Help from our New York/New Jersey friends needed!

Sammi951

Sep 9, 2002
Hyde, Manchester
Visit site
Me, Paxoman and my son are going to be in New York from 18th Oct to 23rd Oct, and need some advice from anyone who can help!

I have been trawling through websites looking for advice on what to do whilst we're there, but am getting bogged down now, there's just too much to do! Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

One thing we (or rather, my son) would love to do is see a basketball game. I know it is pre-season, but the New Jersey Nets are playing on 21st Oct...I have found a couple of websites (see below) that have tickets, but they charge $40 just to ship them to the UK, that's on top of the ticket price and service charge!! Does anyone know of a website where I could order the tickets and pick them up on the day of the game, or better still, print the tickets off here? I REALLY want to do this as a surprise for my son - but paying $40 dollars extra on top of what this trip is already costing us (and will cost whilst we're there!!) is putting me off a bit. I've tried ticketmaster.com, but they only sell tickets on the first day of sale (apparently), I've also tried stubhub, ticketsnow and ticketnetonline - I've tried the Continental Arena, but that directs me to ticketmaster. If anyone knows how I can get these tickets without paying through the nose, please tell me :)

Cheers

I went to a baseball game out there and purchased tickets via Ticketmaster.com , and collected from the "Will Call" window at the stadium.

I'm sure one of our US correspondents will be able to help Sammi, GOOD LUCK !

Fingers said:
I went to a baseball game out there and purchased tickets via Ticketmaster.com , and collected from the "Will Call" window at the stadium.

That would be perfect if we could do that! The game wasn't even showing on the ticketmaster.com website - but I did read on there that they only sell tickets for the first day of sale, which I must have missed, and that's why it wasn't showing :( The worst thing is, the New York Knicks are playing pre-season games on 17th and 24th Oct - the day before we arrive and the day after we leave!! Bad planning or what??!! :cry: :erk: It's not like I even LIKE basketball, I just want to make it special for my son :)

Sami -

The New Jersey Nets have an attendance problem. The arena has not sold out in years for even a playoff game. My recommendation is to not worry so much about tickets in advance. This is a pre-season game and there will be plenty of seats available. Just arrive 30 mins before the game starts and buy your tickets at the door. You'll probably find lots of people giving away extra tickets since season ticket holders get pre-season games for free. Continental Airlines Arena parking lot is under construction. They are building a multi-level parking deck and I dont see how they are going to finish it in time for the season. If you rent a car and drive, plan on parking in Giants Stadium and walking a half mile to the arena. There will be busses from Port Authority bus terminal at 42nd + 8th to the game and back again. Be mindful of time. If you hang around too long after the game and the last bus leaves then you are stranded in New Jersey. Don't worry it's a nice place. The Lincoln Tunnel is 3 miles away so for a few bucks you can always call a taxi.

Have a good time!

Mveneck - thanks for the advice :) I was worried that the tickets would sell out, or only the most expensive ones would be left. They don't seem to sell tickets in odd numbers either - for example, I could buy 2 or 4, when I actually need 3! I suppose seats on their own are harder to get rid of. As for me driving :lol: :lol: Not a chance! lol I do drive, but not in other countries, my sense of direction is bad enough at home! No, it will be the bus for us - thanks for the tip about not hanging around after the game, knowing our luck, we'd have missed the bus back! Our hotel is at 59 West 46th Street, is that near Port Authority Bus Stop?

Fingers said:
Fingers crossed for you, (no pun intended) I only went to the baseball for the experience but once you are there its great, hopefully it'll be the same for you guys.

I went to see a baseball game at the Toronto Bluejays back in 1988 and loved it. Mind you, i do like baseball. Can't really say I'm into basketball but like Sammi said, it would be nice for her son. Thanks Fingers and Mveneck for the tips.

Hey, why not go and see Saxon live while you are out there????

Oh, hang on, they aren't playing out there......

He he, sorry, I couldn't resist prodding a festering wound!

TheAssMaster said:
Hey, why not go and see Saxon live while you are out there????

Oh, hang on, they aren't playing out there......

He he, sorry, I couldn't resist prodding a festering wound!

Oooh, you're mean!! If we could see Saxon while we're there, that would be fantastic (for me and Paxoman at least - my son would not be impressed! lol) but alas, If they ever do make it over there, I don't think it would be while we're there :cry: Knowing the luck I've had with this Basketball palaver, they'll play the day after we leave! :lol: Iron Maiden are playing there the week before we arrive!! :mad:

Sammi,I see the Nets have a game scheduled for Friday the 20th,not the 21st as you mentioned.No doubt tickets will be available right up till game time as the arena wont even be half full.I also see the legendary Outlaws are playing BB Kings in NYC the next night.Why come to America to see bands that play your hometown frequently.The Outlaws are the real deal,the Southern Guitar Army on their 30th anniversary tour.They will rock you.I am a big Saxon fan,also Schenker,UFO,Priest,Maiden,you get the picture.I have seen the Outlaws twice on this tour and they are incredible,a piece of American rock history linked with Lynyrd Skynyrd,Allman Bros,38 Special,and Marshall Tucker Band.Just a suggestion,Steve

spaster said:
Sammi,I see the Nets have a game scheduled for Friday the 20th,not the 21st as you mentioned.No doubt tickets will be available right up till game time as the arena wont even be half full.I also see the legendary Outlaws are playing BB Kings in NYC the next night.Why come to America to see bands that play your hometown frequently.The Outlaws are the real deal,the Southern Guitar Army on their 30th anniversary tour.They will rock you.I am a big Saxon fan,also Schenker,UFO,Priest,Maiden,you get the picture.I have seen the Outlaws twice on this tour and they are incredible,a piece of American rock history linked with Lynyrd Skynyrd,Allman Bros,38 Special,and Marshall Tucker Band.Just a suggestion,Steve

I don't know why I keep saying the 21st Oct for the game instead of 20th!! I think I need to make a note of that, otherwise I'll go on the wrong day! Wouldn't that please my son! :lol:

I'm not coming to America to see a band that plays my hometown frequently! If you mean Saxon, they have only played Manchester once in the 5 years I have been following them :( Any other time I have seen them, I have had to travel and stay overnight...but I know what you mean :) I wouldn't mind seeing The Outlaws, or indeed any other good band whilst I'm there, but alas, I will have a 13 year old boy who only likes that rap and RnB rubbish with me, and he definitely wouldn't want to see any band that Paxoman and I like!! Unless you are offering your services as a baby sitter for the night? :lol:

Thanks for the info about the Nets tickets - you've set my mind at rest a bit that we will be able to get tickets just before the game :)

Sammi,I have three of my own so I will pass on the babysitting offer .I meant Iron Maiden as playing close to where you live.It amazes me to look at the festival lineups of classic rock bands in Europe.I am jealous.Saxon has not played anywhere close to me in at least 15 years.I did see them on their first tour of America with Riot around 1980.Maybe seeing the Outlaws is just what your son needs to break out of whatever he is into now.Their were lots of teenagers at the two shows I attended and they were all rockin.Check OUTLAWSWORLD.COM for a preview.I see MSG has cancelled another US tour

Sammi951 said:
Mveneck - thanks for the advice :) I was worried that the tickets would sell out, or only the most expensive ones would be left. They don't seem to sell tickets in odd numbers either - for example, I could buy 2 or 4, when I actually need 3! I suppose seats on their own are harder to get rid of. As for me driving :lol: :lol: Not a chance! lol I do drive, but not in other countries, my sense of direction is bad enough at home! No, it will be the bus for us - thanks for the tip about not hanging around after the game, knowing our luck, we'd have missed the bus back! Our hotel is at 59 West 46th Street, is that near Port Authority Bus Stop?

Sammi, you're not far at all from Port Authority and the busses that run into NJ.

The Bus terminal is located in the heart of Manhattan, one block west of Times Square. It occupies the blocks between Eighth and Ninth Avenues and 40th and 42nd Streets.

I'm sure you guys will have a blast in NYC and seeing the basketball game too:cool: I wouldn't worry either about finding tickets as I'm sure you'll find plenty there. I wish ytou guys were flying over a week earlier as Maiden are playing the Continental Arena on Oct. 13th :kickass:

spaster said:
Sammi,I have three of my own so I will pass on the babysitting offer. Maybe seeing the Outlaws is just what your son needs to break out of whatever he is into now.Their were lots of teenagers at the two shows I attended and they were all rockin.Check OUTLAWSWORLD.COM for a preview.I see MSG has cancelled another US tour

Are you SURE you wouldn't like to babysit? He'd be no trouble, I promise!! :D

I will have a look at The Outlaws website, but I still won't be able to see them, unfortunately. My son definitely wouldn't like any music that we like - believe me, we've tried! :cry: He's a bit like me, strong minded!

Golden_Goose said:
Sammi, you're not far at all from Port Authority and the busses that run into NJ.

The Bus terminal is located in the heart of Manhattan, one block west of Times Square. It occupies the blocks between Eighth and Ninth Avenues and 40th and 42nd Streets.

I'm sure you guys will have a blast in NYC and seeing the basketball game too:cool: I wouldn't worry either about finding tickets as I'm sure you'll find plenty there. I wish ytou guys were flying over a week earlier as Maiden are playing the Continental Arena on Oct. 13th :kickass:

Thanks for the info on the Port Authority, hopefully shouldn't be too hard to find :)

I'm quite looking forward to seeing New York now, one thing is for sure, we won't be short of things to do or see, or places to eat! The only problem will be fitting it all in and knowing where to start. I can't believe how bad my timing is, with Maiden playing the week before we come - still, Paxoman wouldn't have been happy, having to look after my son whilst I went to the gig! :lol: :lol:

Sammi951 said:
Thanks for the info on the Port Authority, hopefully shouldn't be too hard to find :)

I'm quite looking forward to seeing New York now, one thing is for sure, we won't be short of things to do or see, or places to eat! The only problem will be fitting it all in and knowing where to start. I can't believe how bad my timing is, with Maiden playing the week before we come - still, Paxoman wouldn't have been happy, having to look after my son whilst I went to the gig! :lol: :lol:

There is quite alot to see in NYC and there isn't a shortage of bar or pubs to quench your thirst for a pint or two :cool:

I think a great way to see NYC and the entire island of Manhattan would be to take the Circle Line Tour around the island which I believe is an 1 1/2 hr boatride with narration too :cool: We went on the Circle Line a few yrs back and you'll see pier 86 ( I think?) where the Titanic was supposed to be docking had she not hit the icerberg, you'll get very colse to the Statue Of Liberty, down to lower Manhattan where the Towers once stood:cry: and back up the East River inwhich you'll be able to see Brooklyn, the Brooklyn Bridge, the UN and further up you'll see Yankee Stadium in the distance along with other things:cool:

You can even look into taking the Circle Line boat that actually docks at the Statue Of Liberty if you'd like.

Here is the Circle Line website for you to checkout :cool:

Depending on what you'd perfer? you can take a day cruise or the night cruise with the city all lite up which is BEAUTIFUL!

http://www.circleline.com/

Pier 83, West 42nd Street

The Full Island Cruise - 3 hours
Enjoy a relaxed and refreshing 3-hour cruise as you discover the secrets of the city. You'll circumnavigate Manhattan Island and see it all - 3 rivers, 7 major bridges, 5 boroughs, over 25 world renowned landmarks and, of course, a magnificent close-up of the Statue of Liberty. Beverages, food and souvenirs are available on board. From Pier 83 at 42nd Street on the Hudson River.

Adults $29 | Children $16 | Senior Citizens $24

The Semi-Circle Cruise - 2 hours
Experience the grandeur of New York on our 2-hour city highlights tour. You'll enjoy magnificent views of the world's premier skyline and a close-up view of Lady Liberty. Sail down the Hudson, cruise around the Battery, up the East River, and under the Brooklyn, Manhattan and Williamsburg Bridges to the United Nations and back. From Pier 83 at 42nd Street on the Hudson River.

Adults $24 | Children $13 | Senior Citizens $20

Harbor Lights Evening Cruises - 2 hours
Bask in the glow of the setting sun and be dazzled by millions of glistening lights. This dramatic 2-hour cruise follows the same route as the Semi-Circle Cruise. Enjoy light tour commentary as you sip your favorite drink and watch the sun set...or the moon rise.

March - November

Thanks for that, Golden Goose, much appreciated :) - I wouldn't mind doing a day tour AND a night tour at some point during our stay :) Won't be visiting any pubs though, unless they let kids in, which I suspect they wont :(

Sammi951 said:
Thanks for that, Golden Goose, much appreciated :) - I wouldn't mind doing a day tour AND a night tour at some point during our stay :) Won't be visiting any pubs though, unless they let kids in, which I suspect they wont :(

I don't think they do but if you happen to make it to Brooklyn at all? you can try here :

www.duffsbrooklyn.com

He's a friend and I'm sure he wouldn't mind :cool: He's got a VERY small pub if you can call it that but he's ALL Metal :kickass:

Duff is the Big guy in the pics with the glasses and hat and if you click on the photo section on the right and then on the "metal daze" and you'll see all the musicians he's met or had at the bar :headbang:

Golden_Goose said:
I don't think they do but if you happen to make it to Brooklyn at all? you can try here :

www.duffsbrooklyn.com

He's a friend and I'm sure he wouldn't mind :cool: He's got a VERY small pub if you can call it that but he's ALL Metal :kickass:

Duff is the Big guy in the pics with the glasses and hat and if you click on the photo section on the right and then on the "metal daze" and you'll see all the musicians he's met or had at the bar :headbang:

That looks like a great place, and if it was just Paxoman and me, we'd DEFINITELY be going there!! Mind you, looking at the pics, we'd stand out like a sore thumb in a place like that! :lol: Maybe we'll have to come back another time, on our own :headbang: We will be in Brooklyn to do the "tourist" thing - apparently, the thing to do is walk over the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhattan and take lots of pics - after eating pizza at Grimaldi's! :D