Going to be in NYC January 21st to Feb 3rd - things to do?

pollution

Yes,they call me Aki too.
Jul 18, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
So, I will make the trip over the pond to take part on a work-related IT course in Manhattan for two weeks late January to early Feb. Will arrive JFK on the evening of Saturday January 21st and stay until Friday 3rd of February (which unfortunately is the day when the SymX/IE concert is in NJ so not gonna make it to that one).

Going to also have my hotel near Times Square (pretty much on the corner of 52nd street / 8th Avenue) so should be a good location for doing stuff in the evenings after getting out of the course 5pm every day (plus there's the full weekend too without any program).

So if anyone in the area wants to go for a beer / coffee / dinner or can give hints of concerts, great decent-price restaurants, or anything else to do in Manhattan or nearby please let me know! Only sure thing I have booked so far is the Tool concert in NJ on 1st of February. Also considering to go to the Rangers-Jets NHL game on the 24th but not sure about that yet.

Oh man, so much to do in NYC, you will wear yourself out. Definitely try to take in a show if you can on Broadway. Hit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and prepare to spend 3 hours there. Check out the Museum of Natural History for a shorter time. Go check out the statue of liberty, but don't go out to it, just see it. Go skating on the Rockefeller Ice Rink, and take the tour to the top of either Rockefeller Center or The Empire State Building at night (dress warm). Sit at Times Square and people watch. At any hour. If you want to see Ground Zero memorial, you'll need a pass (pick it up online) and about 1.5 hours. There will be a line but it does move fairly quickly. It's p. cool. Find a bakery down a side street and pop in and get a bagel for breakfast. Go shopping down 5th Avenue. Go to Andrew WK's bar - the Santos House. Go to Grand Central Station and wander around, walk through the market there (it's neat to see in such a large city, a grocery store in the middle of everything).

Buy nothing from people on the street except vendors with carts. Do not take CD's from people on the street (seriously don't fucking touch the CDs or you just bought it). Cabs are around $10 a pop. They're also the quickest way from A-B, but during the day, the subway is incredibly efficient. you won't wait for more than 3 minutes for a car. Don't expect to get a cab in a rainstorm, or when it's snowing hard. Walk everywhere. If possible, weather permitting, walk through central park.

Avoid the Guggenheim, it was lame. Buy nuts from a street vendor.

John Stewart and Stephen Colbert both tape their shows during the weekdays but it'll be an event for you between 2 (pick up tickets), 4, (wait in line) and 5:15 (show ends). The only way I know of to get tickets is to stalk the twitter feed. It was a good time, but I wouldn't do it twice.

Walk around LATE. at 12:30am, we were passing the Rockefeller Center and caught a 30 Rock Set shoot outside. It was very cool. Go see a Rangers Game at MSG. Go see Occupy Wallstreet. Go see Wallstreet.

The Museum of Modern Art is a joke. Unless you like Modern Art, which I hate. Go see St. Patrick's Cathedral, even if you're not religious. It is epic. Walk the Brooklyn Bridge. Eat at Chelsea Market Place and if you're into photography, or if you're not try and make it to B&H photo.

Just came back from there in October, had a fun as fuck time.

I agree with a lot above, but some additions:

Go to Katz's Deli. Have the pastrami sandwich. Thank me later.

Don't go to Forbidden Planet's NYC store. It isn't as good as the one in London. On the other hand, there is a used book store on the same block that is excellent.

The Cloisters is another good museum, but is kinda a hike from Times Square. (It is north of the GW bridge) But, it is a beautiful area up there.

So, I will make the trip over the pond to take part on a work-related IT course in Manhattan for two weeks late January to early Feb. Will arrive JFK on the evening of Saturday January 21st and stay until Friday 3rd of February (which unfortunately is the day when the SymX/IE concert is in NJ so not gonna make it to that one).

Going to also have my hotel near Times Square (pretty much on the corner of 52nd street / 8th Avenue) so should be a good location for doing stuff in the evenings after getting out of the course 5pm every day (plus there's the full weekend too without any program).

So if anyone in the area wants to go for a beer / coffee / dinner or can give hints of concerts, great decent-price restaurants, or anything else to do in Manhattan or nearby please let me know! Only sure thing I have booked so far is the Tool concert in NJ on 1st of February. Also considering to go to the Rangers-Jets NHL game on the 24th but not sure about that yet.

Aki,
Theres about 6 concerts worth going in the area in January alone, including the sx/iced earth in CT on jan31st. I'll get youna list and see if any fall on the dates you're here. Would love to hang out bro!

Gonna disagree with nailz on the street vendor thing. I bought my 'Rolex' from some guy in a Dunkin Donuts on Canal Street. I don't care if it's fake, it works great and looks ballin. Make sure to not pay the price they suggest -- you can easily barter down.

You can get to Little Italy and Chinatown from Canal Street too. Make sure you stop by Little Italy and get a scoop of gelato. It seriously tops the stuff I had in real Italy a few years back. Delicious.

Hit up the Museum of Natural History. It's pretty easy to spend a whole day there so make sure to time yourself if you're on a schedule.

Times Square is worth a look, especially at night, but it's overrated. Just a lot of overpriced shops for the most part.

Broadway shows are very expensive, but you can get cheaper tickets at certain times of the day for shows later that night. The line gets really long. Sorry I can't be more helpful with that....drawing a blank on exactly how it works.

I went for 3 or 4 days in July and could go back for a few more months and not get bored. You'll have no trouble at all. Just be smart and watch your surroundings.

You guys are NUTS! Longshot, I love you bro, but Forbidden Planet is by far the best comic book place in NYC! Granted I am sure the London one is better, but the Union Square place rules. I've gotten so much shit from them and the staff is so cool. Atmosphere is way better than Midtown Comics too. And Nailz, idk whatcha talkin' about duder, but the Guggenheim is the best museum in the city. Every time I've been there I've seen amazing stuff.

Food-wise, as Longshot said Katz's rules, but it's kind of touristy. Definitely try Shake Shack if you're into burgers. Arguably the best burger you will ever have, end of story. They are scattered all over the city now so finding one shouldn't be too difficult. Warning though: be prepared to wait on a long line if you're going to the one in Madison Sq Park or the one in Midtown. The one on the upper east side is your best bet regarding the lines. I recommend the shack-stack for first timers. If you're into Japanese food, Momofuku Noodle Bar (technically, Momofuku is Korean and American influenced as well) and Ippudo Ramen are the best places IMO for Ramen, which is amazing in the cold Winter months. Of the two, I prefer Momofuku because they have better pork buns (you MUST try these if you go there, they're small and you get two of them so you can split them if you want) and they make their own soft-serve ice cream which rules as well. For Sushi and other Japanese foods on the more authentic side of things St. Marks (which is now called Japan Town) rules as well. For Pizza, you can pretty much go anywhere for a decent slice, but the REAL stuff is in Brooklyn. Di Fara's in the Midwood area is one of the oldest running "classic old school" NYC pizza places that hasn't sold out to corporate chains and the same guy comes in every day and spends 12 hours making pizzas for hungry patrons, and has been doing so for about 40+ years if I'm not mistaken. Lucalli's Pizza in Carol Gardens is a relatively new place, but is arguably the best pizza place in the city as well. Also fyi, all of these places are relatively in-expensive. For mid to uppier tier restaurants: David Burke's Townhouse, Aquavit, Shun Lee (Linc Center one only), and Peter Luger's are all worth it if you want to spend a little extra.

Idle Hands and Duffs are two metal bars that are cool spots if you're into that sort of thing. There are also alot of cool bars on North 6 st in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Central park is always really cool to visit anytime no matter what. Times Square is cool at night, but it's not really cool for more than 10-15 minutes and is otherwise annoying and crowded. Gotham Comedy Club and Carolines are two cool comedy clubs if you're into that. If you wanna catch a movie, my two favorite theaters for mainstream films the E-Walk in Times Square and the Lincoln Center AMC. For indie films, the IFC theater on the lower west side is AMAZING, and so is the Film Forum on Houston. You should also probably visit Rockefeller Center and go way downtown to the ground zero/memorial area. Union Square has a lot of cool stuff to check out as well. The Museum Of Natural History is cool. Coney Island is cool too, but not so much in the winter. If this was the Summer, I'd probably highly recommend you go there, as well as the Brooklyn aquarium. The Bronx Zoo is awesome any time of the year.

Some people recommended going to Canal St. I honestly have been there a bunch and it's kind of boring. If you want a cool fake watch I guess it's fun, but there are better things to do with your time if you ask me.

So yeh, that's all I can rattle off at the top of my head. Take it from me though, a real New Yorker ovah heah.

edit:

Taxis are pretty in-expensive by and large and you can get them fairly easily anytime except for 4-6pm and even 9-10 am. During these rush hours, it's pretty difficult to get a cab, so you should have some familiarity with the subway. The subway looks way more dangerous than it is, and I guarantee you will see a homeless dude on the train giving you his story and asking for money. Don't get freaked out by this, they are harmless. The only time I would say to be careful on the subway is after 12 am in the other boroughs. But again, you could easily catch a cab at that time if you wanted to anyways.

You guys are NUTS! Longshot, I love you bro, but Forbidden Planet is by far the best comic book place in NYC!

It may be, but my expectations were raised by going to the one in London. The one in NYC is cramped in comparison. As I said, I was more impressed by the book store on the same block (for the life of me, I forget the name. It had like 3-4 stories full of books. Edit: I found it. Strand books.)

BTW, it was strange, but we were walking north of Union Square looking for dinner and was rather shocked that it wasn't that easy to find something. We eventually found a Thai place that was decent, but we must have walked 3-4 blocks and there wasn't much to be had. Maybe I just was walking up the wrong street.

BTW, it was strange, but we were walking north of Union Square looking for dinner and was rather shocked that it wasn't that easy to find something. We eventually found a Thai place that was decent, but we must have walked 3-4 blocks and there wasn't much to be had. Maybe I just was walking up the wrong street.

Union Square isn't that great of a place for food. St Marks (aka Japan Town) is a short walk from there and that's where a lot of good food is in the vicinity.

And Nailz, idk whatcha talkin' about duder, but the Guggenheim is the best museum in the city. Every time I've been there I've seen amazing stuff.

I ran through it so fast, due to the repairs they were having, and the stupid ass modern "art" on display. @ModernArtist LOOK I JUST PUT A SMALL PENCIL LINE ON A CANVAS, FINISHED LIFELONG MASTERPIECE.

@photographers LOOK I JUST TOOK A PICTURE OF NOTHING THAT I CAN'T ALREADY SEE WITH MY OWN TWO EYES AND THEN TAGGED MY NAME ON IT IN PHOTOSHOP. FINISHED LIFELONG MASTERPIECE.

;)

Dude come on, modern "art" is a bunch of self-important jackasses with ADD. At least old school artists had talent and vision, even when creating their abstract pieces. One of the "exhibits" in Guggenheim was a room papered in 1 dollar bills. I mean, come on.

Fuck, I could look at 16th Century Architecture all day and never get bored. THAT is art. What's in the Metropolitan Museum? THAT (mostly) is Art. The level of detail and exquisite portrayal of feeling, it's like looking into another time. A big white canvas with a thick blue line down the left-center? Reminds me of this family guy quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude come on, modern "art" is a bunch of self-important jackasses with ADD. At least old school artists had talent and vision, even when creating their abstract pieces. One of the "exhibits" in Guggenheim was a room papered in 1 dollar bills. I mean, come on.

As someone who went to art school, I mostly agree with you BIG time. Most of the time, modern art just pisses me off.. but sometimes, it can be kind of cool. When it actually looks like it took some time and effort.

Fuck, I could look at 16th Century Architecture all day and never get bored. THAT is art. What's in the Metropolitan Museum? THAT (mostly) is Art. The level of detail and exquisite portrayal of feeling, it's like looking into another time. A big white canvas with a thick blue line down the left-center? Reminds me of this family guy quote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTD2COqwHm4

My problem with your posts isn't so much that you don't like modern art, but that you are calling into question the definition of art based on the amount of wankery that suits your liking. Regardless of whether or not you like it, and you might think it's bullshit nonsense etc, it's still art. That's NOT a matter of opinion. But I see you brought that up already. I also kinda find it funny that a photographer is saying this stuff, because alot of people say the exact same things about photography.

Anyways, let's shelve this discussion for another thread. :)

Lots of great tips so far, thanks a lot everyone - keep 'em coming :) Sorry for my slow reply, was in Germany for Christmas/New Year and wasn't online much there.

Hit the Metropolitan Museum of Art and prepare to spend 3 hours there. Check out the Museum of Natural History for a shorter time.
Not much into art/museums but might check out the Natural History one though!

Take the tour to the top of either Rockefeller Center or The Empire State Building at night (dress warm).
These both sound like a sweet idea to get a nice touristy view over the city.

Sit at Times Square and people watch. At any hour.
Will certainly do this a bunch of times since my hotel even has Times Square on its name so it's rather close :)

If possible, weather permitting, walk through central park.
Been there once before and since it was cool will do it again for sure.

Go to Katz's Deli. Have the pastrami sandwich. Thank me later.
Checked out their website and I shall go there for something at least, will thank you later :)

Aki,
Theres about 6 concerts worth going in the area in January alone, including the sx/iced earth in CT on jan31st. I'll get youna list and see if any fall on the dates you're here. Would love to hang out bro!
Too bad the CT SX/IE show is during the week and not the weekend I'm there, definitely no way to make it because of this. But dude you should totally come to NYC on that last January weekend to hang out!

Food-wise, as Longshot said Katz's rules, but it's kind of touristy. Definitely try Shake Shack if you're into burgers. Arguably the best burger you will ever have, end of story. For Pizza, you can pretty much go anywhere for a decent slice, but the REAL stuff is in Brooklyn. Di Fara's in the Midwood area is one of the oldest running "classic old school" NYC pizza places that hasn't sold out to corporate chains and the same guy comes in every day and spends 12 hours making pizzas for hungry patrons, and has been doing so for about 40+ years if I'm not mistaken. Lucalli's Pizza in Carol Gardens is a relatively new place, but is arguably the best pizza place in the city as well.
Shake Shack seems like my kind of place! Thanks for the pizza ideas as well, may have to give one of those places a try too.

Idle Hands and Duffs are two metal bars that are cool spots if you're into that sort of thing. There are also alot of cool bars on North 6 st in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.
Never been to a metal bar in the US so sounds like something I should experience. But this depends if anyone I know in the area wants to join!

I think you two should fly to Wilmington and come hang out with ME for a couple days. :D
Yeah, Wilmington on my only free weekend in the US sounds like so much more exciting than New York so why not :lol: Maybe you should just come to NYC instead :p

Shake Shack seems like my kind of place! Thanks for the pizza ideas as well, may have to give one of those places a try too.

If this is an implication that you're a burger dude, then you're in good hands. NYC is slowly becoming burgertown USA. I've been to Cali -- they don't have shit on our burgers (although they got us beat in Burritos).

Shake Shack rules. Another great NY burger chain is Bareburger. They make burgers out of game meats. Amazing burgers. As for the pizza places, although Di Farra's is a bit more "legit" I would reccomend Lucalli's over it. Plus, it's easier to get to, and is in a nicer neighborhood (Midwood isn't a bad neighborhood or anything, but it's kind of ugly/groce compared to Carol Gardens). Do it up homes!

Never been to a metal bar in the US so sounds like something I should experience. But this depends if anyone I know in the area wants to join!

Yeah definitely don't hit either of these places alone -- not fun. With people, should be a good time.

Cheers man, and have fun in the city! I've lived here my whole life and I've still yet to get sick of it. :D