Home Audio Advice

entropywins

May 6, 2009
Alright folks, I need some advice. I'm looking to buy a home audio system for my small mancave where I keep my CD's and my drum kit. I've been listening to music on the same crappy JVC "boombox I've had since college and also in the car, on my ipod when running etc.. but it's more than time for an upgrade.
Here's my problem, I don't know squat about what I need, what I should get, good brands, where I should buy it, etc..
Budget is also an issue since putting my kids thru private school takes a big chuck out of "extra" money.

So, here's the deal: Can some of the audiophiles around here give me some suggestions? Is it possible to get anything at all decent for 600.00-800.00
I don't need a complete home theater system for movies and all that--just music.
Any and all info is much appreciated!
Thanks,
Sean

$800 is really tough. Your best bet is to poke around Audiogon and see if you can find an old integrated amp, speakers, and cd player. I think its possible but not easy. It will sound better than your boom box. (probably)

I am no expert at all. Ken helped me out tremendously, but it was more high end. You can probably best stretch out the $800 buying used gear. Try www.audiogon.com and research some of the brands in your price range. If you only want to buy new this is a site that I found to be very reliable that has mid-range audio (possibly still too high for your budget.) www.audioadvisor.com

sony7.1 hts
a 7.1 home theater system is something you can build on.
I've not listened to stereo since the early 70s'.
first there was quad; then home theater
the receiver should run about 300 to 350 dollars.

2] if all you have are cds, then you really don't need a burner,
or a turntable[for vinyl records]. I would stay with a good $200.00 single tray cd player; multi disc are ok, but not quality.

3] speakers; I am sorry Sean, but this will take you some time. Go to bestbuy, or what ever, with a cd you love, from your collection;
and ask that it be played in different Brands.
Speakers are like wine; your taste will be different than anyone else; or you may just like Bud
Polk Audio sold in pairs , have nice bookshelf speakers, as do JBL. Klipsh horns are for people who think they can hear a pin drop.

my best advise is to get a receiver you can build on[adding speakers]; a decent cdplayer[ or even a blu ray player or a Yamaha 1700A]
and speakers you like

good luck
any further need, I am here.

jon

to those who think can hear a pin drop, my apologies:wave:

sonyBDP S360 1080p
sonySTR DN 1010