis)
7. Clue (Lynn)
8. Re-Animator (Gordon)
9. Demons (Bava)
10. The Goonies (Donner)

tumblr_n7xlynxB161r04g55o1_500.gifv

1. Invasion U.S.A.
2. American Ninja
3. Rambo: First Blood Part 2
4. Code of Silence
5. Commando
6. Death Wish 3
7. Re-Animator
8. Pray for Death
9. To Live and Die in L.A.
10. Rocky 4

11. Return of the Living Dead
12. Fright Night
13. Teen Wolf
14. Vision Quest
15. The Goonies
16. Back to the Future
17. Enemy Mine
18. Warbus
19. Silver Bullet
20. Gymkata:err:

Had to leave a lot of stuff off, i like tons of shit from this year maybe re do later:erk:

tumblr_m3ua4lNhWK1qedb29o1_500.gif