Has anyone else heard...

Dave - Power of Omens

some guitar player
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
powerofomens.com
Evanescence???

I heard them for the first time last night and was blown away. I mean it's not technically challenging or balls-to-the-wall metal in your face...but the melodies are wicked and the vocals of Amy Lee are strong and melodically haunting....I absolutely love this band!!!

http://www.evanescence.com/

I'm definitely gonna pick this CD up when it comes out March 4th.

~D

One thing though...I can do w/o the rap-style wanna be Linkin Park vocals on the song Bring Me to Life.

I checked them out after someone posted about them on the PM board. I agree that the vocalist is darn good. :) Although I started to get bored of that one song after about 5 listens in a row.

If a song doesn't stand up to my "repeated listening test" I don't usually bother. I've gotten so bad about listening to only one cd and sometimes even only one song for weeks at a time...I'm such a freak! LOL

Stacy

I guess they may not necessarily be for everyone...heheh

But I know what you mean Stacy about standing the "repeated listening test" The same has to happen for me...and I guess they did it. ;)

In fact they're gonna be in Houston next Tuesday...and I'm actually thinking of taking a road trip to catch their show. :)

~D

Well, I checked them out, too. Like Jax and FataMorgana, I didn't really like it. Also like Jax, I'm not a huge fan of the female voice when it's with rock music.
But it's nicely done, a really powerful sound to the guitars. There's nothing that stands out as bad to me; I guess it's just not my bag.

I just checked it out. It's kinda cool, however, I do believe they suffer a bit from the overproduction on the vocals...

I don't see how it would be possible for them to recreate the same effect live, at least not "naturally".

Oh, and I can do without the dude rapping...that is so 90's...LMAO!!!

CH

Originally posted by Ultima Ibanez Overlord
So we won't be seeing MC Hammer or 50 Cents joining PofO on their next album?
Sheeeeit, an' all a nigga' wanted wuz sum dope rhyme along wit' da prog an' I'd be kickin' it to PofO, G-style.

lachen70.gif

LM*MF*AO

~D

lizard said:
How about OSI?

I just picked that one up and it's really starting to grow on me...although, I'm still trying to get used to the Kevin Moore vocals (which I never really cared for)...one thing though, when you hear it, you can definitely tell who's playing drums, who's on guitar and who's on keys. ;)

~D

I haven't heard any of it, yet. Deron posted a link to the InsideOut site with samples on it, but I haven't checked it out yet.
I'll probably buy it like I bought most of the DT member's projects.

After reading about it, it doesn't sound like my cup of tea. But never judge a...erm...side project by it's...erm.....description on a website :err:

Okay I heard an Evanesence song yesterday, & it sounded like The Gathering meets Limp Bizkit..is this how the whole cd is??? If so, count me out..I didn't care for it.

Lady of the Oracle said:
Okay I heard an Evanesence song yesterday, & it sounded like The Gathering meets Limp Bizkit..is this how the whole cd is??? If so, count me out..I didn't care for it.

No that's the only song that the guy from 12 Stones guests on...there's no other rap crap on the rest of the CD...the rest of it kicks ass!!! In fact they have a version of that song on the net w/o the rap vocals that is SOOOO much better.

~D

I really dig OSI. Great vocal melodies, great sounding guitar, good use of samples, solid compositions, great bass playing (of course), and the drums are good as well. Kind of a later-era fates warning meets chroma key.

As for Evanescence, i bought it yesterday and gave it a quick listen. Some really catchy tunes, and the voice is great! Sounds much like a female-fronted Linkin Park minus the overbearing samples. I also agree that it won't pass the repeat listen test. Overall, good "radio" metal.

Regarding Evanescence, I guess like I mentioned previously, it's not necessarily for everyone...which is cool and I completely respect that. :)
However, for me it definitely passed the repeat test, because I can't stop listening to it...in fact I prefer it to O.S.I. or even the latest Gordian Knot.

~D

Dave - Power of Omens said:
However, for me it definitely passed the repeat test, because I can't stop listening to it...in fact I prefer it to O.S.I. or even the latest Gordian Knot.

~D

Wow!!! That's a pretty big compliment!

Is it better than Rooms of Anguish? :)

I think not!!!

I gotta say I haven't been super impressed with either the latest Gordian Knot (the first was so damn good, but this one sounds like a rehash of Malone's Cortlandt CD, in fact I think 2 or 3 of the songs are FROM that one) or OSI (first song is cool, the rest meanders and is just a rehash of Chroma Key). I may pick up OSI if it grows on me, but I have no plans to at this point. I'm gonna check out this evanescence; I hate rapping, but I love female vox, so maybe it'll balance out.