Hey Soundmaster, how about a Moon Safari?

I looked into Camel because Mikael from Opeth was always raving about them. Maybe it was just the wrong time for me, or I don't know really, but I couldn't get into them. Nothing special I thought. Still, as discussed in other threads, I've done complete turn arounds on some bands I didn't like in the past. I may try them again in the future....

ElectricWiz said:
I looked into Camel because Mikael from Opeth was always raving about them. ..

This is exactly why my interest has been piqued! Of course, it also helps that I consider the 70s to be metal/hard rock's golden era and most of what I've heard from that time has kicked my ass.

I recently discovered a 'supergroup' of sorts named Captain Beyond. Are you familiar with them? The band consists of two fellas from Iron Butterfly (In-a-gadda-da-vita), the original singer from Deep Purple (Rod Evans) and the drummer from another popular 70s band whose names escapes me as I type this.
I've read literally hundreds of reviews on Amazon and Epinions that branded there debut as "the single best record released in the 70s", or "the best record no one's ever heard of". And, although the first is exaggerated, the second point is spot-on. Very hard to describe their music....it's definitely hard rock and includes some "Sabbathian" riffs at times, yet it has the 'spaciness' of "Meddle" era Pink Floyd, as well as the groove of classic Deep Purple. AND it's a concept album with some recurring themes throughout.
I highly recommend the record (simply self-titled) to fans of Sabbath, classic Rush, and any classic 70s proto-metal. :headbang:

SoundMaster said:
it's not bad.........an it clearly has the 70s vibe.

What are thoughts concerning 70s prog band Camel? Are they worth investigating?
Oh yes, definitely worth investigating. Camel was like the ultimate underground prog band back when Yes, ELO, etc. were making waves in the music world. Their albums still stand up strong today. I have two of their albums and when I'm in a 70s prog rock mood, they are near the top of my list. Being such a big fan of the genre, I'd venture to say that you're obligated to at least taste them. Your collection wouldn't be complete without some Camel in it!

NP: Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses

Trans-Siberian Outcast said:
Oh yes, definitely worth investigating. Camel was like the ultimate underground prog band back when Yes, ELO, etc. were making waves in the music world. Their albums still stand up strong today. I have two of their albums and when I'm in a 70s prog rock mood, they are near the top of my list. Being such a big fan of the genre, I'd venture to say that you're obligated to at least taste them. Your collection wouldn't be complete without some Camel in it!

NP: Green Carnation - Acoustic Verses

thanks for the info.
would you agree that "Mirage" is the place to start? (most reviewers seem to think so)

Yeah, Mirage or Snow Goose. Both albums seem to be highly regarded by everyone and I am in agreement. I am also very fond of one their more recent albums, Rajaz. It hearkens back to the mid-70s and the two aforementioned albums.

NP: Camel - Rajaz