Harmony looking for a new vocalist

SeaStorm

Jun 24, 2004
Minnesota, USA
Sad news for the many Harmony fans here...

From Harmony's FB page (http://www.facebook.com/harmonysweden):

---------------

HARMONY: NEW VOCALIST WANTED

The Swedish melodic metal band Harmony are looking for a new vocalist, and you'll find information on how to apply below. Henrik Båth [vocals] and Magnus Holmberg [keyboards] left Harmony a while back to focus solely on Darkwater, where Harmony guitarist Markus Sigfridsson and drummer Tobias Enbert also are members.

Harmony released their debut album "Dreaming Awake" through Massacre Records in 2003 and their latest album "Chapter II: Aftermath" through Ulterium Records in 2008. The band is now ready to hit the studio to record their third album, and will begin to record it this fall.

If you want to become the new vocalist of Harmony and think you've got what it takes then download the file below that contains the track "Kingdom", record yourself singing the track and send it in mp3 format to newharmonyvocalist@ulterium-records.com together witha a photo and short bio.

Link: http://www.ulterium-records.com/newharmonyvocalist/kingdom_pack.zip

---------------

This makes me sad because I'm a much bigger Harmony fan than Darkwater fan, but such is life. I hope they find a worthy replacement!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to sound rude but I never thought the vocals fit the music in either of the two bands. I mean I grew to like them both but I'd be much more satisfied with a vocalist like Carlos Zema, Roy Khan or Russell Allen. The music is more aggressive than the vocals :/ Know what I mean?

Also, I sent that piece of information to Raintime's management, since they disbanded maybe their vocalist might be interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't want to sound rude but I never thought the vocals fit the music in either of the two bands. I mean I grew to like them both but I'd be much more satisfied with a vocalist like Carlos Zema, Roy Khan or Russell Allen. The music is more aggressive than the vocals :/ Know what I mean?

I remember having the same thought when I first heard Harmony/Darkwater. Now I love his vocals, but at first it seemed to be an odd pairing.

Also, I sent that piece of information to Raintime's management, since they disbanded maybe their vocalist might be interested.

Good vocals on that song. Reminds me a bit of James LaBrie. Is Raintime a Christian metal band?

No, but I know that the vocalist/lyricist is Christian (Italian, Catholic).

I love to hear them now as well, it's just that I needed some getting used to. It's still a shame to hear that just before they were about to make another album.

Yeah, the story is that the keyboardist and vocalist are not believers and felt like they were giving fans a false impression by belonging to a Christian band (I guess they felt like they were tricking people into thinking they were Christians), so they decided they should leave. :( A shame, both of them were great IMO.

Well who wrote the lyrics? JayArby could you give us some more details. Did they just join the band to play music but they went along with the Christian lyrics willingly even though they don't share those beliefs?

Love Harmony, Dark Water and Bath´s vocals. I just wish they find a great singer for the band. But it´s not so hard to find in Sweden. I don´t know what they put in the water, but 7 or 8 swedish singers are on my all time 15 favorite singers.

Yeah, the story is that the keyboardist and vocalist are not believers and felt like they were giving fans a false impression by belonging to a Christian band (I guess they felt like they were tricking people into thinking they were Christians), so they decided they should leave. :( A shame, both of them were great IMO.

If true, the exit isn't surprising, and the keyboardist's extended residence isn't unusual either, but the singer willingly staying along for the ride to sing overtly Christian lyrics is puzzling. It's not terribly uncommon for someone to put aside personal disagreements for the sake of music, even religious ones, but I naturally wonder how a non-Christian singer can convictedly deliver Christian lyrics. Perhaps, if I re-listen to Harmony's material, I might find that doesn't truly exist; the new Affector disc definitely suffers from Ted Leonard not really living the words, as no matter what singing caliber, one does not simply sing lyrics about Christianity. I haven't talked to Henrik much lately, and what you've said intrigues me enough to bring this up personally, ostensibly as just fan curiosity.

Well who wrote the lyrics? JayArby could you give us some more details. Did they just join the band to play music but they went along with the Christian lyrics willingly even though they don't share those beliefs?

Without digging out my liner notes, I am pretty sure Harmony songs/lyrics are written primarily by the drummer and guitarist, whereas Darkwater music/lyrics are written by the singer & keyboardist (who just left Harmony) as well as the guitarist.

the new Affector disc definitely suffers from Ted Leonard not really living the words, as no matter what singing caliber, one does not simply sing lyrics about Christianity.

Based on Ted Leonard's solo album, I would definitely say Ted Leonard is a Christian (unless something changed drastically since he wrote those songs).

I just got a response from Raintime's manager and they said that the singer is very busy with his new project and he can't take the time to audition but he was honored someone thought of him for the job. Oh well, I really hope Harmony makes it out alive.

Without digging out my liner notes, I am pretty sure Harmony songs/lyrics are written primarily by the drummer and guitarist, whereas Darkwater music/lyrics are written by the singer & keyboardist (who just left Harmony) as well as the guitarist.

That is correct. I read this all in an interview recently. I'll see if I can dig it up. Basically, I think the keyboardist and singer were looking for a drummer and guitarist, and vice versa, so they decided to work together for both projects. Apparently the singer and keyboard player have been considering leaving for a while, so it wasn't like a shock to the other two or anything. They're all still working together on the next Darkwater CD. So I'm glad there weren't any hard feelings or anything. But, yeah, it's a shame. I personally thought the singer had a really great voice.

Based on Ted Leonard's solo album, I would definitely say Ted Leonard is a Christian (unless something changed drastically since he wrote those songs).

So I was informed by another Christian fan of Affector when we discussed the disc, Leonard is the only member of that band who doesn't thank God/Jesus in the Harmagedon liner notes, and even wrote that he felt the album wasn't worth his time to record, which might hint that he's...not really into the words that much. I don't own the album myself yet, but anybody who does can confirm.

So I was informed by another Christian fan of Affector when we discussed the disc, Leonard is the only member of that band who doesn't thank God/Jesus in the Harmagedon liner notes, and even wrote that he felt the album wasn't worth his time to record, which might hint that he's...not really into the words that much. I don't own the album myself yet, but anybody who does can confirm.

That's interesting that he would make a comment about it not being worth his time to record. I would guess there's probably more to the story. I haven't picked up the Affector album myself yet, but it is on my "to get" list. I do own his 2007 solo album, which has lyrics such as:

"I want to thank You for the mercy
That You give
I want to thank You with the very way I live
A gift that is new with every day
A debt that I don’t have to repay
With all of my strength I want to say
Oh Lord, I thank You"

Angelic Warlord does a review of that album here.

Hmmm Affector...they sound pretty good.

As for the Harmony thing, maybe it will make them better; never did like them.

I was sorry to see this, though not overly surprised. I had read somewhere before that Henrik and Magnus (am I the only one who thinks that's a really cool name?) weren't Christians, and also I would guess that Darkwater is where the money is. Having said that, I greatly prefer Harmony. Darkwater, while very impressive in terms of muscianship, suffers from the problem that the songs tend not to be very memorable beyond "cool keyboards" or "great solo", etc. That's a problem I often have with prog metal and prog in general though. Just my taste.

If the band is looking for someone who does good clean, smooth vocals, Thomas Vikström comes to mind. I don't know what (if any) his religious convictions are, but he's worked with two Christian bands before. He was the lead vocalist for Mehida and also contributed on the second 7days album. The latter of which is one of Markus Sigfridsson's projects, so they've worked together before. Vikström is currently with Therion though, so I don't know if he'd want to take on another project or even if Harmony would be something he'd be interested in.

I do think Aletheus has a point though - as much as I do love Henrik's vocals, the band might benefit from someone with a bit more of an aggressive style.