Iron Maiden - Raising Hell

Se7enChurches

I Didn't Break the Oath
Aug 21, 2002
Atlanta GA
Visit site
Does anyone have this DVD (Iron Maiden - Rasing Hell)? I remember watching this concert (Bruce's "Farewell" show with illusionist Simon Drake) on pay per view back in 7th grade when it first aired (yeah, i'm a little young relative to Iron Maiden's chronology) and loving it, but most reviews of the DVD have some complaints about the sound quality. I would assume it's the same footage as the pay per view showing and i don't remember the sound quality being that rough, though it's hard to remember something that specific from 11 years ago. I still will probably grab a copy for nostalgia's sake, but i was wondering if anyone owned it and could give their take on it first.

Ryan

I remember that show; I recorded it onto VHS at the time. I haven't watched it at all really since then. I remember that the sound was fairly average, though I was just listening through TV speakers so that's not really a fair measure. I'll have to dig up that tape.

Its pretty good. Nice setlist, hell I found it new for 8 bucks at the store here two years ago. The magic tricks are lame but eh its still good. since I dont have a good system all I can say is that it sounds alot like all my other dvds on my sheisty system

Ben

I hate this DVD, I own it but never play it because the sound quality is absolutely HORRID :yuk: It is frustrating because you can see it is a good show... but even if you turn the volume to the max it is still low and muffled arghhhhh!
Go with any Maiden DVD except this one, and if you want early footage check out "The Early Years" DVD that has been recently released in Europe and soon to be released by the end of this month in North America.

P.S. The magic crap shouldn't be there at all! Very gay...

After seeing the comments in this thread, I had to dig out my old VHS copy to see if it was really that bad (or at least to remember why I haven't watched it in years). And yeah, it's not the greatest Maiden show...

The first couple songs sound muddy, Jannick's guitar is buried in the mix (which could be a plus for some people), and it's just a generally pretty sloppy start. I made it as far as the third song (Evil That Men Do), and when Bruce screwed up the lyrics to the second verse, I gave up. Plus, like Pabla & Daybreaker said, the magic tricks are generally lame. I couldn't take much more...so I hit stop and filed it back away. I didn't want to taint my great memories of Maiden from that era.

Of course Maiden completists should own it, but if you don't HAVE to have everything put out by them, then avoid wasting your money.

...just my two cents!
:Smokin:

I found the sound quality to be superior to their live albums by far. It's still one of the best VHS's I ever picked up. It's also superior to their other VHS which I got(forget it's name) that features their Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour.

I own the DVD. I do agree that it lacks audio and performance-wise, but the setlist is pretty good. Also, the Simon Drake interludes are good for shits and giggles. I think the Rock In Rio DVD is better in terms of sound and performance, but that one lost me with its constant changing of camera angles. I don't think it stays on one angle longer than a second.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Met-Al

adaher said:
I found the sound quality to be superior to their live albums by far. It's still one of the best VHS's I ever picked up. It's also superior to their other VHS which I got(forget it's name) that features their Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour.
That would be "Maiden England" ;)

Pabla said:
I hate this DVD, I own it but never play it because the sound quality is absolutely HORRID :yuk: It is frustrating because you can see it is a good show... but even if you turn the volume to the max it is still low and muffled arghhhhh!
Go with any Maiden DVD except this one, and if you want early footage check out "The Early Years" DVD that has been recently released in Europe and soon to be released by the end of this month in North America.

P.S. The magic crap shouldn't be there at all! Very gay...

Not very Gay. Extremely Gay. :Spin:

This is a Shit gig for Maiden. Lousy setlist, an unispired Bruce and Jannick Gers.

Are we listening to the same VHS?

Is it possible my edition is superior or something?:)

Cuz the sound quality on mine is far superior to any Maiden live album on CD. And the performance is far more animated than anything else on VHS or DVD that they've done.