hello

Ggorp

Feb 6, 2010
I've been lurking on this forum and a customer of The Laser's Edge for about a year and a half. I've enjoyed the rapport, especially Mr. Ricci and Mr. Golden's back and forth.

I used to have a prog collection of vinyl but lost it. I did a search one day for an album I was obsessed with : The Devil's Hall of Fame : and discovered the Laser's Edge.

Most of the music I own was purchased from Ken.

Not to be a sycophant --- How can you not do business with someone with great service, selection, and love of music. What impressed me at first was KG's label(s). Here's a guy helping to produce music of a type that's sadly unappreciated by the MASSES. It's in my self interest that he continues to succeed.

There's tons of stuff available at L.E. that's not available elsewhere. For example , the Italian prog selection is ample and the price reasonable. (side note- Bob, Ken's right. Try some of this, you'll get over the language barrier. I don't understand Italian, but love the music.)

I get to listen to about 6 hours of music a day. I lean towards prog rock-- eclectic, italian, rio, symphonic, and fusion. I like some prog and power/prog metal, but no on the neo.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge about what keeps me going.

What turns you off about Neo-Prog?? Me and Ken have a love/Hate relationship, I think the only reason Ken puts up with me is because I ordered 193 orders in 3 years.... But L/E is the best site out there, I do favor Eastern Euope prog,,,Poland etc............. but I will listen to any kind of prog. except Doom metal & Trash Metal.....:kickass::headbang:

As a Preface :

1) I greatly admire these folks for having the stones to pursue their dream. Let's face it, the majority of $$$ goes to other types of "musicians".

2) I've listened to a lessor amount of Neo compared to Prog.

The Neo I've sampled, partially on this forum's advice, has struck my ears as flat.

An example of what I mean : Close to the Edge is almost a perfect album. What would make it perfect? Listen to Bruford on Lark's Tongue and Red. He was allowed to express his talent and passion to the fullest. He used his touch -- texture, volume control, timing -- to vault those albums to excellence.

Add that Bruford to Close to the Edge--Perfection. Subtract that Bruford from Lark's Tongue and Red-- lower range of good.

Maybe we'll get back to this someday, I'm still exploring. One thing we all can agree on: We can't live without our sounds.

Thanks for the welcome!

I agree with Progg and Ken, Neo Prog just doesn't do it. Not a big fan,
although once in a while something comes along and is worth listening to.
It's all been done before and much better. Why not listen to the real thing,
you can't top the masters!

Mr. Progg
Start with Pendragon, I.Q. Arena, Mystery, Collage, Satellight etc..........:headbang::kickass:

Bob,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have listened to some of those. I get this alt rock vibe from them. But fear not, I will give them more of a chance in the future.

For about the last year and a half, I've spent a ton on stuff that I (mostly) love. Just when I think I'm "through" Epilog or the like turns up. For now my resources are dedicated to that which makes me spooge. Interesting word spooge--- another positive about L.E. I had never heard the word until it was referenced in an album description on Laser CD; I got me an edgamacation.

Have a good weekend.

The neo vs old school debate can go on endlessly. There are great and poor examples in both genres. We present it all and let you guys duke it out. :D

Progg,
(Like Bob said)
Get:
Clepsydra - all 4 (my personal favorite band)
IQ -"The Wake" & "Subterranea"
Martigan - "Vision"
Collage - "Moonshine"
Arena - "The Visitor"
Chandelier - "Pure"
Pendragon - "Not Of This World"

Progg,
(Like Bob said)
Get:
Clepsydra - all 4 (my personal favorite band)
IQ -"The Wake" & "Subterranea"
Martigan - "Vision"
Collage - "Moonshine"
Arena - "The Visitor"
Chandelier - "Pure"
Pendragon - "Not Of This World"

Get all of the above +

The entire Marillion Catalogue.... Maybe skip .com...:loco:

Thank you Neos. I'll keep your suggestions for the future.

Here's some that might've escaped your ears.

Ahvak - Ahvak
Bubu - Anabellas
Far Corner -Far Corner
Gnidrolog- In Spite of Harry's Toenail/ Lady Lake (between the two I burned about 55" of good stuff. The double album=good deal.)

There's so much great Italian stuff, dunno what you're aware of. I'll be glad to let you know what I enjoy if you're interested. I'm only able to respond on weekends most of the time.

:kickass::headbang:Im having a hard time finding "Clepsydra'' I only found (more grains of sand) on Kens monster list.....

Progg,

Welcome aboard! I'm there with you on the Italian sounds. Since I first heard PFM many, many years ago..I've been hooked. Don't give up on Neo, there are some really good bands out there.

IMO, it's the music that counts not the classification...:)

Justordered ""Man of the moment" :headbang: & Deyss(Vision in the Dark):kickass:Im taken your word on the Martigan..:):)