Interesting NPR Article About A Metal Fan

This hits me right in the feels. I remember discovering that Latino metal fans were a thing. Up until that point, I was an outsider in all musical circles. Even now, it's not common to meet more than a couple Latino metal fans (in THIS area) and they're usually dudes. However, I'm very lucky to know a bunch of black heavy metal fans, because I went to school with them. One of my best friends is a vocalist in NYC (and an artist for DC comics!) named Joe Silver. Totally awesome dude, and he does a really good Faruq impersonation.. XD

I'll definitely give that a listen later on.

I really don't get the exclusionist tendencies of some metal fans. Whenever I see someone that most people would consider a non-traditional fan at a show I get excited. I've not seen but a handful of black women at metal shows, but every time I did I had the same thought "That's awesome! I'm glad this isn't 100% white dudes." I had this same expression about female coders being harassed the other day. Any field is doomed to die a stagnant, sad, and pathetic death without diversity. Metal's no different than anything else in that regard. And especially in regards to metal, the more the merrier. Fans enable the continued life of the genre as a whole so they should all be embraced by all of us.

EDIT: Got to listen. That was very interesting. Definitely worth my time. And it made me want to listen to Screaming for Vengeance.

Interesting interview. I'm not disputing her experiences (because obviously she went through it), but at the same time I've never seen that at any of the metal shows I've been to.

I will say that I've never been to a show where people acted racist towards one another in any outright way (although, the odd black person at a metal show always seems to get stared at alot which is a shame and must be a very uncomfortable experience - but fortunately it never goes beyond that), but if you go on metal forums (not this one - this is seriously the best metal board there is by a long shot), they are seriously the scum of the earth. Some of the most racist, homophobic (and not racist or homophobic in a funny way either), and generally bigoted places on the internet.

This hits me right in the feels. I remember discovering that Latino metal fans were a thing. Up until that point, I was an outsider in all musical circles. Even now, it's not common to meet more than a couple Latino metal fans (in THIS area) and they're usually dudes. However, I'm very lucky to know a bunch of black heavy metal fans, because I went to school with them. One of my best friends is a vocalist in NYC (and an artist for DC comics!) named Joe Silver. Totally awesome dude, and he does a really good Faruq impersonation.. XD

Oh man, the latino metal scene is enormous in NYC. It was an old puerto rican friend of mine who basically got me into metal back in my high school days!

Oh man, the latino metal scene is enormous in NYC. It was an old puerto rican friend of mine who basically got me into metal back in my high school days!

That's awesome! I grew up in a place where I was the only Latino person I really knew, and everyone else liked hip-hop and stuff.. :/ The only people who liked metal in high school were the white kids and they were more into alternative and modern rock.. it's no wonder I was so late into the game! I hated everything on the radio and I didn't know why!

I will say that I've never been to a show where people acted racist towards one another in any outright way (although, the odd black person at a metal show always seems to get stared at alot which is a shame and must be a very uncomfortable experience - but fortunately it never goes beyond that), but if you go on metal forums (not this one - this is seriously the best metal board there is by a long shot), they are seriously the scum of the earth. Some of the most racist, homophobic (and not racist or homophobic in a funny way either), and generally bigoted places on the internet.

The UM boards are the only ones I visit, and even then I only have time for this one, the Divebomb board and the Ragnarokker one. I probably shouldn't be surprised though. The internet seems to bring out the worst in people.

I had just heard about this book through Blabbermouth. It's a shame that the author had these experiences growing up. You would think that in a subculture full of "outcasts," there would be an open acceptance of people from all backgrounds.

Unfortunately, because a great number of people who don't listen to heavy metal are under the wrong impression of its fans, that impression can extend beyond an issue of lifestyle and over to an issue of race. I'm reminded of a situation that happened almost twelve years ago involving a good friend of mine who is black. I was just starting to turn him onto metal, and one of the first bands he really dug was Armored Saint. At the time, Armored Saint was coming to Chicago (coincidentally, they played the night after the very first ProgPower), and I asked my friend if he wanted to go with me to the show. He decided to talk to a few of his co-workers (also black) about it before he decided to go. They told him that they heard that any black people who go to metal shows get singled out and beaten on the spot, so he immediately chose to pass on the concert. Despite my reassurance that he had nothing to worry about, he declined the invitation. Oddly enough, as I enjoyed Armored Saint's set that night, a black man stood next to me the entire time playing air bass. My friend has since wisened up, and not only has he regretted not going to that show (as Armored Saint hasn't been back in Chicago since 2001), he's actually gone with me to ProgPower twice. I guess he finally has his chance to catch one of his favorite metal bands this year.

I hope this author can shed some light on the misconceptions held on both sides of the fence. No one should be ashamed or ridiculed for their tastes in music. I might just have to order this book for myself.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Whenever I see someone that most people would consider a non-traditional fan at a show I get excited. I've not seen but a handful of black women at metal shows, but every time I did I had the same thought "That's awesome! I'm glad this isn't 100% white dudes."

This this this. I started to notice the Latino Metal thing at Masquerade. It intrigued me at first, and then I realized I was being closed minded being intrigued. Modern Metal draws musical inspiration from so many different sources that antone should be able to "feel at home."

Plus - I'm honest enough of a chauvinist to acknowledge that i prefer my concerts to have some "prettiness" other than the occaisional female lead vocalist (or guitarist, or drummer... you get my point).

Plus - I'm honest enough of a chauvinist to acknowledge that i prefer my concerts to have some "prettiness" other than the occaisional female lead vocalist (or guitarist, or drummer... you get my point).

So do I. Men, wash your cut-offs and comb your long hair for goodness' sake! :p

Without having read the book, I will say that the black experience in America is still nothing to be proud of in a general sense...but one would hope that people like us would be a bit more tolerant. I am hoping that she cites isolated incidents, not an overarching trend.

It could be she has only attended mainstream (major label) metal concerts... I haven't read the book but maybe that's the case. If so, that may explain the situations she found herself in. I'm sure she would appreciate the atmosphere at PP. I'm always happy to see all types of people at metal shows... older fans, all races, male and female, kids (with or without their parents), you name it. That spells a healthy metal scene to me. It's when I only see a certain type of people at a metal show that I'm concerned.