\m/Misanthropic Hippy\m/
Nov 11, 2001
Ireland
Visit site
Ihsahn - Angl
Candlelight - CANDLE218CD - 26 May 2008
By Paddy Walsh

ihsahn-angl.jpg

Ihsahn's first solo outing, The Adversary, was certainly an interesting diversion, and chock full of many of his trademark strengths as a master songwriter, but it also suffered from a lack of cohesion. Ihsahn let his influences run a little rampant, his propensity for King Diamond worship in particular, and to be honest it's hard to remember any standout moments. Not only is Angl much better in all respects, but it could perhaps be seen as the true follow up to Emperor's swansong, Prometheus: The Discipline of Fire and Demise, as it explores some similar themes whilst inhabiting that classicist, proggy, post-black metal headspace thatto this day only Emperor ever fully realised.

Sure enough, opener 'Misanthrope' recalls 'The Tongue of Fire, whilst the epic, string-laden bombast and blastbeats of 'Malediction' echo 'In the Wordless Chamber'. Ihsahn has managed to reign in the unecessary indulgences of The Adversary in favour of more concise songwriting, yet without compromising the technical prowess he has so effortlessly displayed in the past. 'Unhealer' is a proper highlight, Opeth's Mikael Akerfeldt lending his considerable pipes in both clean and growled capacities, and his emotive singing adds an excellent current through Ihsahn's ever-extravagant guitar playing. The pair trade off growled and rasped vocals during the chorus, and it works so well as to act as a climax of sorts.

Angl isn't perfect, however. The production is a little clinical in places, and as such it can't summon the kind of atmospheric heights that it hints at. Ihsahn has no time for black metal primitivism or its resultant constraints, and as expected this could hardly even be called black metal were it not for his distinct throaty rasp. Yet it's hard to beoman Ihsahn for this as 'Threnody's gentle strains close the album in a suitably eerie fashion, which is when one finally realises that Ihsahn's musical vision far exceeds the limitations imposed by black metal's ideological conservatism. Angl may lack both the nasty, malevolent streak of prime Emperor, not to mention its forest-trolling atmosphere, but as a full on piece of metallic art this is probably up there with the best of the year so far.

Official Ihsahn Website
Official Ihsahn MySpace
Official Candlelight Website

I've only heard this album once so far, but it immediately caught my attention. I couldn't help but think it sounded a lot like Borknagar, one of my favourite bands -- then I realized it was the drumming :) My buddy kept telling me he thought it had a bit of an Opeth feel too which is always cool. Ihsahn has a great voice. Great album and it's definately on my list of albums to pick up eventually..