Iced Earth in Atlanta

He did put out 1 great album with Yngwie. Loved seeing him sing the Marching Out classics in Vegas.

Ripper was actually in 2 albums. Perpetual Flame and Relentless. The tracks with Ripper in Relentless were actually recorded during the Perpetual Flame sessions so maybe thats what you were referring to. Both are excellent albums. (Check out "Axe to Grind".) I'm hoping Ripper will team up with Yngwie again in the future.

I caught the IE/Sabaton/Revamp show and it was a fine night of metal throughout.

Revamp was solid, and Floor just has an amazing voice. However, I'd have to be more familiar with the music itself to really judge how good it was. At this stage, I can say that the songs were solid, but nothing that instantly blew me away.

Sabaton was well worth the price of admission alone. Their 9 song set consisted of pretty much their most familiar tunes, as well as one preview from the new album. The singer was fun to watch as always, and the crowd was insanely energetic for an opening act. These guys are on the rise and it's only a matter of time before they're headlining the Masquerade on a regular basis, rather than opening.

Iced Earth continued to demonstrate their new vitality with Stu Block, as they delivered a kickass show. What was great was that the bulk of the set consisted of material that had not been done on the last tour--at least not in North America. There were a handful of songs from the new album, but also some old classics, as well as the return of at least one classic that was a Barlow signature song. The crowd was equally energetic. If I had only one complaint it was the relative shortness of the show (under 90 minutes), but that's a minor complaint.

Sabaton only plays 9 songs? That's kind of a bummer, but I realize they aren't the headliner. I want to go see them up in LA, but driving up there on a Friday afternoon is a really shitty trip from San Diego. I'd basically have to take the day off to do it.

I thought it was a good show. I was surprised at how well ReVamp was received! Sabaton put on an exciting show like I expected. Iced Earth on the other hand was just okay for me at best. I've seen Stu live with them twice now and I just don't think he's that great. In all fairness, I'd hate to follow Sabaton night after night too! I doubt I'll go to any great lengths to see Iced Earth again, unless Barlow returns to the mix. Put it this way, Ashes of Ares' performance at last year's ProgPower steamrolled what I saw from Iced Earth last week...just sayin.

~Brian~

The show got started late. Maybe as much as 30 minutes. Revamp got shafted on time for certain. Pretty sure Sabaton got hurried off a song or two early two but of that I am less certain.

I have no idea about why the show was so tardy getting started. Probably technical difficulties but could have been the VIP arrangement ran long too.

Revamp was spectacular. Floor and friends brought their A game and their performance really shined. After they were done, I heard a couple of guys near me commenting how they had never heard of the band but they would be checking them out now. After the show and between the other acts, Revamp's members came out and spent quite a bit of time posing with fans for pictures, signing stuff, and generally chatting with people.

This was my third time seeing Sabaton and while it was their shortest performance yet in my personal experience, I thought it was their best effort as well. They were spot on musically and full of energy. I loved every second of their set and was sad to see it end.

Iced Earth was excellent as well. By then, bladder issues made me abandon my place up near the front so I watched it from the sides and back. Unfortunately, it was so damned hot in the Masq that night that the crowd was wilting a bit at the end of Iced Earth's performance. Still, I am glad I caught the band live. It was my first time seeing them and I enjoyed their set.

I thought the local opener did very well too, incidentally. I saw Void of Reason a year ago when Kingcrow played in Purgatory. They did OK in that show but the band was much more polished and in the zone on 4/23. I thought they had good stage presence and seemed much more comfortable with each other. I ended up buying a shirt from them as well as both CDs. So far I have only listened to the newest release but it is a very solid piece of work with a couple of gems that will stay on my permanent playlists.

All in all a good night marred only by the shortened sets due to evident time constraints.

Sabaton only plays 9 songs? That's kind of a bummer, but I realize they aren't the headliner. I want to go see them up in LA, but driving up there on a Friday afternoon is a really shitty trip from San Diego. I'd basically have to take the day off to do it.
My friend and I made the drive up from San Diego - left at around 4:45 and walked into HoB right at 8 PM after not making any stops. Gotta love Southern California traffic.

Missed ReVamp so I can't comment on that, but I did see Floor spend a lot of time at their merch booth talking to fans, taking pictures, and she didn't look the least bit annoyed to be there. Not that I've ever heard anything bad about her, but I was really impressed at how long she spent and how happy she was to do it. Total class act.

Sabaton completely owned the night. I don't know how they do it, but they keep getting tighter and tighter live, and the current lineup is absolutely on fire. Nothing against Oskar, Rikard, and the Daniels - they were damn good at ProgPower X - but Chris and Thobbe are amazingly charismatic and Hannes looked to be settling in to the role well. The crowd reception they got was stellar (honestly, louder and more energetic response than Iced Earth) and I can't wait to see their next headlining tour.

Iced Earth were a disappointment, and not just in comparison to Sabaton. They've been my favorite band for fifteen years, but there's something missing. The easy scapegoat would be Stu - and I felt like his performance was a bit off, he honestly was struggling with certain songs and that's not even including "A Question of Heaven," which was dropped from the setlist - but he was still giving it his all. I've seen others say it, but I think Jon has lost a bit of the fire to strive for perfection and he just wants to have some fun. On one hand, I can't blame him - he's been a victim of circumstance and bad luck time and time again, and has persevered. On the other hand, the show just wasn't up to the standard that Iced Earth set in the past. Even as recently as September 2010, they put on an absolutely CRUSHING performance in that same venue and left me speechless, and Stu was better in 2012 on the IE/SymX tour than he was at this show. Friday night, it just wasn't the same band.

The Dallas show was the same.. I'm not a huge fan of ReVamp, but they put on a great show and sounded great.

Sabaton destroyed it - they got 10 songs here. Great crowd energy and they sounded amazing. They really should have been co-headliners, but thats just my opinion.

Iced Earth was okay. The sound guy was a complete disappointment - it took over half of their set to get the sound dialed in - and we were standing 5 feet in front of him. Really? Stu's vocals were buried most of the night, and they left songs on the setlist that he was obviously struggling with, while removing songs that he actually recorded, like Cthulhu (it was on previous setlists and we were really looking forward to it). They even dropped a song from the encore that was on the setlist sheet (The Coming Curse) and went straight into Dystopia.

I enjoyed IE on the SX/IE tour in 2012. This time, not so much.

Am I the only one that thought Iced Earth was too damned loud? Great volume for Revamp & Sabaton and then it became so painful that I left half way through Iced Earth's set.

Saw the show in San Francisco Saturday. All Bands were great. Iced Earth was louder than Revamp and Sabaton by quite a bit. I was enjoying the Hell out of it so I didn't put in my earplugs and my ears are still ringing (more than usual--of course, seing another show on Sunday probably didn't help even though it was the not-too-loud Toad The Wet Sprocket.) Stu's vocals were pretty good in the mix though the lead guitar was low and you could barely hear the solos. Of course, Jon's galloping riffs were front and center in the mix and just thick and heavy as f*ck. It was a packed house--so much so thatthe mosh pit was small and tight as that was all that could fit. (Not that I am in the pit but I was part of the pit wall.) Extra happy bonus was Floor saying that she would be back with Nightwish in April. Given how awesome she was/they were for just her third show with the band (in San Francisco), that is a show i will look forward to.

Really OT here, but how was Toad the Wet Sprocket? My wife's a huge fan and I had the good karma of being able to take her to her first show of them (in 09 or 10, they sounded tight and solid). They're coming to NO again, and I'd like to take her again if possible.

Am I the only one that thought Iced Earth was too damned loud? Great volume for Revamp & Sabaton and then it became so painful that I left half way through Iced Earth's set.
That definitely was the case in LA. Sabaton's mix was really good and the volume level was appropriate (obviously still loud, but with ear plugs in, exactly where I would want it). Iced Earth was considerably louder and the mix was hilariously heavy on Jon. Troy's leads weren't even audible half the time and Stu would only stand out from the mix when he was using certain parts of his vocal range. I'm guessing that neither the mix nor volume were an accident.

With these recent reports, I wonder if Stu is on the chopping Block?
That was terrible. :lol:

I was at the San Francisco show and must say all three bands were fantastic and all three bands got a huge reception. Touring package of the year as far as I'm concerned. As others mentioned, Floor spent a lot of time at the merch booth signing autographs and taking picture. Like Marc said, she said she will be back next April with Nightwish.

Sabaton was the highlight for me. My 5th time seeing them. Always a spectacular show. High energy, funny, tight, solid. I think more people were here for Sabaton than Iced Earth based on the crowd reaction and the number of Sabaton shirts. Sabaton always look like they are having the time of their lives on stage - with huge smiles (smiles while singing about war sounds weird, but they love what they do). The person behind me obviously had never seen them before and hearing the comments of disbelief from him was fun (as much as I hate hearing people talking at show, the occasional comment was quite entertaining).

This was I think my 3rd time seeing Iced Earth, and the best of the three. No complains about them at all. Solid show, but really how do you follow Sabaton?

I saw the tour last week and all three bands were excellent IMO. Stu had no trouble hitting any of the notes. The problem with Iced Earth's sound is Jon and his guitar tone. He's got a crushing tone but he has always been way too loud in the mix to the point where it overpowers everything else. His tone is such that because it's at a ridiculously loud volume, that it literally hurts your ears after a while. Even with really good earplugs I was struggling. Despite the sound issue with Jon I had no issue with their performance at all. It was actually one of the better Iced Earth performances for me.

I think that's Iced Earth's thing. They were too damn loud at PP as well. kind of kills the performance