Is Christian Metal an oxymoron?

^ I agree, no argument from me there. I think the generalization coming from both camps is pointless and is done mostly out of ignorance.

That being the case, I don't think this is the sort of submission that is in view here. If by submission what is meant is oppression, then it would be a rebellion against an abuse and unfair use of authority. In this case submitting to that authority would not only be illegitimate but irrational. Ergo, in this case the right thing to do is to refuse submission and rebel against such an authority.

If Metal is supposed to stand against oppression, then good for it! We of course would disagree as to what constitutes oppression, however.

Umm yes, well I'm just talking about the origins of metal. It originally was made to stand against oppression, and no matter what you think oppression, that's it and that's all. There's no religion to be included here. However, if we look at metal right now, how it is, religion could totally be part of metal. But in the moment were metal was born, religion and moralists tried to extinguish it because it wasn't "normal" to act a such way. Those who are still in the "metalhead" state of being are whether living in misery or just don't give a fuck and live life as entierly as they can, and there's nothing wrong with that (is there?).

But again I don't know where you want to lead this discussion. Metal isn't a music against oppression/submission? No, it absolutely is, just because I say so. It depends, but you can't deny that many listen to it for that reason. Anyway, tell me.

Most christian metal is shit, but being christian metal isn't an oxymoron nor does it necessarily make it shit.

A christian metal band could do well with a sound similar to Dream Theater and pull it off. In fact, a lot of DT songs make me think they might even be a christian band (other not so much)

I don't think it is an oxymoron because metal is not synonym for satanic or evil or whatever.

Plenty of metal bands use Christian iconography in a non-judgemental way (i.e. not saying Christianity is right or wrong but telling a story, e.g. Metallica's 'Creeping Death') and it works within a metal context as well. Plenty of doom bands use similiar narratives as well and they work quite well, so Christian themes seem to work within context. The only difference with a 'Christian Metal' band is that the band is admitted Christians.

Most christian metal is shit, but being christian metal isn't an oxymoron nor does it necessarily make it shit.

A christian metal band could do well with a sound similar to Dream Theater and pull it off. In fact, a lot of DT songs make me think they might even be a christian band (other not so much)

Although you wouldn't class DT as a christian band, I'm pretty sure the majority of the members are christians. Just checked Wikipedia and Labrie, Petrucci and Myung are all christians.

But again I don't know where you want to lead this discussion. Metal isn't a music against oppression/submission? No, it absolutely is, just because I say so. It depends, but you can't deny that many listen to it for that reason. Anyway, tell me.

Well, I am not saying that metal is not against oppression/submission, I am actually granting that it is in this discussion. As far as where I want to lead this discussion, I see it more as an exploration of ideas, it is open ended and the idea is for people to express their opinion on the subject.

Many people do listen to metal for a variety of reasons and metal represents to them different things as well. That is all fine and good, no problem with that. Now, as far as metal being against oppression/submission, is it limited to just that?

Umm yes, well I'm just talking about the origins of metal. It originally was made to stand against oppression, and no matter what you think oppression, that's it and that's all. There's no religion to be included here. However, if we look at metal right now, how it is, religion could totally be part of metal. But in the moment were metal was born, religion and moralists tried to extinguish it because it wasn't "normal" to act a such way. Those who are still in the "metalhead" state of being are whether living in misery or just don't give a fuck and live life as entierly as they can, and there's nothing wrong with that (is there?).

I'm really sorry, but I'm totally not "quite" able to handle this. Metal was "made"? To stand against oppression? Can you possibly explain how this happened? Is there perhaps a document, a case study somewhere out there regarding the making of metal? (The picture of anarchists, in 10 bands of 10, holding hands and chanting while creating a tool to shatter all oppression rather unfortunately comes to mind)

I would say metal has evolved, assimilated cultures and styles of music, and built on itself. I'd also argue that the "image" of metal was initially a commercial concept, made to sell music to a certain kind of people/mindset.

I may of course be totally wrong.

Since metal refers to a band's sound and not their lyrical themes, Christian metal isn't an oxymoron.

IMO any discussion that involves elements of religion as its arguments is downright idiotic, and so it is within metal too.

Well, ok...but that doesn't really has to do with there being something about metal that makes it inherently incompatible with "religion", no?

As far as where I want to lead this discussion, I see it more as an exploration of ideas, it is open ended and the idea is for people to express their opinion on the subject.

Many people do listen to metal for a variety of reasons and metal represents to them different things as well. That is all fine and good, no problem with that. Now, as far as metal being against oppression/submission, is it limited to just that?

Good to know where we are leading with this. I often believe that there is a counter-argument, and it's strange when there aren't really (except someone above). About your question, I don't think that metal is limited to opression only, like you said. Not anymore. That's freedom of expression, you can do whatever you like with "metal", because it is now known as a type of music and as long as you respect certain "standards", anything, any beliefs, any culture, etc. could be part of it nowaday.

I would say metal has evolved, assimilated cultures and styles of music, and built on itself. I'd also argue that the "image" of metal was initially a commercial concept, made to sell music to a certain kind of people/mindset.

I may of course be totally wrong.

Well, there are maybe no official documents about it, in fact. The only reference that we may find is when looking at the roots of metal, those who started this "movement". There are men who had to "fight", and its how metal has been founded, originally, like so many kind of music. Metal wasn't a "commercial concept" at its very beginning, far from that. It was a way to express disaprobation, and it still is and poor countries. I believe you are totally wrong, indeed.

I guess something interesting to consider from here as a little segue, is that although a lot of people believe metal to be anti-religion, other than a few 'satanic' :lol: bands (which are obviously anti-Christian) why are there not any anti-Islam, anti-Judism (outside of a few NSBM), anti-buddhist, etc. bands.

It seems to me that the many Christian denominations are an easy target - and for the most part just take the shit - and I'm not neccessarily talking just within the 'world of heavy metal', it's really right across western society.

Just some food for thought.