Helloween

NotePad

New Metal Member
May 9, 2016
I'm new here this is the first post I've made. Consistently my favorite band has been Helloween, so I thought I'd start a discussion about them.

Keeper of The 7 Keys Parts 1 and 2 are the original Power Metal albums. There's some great stuff on there, clearly influenced by bands like Maiden, Priest, and Accept. I consider them up there with those great bands.

But where i feel they really soared to new musical heights was when they brought in Andi Deris. Gambling With The Devil is an amazing power metal album with some darker aspects I'd liken to Priests Painkiller album. The Dark Ride though may be their best album. Who says power metal can't be dark.

The Keeper Legacy album was good but failed at sounding anything like the first two parts. Musically, the guitar tone and production just didn't remind me at all of the originals.

Anyways, what are some of your guy's favorites from Helloween.

The albums that you mentioned are pioneer Euro power metal albums, but I would hesitate to call them the original power metal albums.

Anyway, Walls of Jericho is my favorite album by this band out of what I've heard. I haven't heard more than a song or two from anything after the Keeper of the Seven Keys albums.

Reactions: CiG
As far as I know, there are no albums before the Keeper albums that were labeled as Power Metal. This specific brand of metal.

The type of power metal usually referred to as USPM nowadays was present in the United States before Helloween even recorded an album. Bands like Omen and Jag Panzer are examples of this style.

Reactions: CiG
Helloween sounds nothing like USPM bands. When I say Helloween's brand of power metal, I mean the style that would inspire bands like Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, and Dragonforce, except unlike those bands Helloween didn't and still doesn't write Fantasy inspired power metal (apart from the Keeper title track). That's why I love Helloween, and also Edguy.