In the Presence of Wolves - Thalassas

lane_miller

Space Ghost
Aug 31, 2008
Near Raleigh, NC
The band In the Presence of Wolves is definitely getting a lot of airplay in the Miller household these days, even when preparing for 20 incredible bands descending on Atlanta from all over the world in little over a week. Trust me that it takes something really good to distract me from my pre-fest duties. In the Presence of Wolves is a band with metal roots that demonstrates progressive and pop elements. The playing is super strong, but the song writing is even better. My particular favorite is the 3-part title track that covers a lot of musical territory: from heavy riffing to melodic vocals to an intense instrumental guitar interlude to emotional piano to acoustic strumming to a silky smooth guitar/synth outro. IMO, it is classic material. I couldn't find a straight run through, so here is the song Thalassas in three separate segments.

Just seen these guys live yesterday at Prog Day in Chapel Hill, NC. In The Presence of Wolves definitely know how to delliver the goods live. They are one of the most engergetic bands that I have seen over the years. Definitely worth catching if you get a chance!