Hobbit trailer

Agree. But all the way until next December? I honestly don't know that much about movies. If the film is ready enough to make a trailer, is it not ready enough to show to an audience? What will be done to the film in the year leading up to theater release? How much marketing will have to be done to make sure this film is successful? Won't it ride the coattails of its predecessors and make millions on name alone?

Agree. But all the way until next December? I honestly don't know that much about movies. If the film is ready enough to make a trailer, is it not ready enough to show to an audience? What will be done to the film in the year leading up to theater release? How much marketing will have to be done to make sure this film is successful? Won't it ride the coattails of its predecessors and make millions on name alone?

Uhhh when do the biggest blockbuster movies NOT show off the first trailer a year before the film's release? Remember when the debut trailer for The Dark Knight Rises, coming out Summer 2012 was shown last Summer? I could go on endlessly.

A lot of things can make it this way. For one, trailers can easily be made before the final version is done. Another thing is that there is a release schedule for movies done a long time in advance. And yeah, most people will know about this movie, but they do need to do marketing for it, and in the case of the Hobbit, you know they want to release toys, shirts, etc. to coincide with the release. It's pretty common actually for big movies to have trailers out this early.