Good 5.1 albums?

Morgan C

MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯
Apr 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
www.myspace.com
Just found out my uni has a $10k surround sound system, and want some recommendations on albums that sound awesome in 5.1

I've got a friend who has the Black Album, and I have the Nightwish album (should be even more epic in surround sound).

What other albums sound really good in 5.1? Is there a 5.1 of Tool's 10k days? I would kill for that.

Nah, no Tool unfortunately. Metal tends to sound less than overwhelming in 5.1. Some excellent-sounding surround mixes are:

Nine Inch Nails- The Downward Spiral (The best of the best, believe me)
The Flaming Lips- Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots (Also amazing)
Opeth- Still Life
Steven Wilson- Insurgentes
The Beatles- Love
Porcupine Tree- In Absentia, Fear of a Blank Planet

and I hear the SACD version of Dark Side of the Moon is incredible but I don't own an SACD player :erk:

Also, King Crimson's "Red" comes out in 5.1 in 3 days. That's my favorite album so I'm pretty stoked.

Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance

... They released the special edition 5.1 mix of this album in 2007. ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Great-Cold-Distance-Katatonia/dp/B000MM1FS2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1253286466&sr=8-1-fkmr0[/ame])

Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" and "Watershed" too, I have the deluxe versions of both with the DVD's containing the 5.1 mixes, now I just need a 5.1 system! :(

Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" and "Watershed" too, I have the deluxe versions of both with the DVD's containing the 5.1 mixes, now I just need a 5.1 system! :(
IMO the GR mix is very static and underwhelming. The Watershed one is pretty cool though.

Hmm, that's good to know - oh well, I'm sure it'll be cool all the same! (I've had so little experience with surround-sound setups it's absurd, so I'm sure I'll be easily impressed :lol: )

There are a few 5.1 tracks on the CD/DVD version of Mastodon's 'Leviathan'.

I'm sure there are other Nine Inch Nails albums too - I thought there was a 5.1 version of The Fragile but I can't find anything about it now. 'Natasha' by Pig Destroyer is worth a listen too.

Steve

I'm sure there are other Nine Inch Nails albums too

Theres no 5.1 of The Fragile but there damn well fuckin should be. Trent's been promising Pretty Hate Machine and Broken in surround for years but so far nothing's surfaced. NIN albums that ARE in surround are With Teeth and Year Zero, but I think the Downward Spiral 5.1 craps all over the others. It's really a marvel of engineering, no pun intended.

Theres no 5.1 of The Fragile but there damn well fuckin should be. Trent's been promising Pretty Hate Machine and Broken in surround for years but so far nothing's surfaced. NIN albums that ARE in surround are With Teeth and Year Zero, but I think the Downward Spiral 5.1 craps all over the others. It's really a marvel of engineering, no pun intended.

Ah, fair enough - maybe that's just the one I want to hear in surround :lol:. That's definitely the one that would suit it best I reckon - With Teeth and Year Zero and too straightforward and metal, The Fragile has all the atmosphere.

Steve

I love listening to Watershed in 5.1, but I'm not sure if the extra DVD addition of Watershed can still be bought, it might have been a limited run.

Watershed and 01011001 are really good on 5.1 apparently, now I need to get one.

Oh I didn't realise 01011001 was in 5.1.

I have the special edition which has Beneath the Waves in 5.1 I've now realised, not the whole album. Is it possible to get the full thing in 5.1, or is it just that song?

And thanks I'll try Watershed. Don't really dig it musically though, not one of Opeth's best :/ BWP in 5.1 would be godly.

i have those tool dvd's
epic waste of money
i think it was the parabola remix that i really digged though
lustmord did a fucking epic with that one, beautiful stuff, totally useless if you dont dig droney shit though
and yeah, no surround sound either