Guitar (songwriting) Learning Question

(continued...)
> Consider music theory to be for fags.
> Never consider fine-tuning your guitar to accuracy of 'cents'.

Very cool write-up Guitarguru777.

After y'all are done with getting into the ballpark with this, take a look at this: http://zentao.com/guitar/theory

Ya the ZenTao thing is GREAT. It really dives deep into all of it. I refer alot of my students there after they get a basic grasp and concept of theory.

There really isn't much to it. Come up with a cool chord progression, add a cool lead (which usually includes a lot of the same notes as the chord progression), add a cool harmony to the lead.
Break down what notes there is in your cool chord progression, check if some notes reoccur in other chords in the progression. These notes sounds great sustained over the 2 chords. This is really what that dude is doing.
I'd suggest listening to some classical songs and analyse the songs, as they're the real masters of counterpoint playing.

I'd suggest listening to some classical songs and analyse the songs, as they're the real masters of counterpoint playing.

I agree that classical music is the great to listen to if you want to hear harmony used to its best, someone like Bach is great for showing what different harmonies can do for you in a simple but very effective way.
On a side note this is not the same as counterpoint playing, that is when different instruments swap between providing harmony and playing the melody. One instrument may play the melody for 4 bars and then swap to a harmony part as another takes over the melody for 4 and so on.

Cheers.