How to appreciate Death Metal

As I said b4, with the exception of very few bands, I cannot understand how anyone could get into Death, as I do not think they are that talented on the bigger scale of things.

Ah I see.. you're uninformed, gay, and you have a completely valueless opinion.

And for the record, if you just didn't like death metal, it would be fine. We're all entitled to opinions.

However the crap you're spewing is the result of a lack of knowledge. Simple as that.

As I said b4, with the exception of very few bands, I cannot understand how anyone could get into Death, as I do not think they are that talented on the bigger scale of things.

Wow. Wow. Wow. Wow. I can understand if you don't like death metal, because that is your prerogative - and everyone has their opinions, but to think Death was not talenented "in the bigger scale of things" (whatever that means), is to me, a very poor choice of words. Death is one of the most influental metal bands that has come around in a long time. In my opinion, they were one of the first bands that started the whole death metal genre, and later, the technical death metal scene. Ask almost any metal musician on the influence that Chuck Schuldiner had on them and you will be very surprised on the answer that you would receive. I feel he is missed as much as, maybe not more than, Dimebag.

I just don't understand the whole "my music is better than your music" argument. Everyone has different opinions and you will never be able to convince anyone that their music is worse than yours. I like and listen to just about every style of metal that is out there. There are lots of bands I do like and lots of bands I don't like. To say death metal bands are untalented is turning a blind eye to the ton of power metal bands that are also untalented. Every genre of music will have their good bands and bad bands. Metal is not an excpetion to that rule, death, power, prog, or otherwise.

Every genre of music will have their good bands and bad bands.

Agreed. Furthermore, I think any true metal fan will be open to all styles of metal.

For the record, I personally do not like what I've heard from Death - but I respect their contributions to the genre as well as their fans who do like that style.

Did you like when Epica did Crystal Mountain?

Unfortunately I missed ProgPower this year, part of the reason I vanished from this board for awhile (I also got tired of the musical elitism being expressed by a minority of people). That's why I say I don't like what I've heard from Death - it's possible that one day I'll hear something by them that will totally blow me away. But from the songs I have heard, Schuldiner's vocals are not to my taste. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are bad.

well the musical elitism will happen in any meessage board that focuses in a particular genre. Go talk about power metal in a country music message baord and you'll get similar messages.

However, I must say this, I do not know how those death metallists keep their voices after a few shows. Those vox must really do serious damage to the vocal chords.

Well, golly gee whillikers, they probably would. And yet, these guys play show after show, night after night, on tour. I wonder how that could be?

Could it be..........

TALENT ?

:lol:

Unfortunately I missed ProgPower this year, part of the reason I vanished from this board for awhile (I also got tired of the musical elitism being expressed by a minority of people). That's why I say I don't like what I've heard from Death - it's possible that one day I'll hear something by them that will totally blow me away. But from the songs I have heard, Schuldiner's vocals are not to my taste. But I wouldn't go so far as to say that they are bad.

If you want to listen to what Death sounds like, yet have power metal vocals, check out Control Denied. It was the band Chuck started after he put Death on hiatus. It has Richard Christy on drums (who was also in Death), Steve Digiorgio on bass, and Tim Aymar (Pharoah) on vocals.

Well, golly gee whillikers, they probably would. And yet, these guys play show after show, night after night, on tour. I wonder how that could be?

Could it be..........

TALENT ?

:lol:

Pretty much. Its using proper technique, and proper warmups. If you don't warm up right your voice can be shot after one night.

There are a lot of crappy growlers out there. But there are also a lot of crappy singers. Crappy growlers are ones who can growl about 2 notes, and thus stick to the same vocal melody in about every song. Note, that they tend to belong to bands that found one riff they like, and then wrote 10 songs using that same riff.

I prefer growlers who can switch up the sound of the growl, various notes, and still know how to write vocal melodies for growling.

And if you use piss poor technique you get what happened to the lead singer of Avenged Sevenfold during the recording of his second album (or was it on tour?), where he destroyed his voice to the point that he wasn't sure if he'd be able to talk again. But, he regained it, and also ditched the growls somewhat on the latest.

James Hetfield also lost his voice (thrash vocals have some 'growl' elements) during the recording of the Black album I think (okay... maybe he wasn't using his 'thrash voice' during these recordings).

Angela has talked about the issues she had when she was losing her voice. What tends to happen is either tears in the muscle, or nodes. They can be surgically removed/repaired, and like her, if one is smart, they go to a vocal coach/vocal physical therapist, to learn how to take care of their instrument better.

BTW. If you like Control Denied. You should check out Pharaoh. Same vocalist. Pharaoh is more 'traditional' metal though. Great band nonetheless =) Oh. And there are no growls in Control Denied. However, they did put out one of the best albums, ever.

God I miss Chuck......... =(

For every 100 bands in any genre... there's only 5 bands that would really standout to you... and this happends to Death Metal.

I for one used to hate Death Metal... until Opeth ran over me like a cargo train. And of all the extremes, it's my favorite genre, mainly because of the cheer amount of Death Metal bands I like, and because funny enough, they are quite unique in their sound to some point...

Of course there's the Florida scene... Death, Cynic, Atheist, Deicide, Obituary, Morbid Angel, Cannibal Corpse (all of them AMAZING bands)... and then there's bands like Nile, Pestilence, Cryptopsy and Necrophagist... or the old school In Flames, or even Opeth.

Funny enough... what I like about Death Metal is its ability to create an atmosphere in a way not many genres can... and everything about it fits perfectly. Without a doubt, one of my favorite genres...

I said this before on another thread, but people like this make me hate prog/power fans.

Now now dear - no need to be snippy!

It's just a genre of metal I'm not as familiar with. I love Opeth, and actually own a Control Denied cd, but as for getting immersed it it's culture I have not done that.

Can we still be friends? lol

Hehehe you can always get immersed in the bands and not the "culture"... IMO any "culture" related to a metal genre or any musical genre for that matter, is just silly.

Two more of those bands that take themselves seriously: Napalm Death and Obituary. Both of them are in my top 25 all time metal bands. :worship:

Well, since Obituary (and Napalm) do have serious messages in their music, (especially Obit. on World Demise), I do get into them. World Demise is one of my top albums too.