Happy Fourth Of July!

Don't make me go all Braveheart on you!!!! :heh: FREEDOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :kickass: :lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah another one we won lol

seriously though, Gordon Brown our new Prime Minister has now abolished the law that said you could only fly the union flag for 18 days of a year!!!!!!!

Well I guess that is great, but the flag of St George is associated with Skinheads/Nazis and Football (soccer) hooligans. So unless we accept the one flag we are stuffed.

Now we dont go into Europe and kick their candy asses at football matches, England has nothing going for it at all really, we where once a truelly great, now we are a tired has been beaten by political correctness and the you should be ashamed of your history brigade.

Wouldnt it be wonderfull if the UK could have a national day like 4th July, where everyone from every country making up the UK got together and.......remembered .....how the English beat them into submission....... maybe not then lol. Problem is thats just about the entire history of it all, the english destroyed the culutre of proud peoples, became great and then went loopy.

Yes my american friends, look to England, look to the future, we ruled the world before you lot.

We invented the Jet engine
We where the first and alongside France (i spit in your general direction) the ONLY country to have a supersonic airliner.
We invented Radar
Broke the German Enigma code
Held off the Luftwaffe on our own in 1940, stopping the German Halt across Europe.
We hold the world land speed record with a car that broke the sound barrier

yes we have had many great achievements and have NOTHING to show for it.

No in all seriousness, may you all have many happy 4th of July's or whatever you say, may you all continue to celebrate your countries greatness, and please take pity on us poor souls stuck here in a rather soggy UK being looked after by a nanny state.

yeah another one we won lol

seriously though, Gordon Brown our new Prime Minister has now abolished the law that said you could only fly the union flag for 18 days of a year!!!!!!!

Well I guess that is great, but the flag of St George is associated with Skinheads/Nazis and Football (soccer) hooligans. So unless we accept the one flag we are stuffed.

Now we dont go into Europe and kick their candy asses at football matches, England has nothing going for it at all really, we where once a truelly great, now we are a tired has been beaten by political correctness and the you should be ashamed of your history brigade.

Wouldnt it be wonderfull if the UK could have a national day like 4th July, where everyone from every country making up the UK got together and.......remembered .....how the English beat them into submission....... maybe not then lol. Problem is thats just about the entire history of it all, the english destroyed the culutre of proud peoples, became great and then went loopy.

Yes my american friends, look to England, look to the future, we ruled the world before you lot.

We invented the Jet engine
We where the first and alongside France (i spit in your general direction) the ONLY country to have a supersonic airliner.
We invented Radar
Broke the German Enigma code
Held off the Luftwaffe on our own in 1940, stopping the German Halt across Europe.
We hold the world land speed record with a car that broke the sound barrier

yes we have had many great achievements and have NOTHING to show for it.

No in all seriousness, may you all have many happy 4th of July's or whatever you say, may you all continue to celebrate your countries greatness, and please take pity on us poor souls stuck here in a rather soggy UK being looked after by a nanny state.

Yeah, and WE invented the television and phone - without which none of us would be chatting right now! So stick that in your pipe and smoke it!! :heh:

I agree with you TW2001. It's all just friendly banter!! :D

:lol: Very American, indeed.

As for the country comment by TimeWarrior and your reply, I hope I didn't offend anyone. Please understand that Americans see all inhabitants of the UK as one in the same, regardless of region,

Not true, I think most Americans know the difference. The ones who payed attention in school anyway..

Nah not offended in anyway at all, sorry if I gavce that impressions, i was kinda ranting, because I envy the way the US are free to be as nationally proud as they like and its somehting that frowned upon in the United Kingdom....more specifically England.

Unbited Kingdom, the United Kingdoms of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Stems from when we were all at war with each other.

We had the scots in their little skirts (sorry metallicat....my defence...I'm English) The Welsh with their wooden clogs and the Irish that just fought anything that moved. Whilst the English invaded and oppressed everyone else.

Well in the end, we where united, in fact the united Kingdoms......clever huh? lol well it is original lmao

Great Britain:

Politically, "Great Britain" describes the combination of England, Scotland, and Wales. It also includes the former Celtic nation of Cornwall, and a number of outlying islands such as the Isle of Wight, Anglesey, the Isles of Scilly, the Hebrides, and the island groups of Orkney and Shetland, but does not include the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands.

Over the centuries, Great Britain has evolved politically from several distinct nations (England, Scotland, and Wales) through two kingdoms with a shared monarch (England and Scotland) with the union of the Crowns in 1603, a single all-island Kingdom of Great Britain from 1707, to the situation following 1801 in which Great Britain together with the island of Ireland constituted the larger United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (UK). The UK became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in 1922 following the independence of five-sixths of Ireland as first the Irish Free State, a Dominion of the then British Commonwealth, and then later as an independent republic outside the British Commonwealth as the Republic of Ireland.

"Great Britain" is often used to mean the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" (UK). However, Great Britain is only the largest island within the United Kingdom, which includes numerous surrounding smaller islands, as well as Northern Ireland in the island of Ireland.

Terms associated with Great Britain – such as Britain or British – are generally used as short forms for the United Kingdom or its citizens respectively.

Great Britain and its abbreviations GB and GBR are used in some international codes as a synonym for the United Kingdom, largely due to potential confusion with "UA" or "UKR" for Ukraine

Hope that offers you a little insight into the boiling couldron of this United Kingdom, although if many people had their own way, Wales would be severed and left to drift towards Dublin. :err: :loco:
Thanks for that civics and history lesson. I get a better idea of the makeup of your neck of the woods.

The US is still a little factionalized as such, too. Many in Texas still believe in Texas as a separate nation (which it was, briefly, after it separated from Mexico) and celebrate it as a separate identity from the US. In fact, the whole southern states still have a bit of defiance to the national politic as evident in their popular culture - most notably, the popularity of the Confederate States flag.

Jenna - the US uses a similar governmental makeup that the UK has with each internal body having it's own government. We have what is called a "dual federalist" system that until the Civil War in the 1860s, really was an alignment of not provinces in one nation, but a unity of separate nations (kind of like the EU is now, but a stronger central system to unify the states). After the Civil War, we became more of a nation with provinces that could exercise their own rights separate from the national government, but still having to obey the national government. Personally, I like this system. I like the fact that our nation has 50 different states that operate differently. I'd hate for the Pacific states (California, Oregon, and Washington) to have to obey the same social laws of the Deep South states (Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana), and vice versa. I've lived in both areas, and I like that although I do not like the state laws of the Deep South, I can move to another state that has laws more to my liking. :headbang:

I don't see why you don't celebrate the Glorious Revolution. That was the first step towards the current democratization of the western world. I make sure my students know about the Glorious Revolution because the reasons the American founding fathers revolted was based on the principles of the Glorious Revolution.

(Yes, I know the Greeks and Romans preceded today's democracies, but they failed to change the world at the time - it took the Renaissance to re-appreciate their democracies and lead to enlightened thinking that brought Europe and its colonies into democracy)

Not true, I think most Americans know the difference. The ones who payed attention in school anyway..
I disagree with you on this one. While the ones that paid attention in school know that GB is a part of the UK, and that Wales, England, Scotland, N. Ireland are parts of the UK, they still look at the UK as one nation, and not how our two friends here from the UK look at it as an alliance of nations.

I've had some stupid questions from foreigners, mostly Americans, in my time..."Oh you're from Scotland!! Do you know my aunt Betty who lives in Glasgow???" Um...yeah of course I do!!! o_O :lol:
Questions like that are very common in the US. I think most people know that the likelihood is as slim as winning the lottery, but they still like seeing if they can make that connection. I think it's just more of a social game for us. I take it you don't get questions like that from others living in the UK? So, that's got me thinking... Jenna, since you're from Scotland, you wouldn't happen to know Groundskeeper Willie from North Kilttown do you? He's friends with some guy named Angus McCleod.

Personally, I like this system. I like the fact that our nation has 50 different states that operate differently. I'd hate for the Pacific states (California, Oregon, and Washington) to have to obey the same social laws of the Deep South states (Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana), and vice versa. I've lived in both areas, and I like that although I do not like the state laws of the Deep South, I can move to another state that has laws more to my liking. :headbang:

I'm just the opposite, I'm from the northeast and would prefer to live under southern state laws. They have a 2nd Amendment down there :)

I'd hate for the Pacific states (California, Oregon, and Washington) to have to obey the same social laws of the Deep South states (Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Louisiana), and vice versa. I've lived in both areas, and I like that although I do not like the state laws of the Deep South, I can move to another state that has laws more to my liking. :headbang:

And which laws would you be referring to?

While I know this started as a Happy Fourth of July thread, all the mention of the political geography within the UK, reminded me of a poem someone I knew over 15 years ago had on their kitchen door.

AS OTHERS SEE US

There were the Scots
Who kept the sabbath
And anything else they could lay their hands on

Next were the Welsh
Who prayed on their knees
And their neighbors

Thirdly were the Irish
Who never knew what they wanted
But were willing to fight for it anyway

Lastly were the English
Who considered themselves a self-made nation
Thus relieving the Almighty of a dreadful responsibility

--Author Unknown

While I know this started as a Happy Fourth of July thread, all the mention of the political geography within the UK, reminded me of a poem someone I knew over 15 years ago had on their kitchen door.

AS OTHERS SEE US

There were the Scots
Who kept the sabbath
And anything else they could lay their hands on

Next were the Welsh
Who prayed on their knees
And their neighbors

Thirdly were the Irish
Who never knew what they wanted
But were willing to fight for it anyway

Lastly were the English
Who considered themselves a self-made nation
Thus relieving the Almighty of a dreadful responsibility

--Author Unknown

I think this has been a great thread, its let us realise some of the major differences between out two nations.

I know I moaned and bitched about stuff, but there was all a point. For once I wish I could be proud to be proud to be English. INstead of being branded right wing or racist because I am proud of my country.

Hopefully the US and the UK will be allies for a long time.

Why would you be branded right wing or racist because you're proud of your country?

Because in England thats what national pride seems to mean to the do gooders, the liberal army.

I live in a country, where they brought in a no smoking ban in all work places.
A country that lives by laws passed in 1914 (our licensing laws) Pubs can only sell alcohol between 11:00 and 11:00 same as shops, even of the shop is open 24 hours it cannot sell alcohol after 11pm.

A country where the victim of crime is treat worse by the authorities than the criminal, who often goes unpunished.

I cannot describe someone as being coloured, now I have to say Black, but 10 years ago I couldnt say Black I had to say coloured.

A country that only on Thursday over rules a law that said you could, and I mean gov buildings as well, fly the union flag (union Jack) for 18 days in one year.

A country that will happily prosecute a family because they had pot pigs in a window and it caused distress to a jewish family living nearby (true story)

A country that is going the same way as Germany, when Germany banned the Swastika. Soon enough we are going tohave no more freedom.

Freedom of speach is not a right in the UK, its simply tolerated.....as long as it isnt deemed racist or pro British/English

Because in England thats what national pride seems to mean to the do gooders, the liberal army.

A country where the victim of crime is treat worse by the authorities than the criminal, who often goes unpunished.

I remember reading about a farmer in England who's house was broken into by two criminals with firearms, he shot one of the criminals and got life in prison, is this true?

I heard another story about an old British guy who held a criminal at bay that broke into his house, he used a toy gun that the criminal thought was real. Later on at the trial the criminals lawyer convinced the court that his client was traumatized by the gun and the old man got 10 years in prison.

Germany and France now have conservative Presidents, maybe England will follow suit. Sometimes it doesn't do any good though. Even here in the U.S. criminals and illegal aliens have more rights than the hard working citizen. Ahhh.. the greatest nation on earth!:lol:

I remember reading about a farmer in England who's house was broken into by two criminals with firearms, he shot one of the criminals and got life in prison, is this true?

I heard another story about an old British guy who held a criminal at bay that broke into his house, he used a toy gun that the criminal thought was real. Later on at the trial the criminals lawyer convinced the court that his client was traumatized by the gun and the old man got 10 years in prison.

Germany and France now have conservative Presidents, maybe England will follow suit. Sometimes it doesn't do any good though. Even here in the U.S. criminals and illegal aliens have more rights than the hard working citizen. Ahhh.. the greatest nation on earth!:lol:

It is true, the Farmers name was Tony Martin.

He has since had his conviction revoked.

It was also a technicality, he said he thought his life was in danger, yet the Burglar was shot in the back, therefore no immediate danger to the farmer.

Still I was on his side, scum deserve no better.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/martin/0,,214318,00.html