Is this right, or delusional?

BenMech

student of the d'eh
CRADLE OF FILTH's Dani Filth Says IRS May Keep Bands Away From The US

Life in Black

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 at 08:00:21 EST

CRADLE OF FILTH frontman Dani Filth says that the IRS may keep fans in the US from seeing their favorite bands.

"The monetary problems part of the world-wide recession has caught up with a lot of bands," says Filth. "A lot of bands are turning away from America 'cause the IRS are trying to get a 30% tax off everybody. It's going to be lucky for people to see European bands."

Well taxes are wrong. But I don't know tax law. Seems reasonable to expect that if we are to have income taxes, that you'd have to pay taxes to the U.S. on income earned while in the U.S.? Not sure.... it also seems like a pain in the ass for touring artists... and then it must get complicated if they are having to pay taxes that income in their home country.

I'm sure that for some people it's true, but certainly not everyone. I still go see my favorite bands.. when they don't play on week nights. >_>

That's not what he's saying. He is talking about a 30% tax levied against the band, not the person going to see said band.

I gotcha. My favorite bands still seem to be able to go on tour. Maybe not all the time, but I haven't been hurting for shows yet. Maybe they will in the future? 30% does seem pretty excessive.

True. But then again, you can count the number of active 80s bands, who wouldn't have been bankrupted by this tax, on one hand.

I know. As a matter of fact, there would be plenty of current, newer bands who'd be in the same boat.

I do have to say, however, that it's an interesting statement by Dani Filth... I'm curious about it now..

I am not sure how it is in your state, but this year Illinois increased the State withholding tax rate from 3.0% to 5.0%.

I am not sure how $$$$ earned overseas is reported by bands.
It probably depends if the band is set up like an S-corp, and files all band income through the company, as opposed to each member filing individually on his or her own behalf.

CRADLE OF FILTH's Dani Filth Says IRS May Keep Bands Away From The US

Life in Black

Posted on Friday, March 11, 2011 at 08:00:21 EST

CRADLE OF FILTH frontman Dani Filth says that the IRS may keep fans in the US from seeing their favorite bands.

"The monetary problems part of the world-wide recession has caught up with a lot of bands," says Filth. "A lot of bands are turning away from America 'cause the IRS are trying to get a 30% tax off everybody. It's going to be lucky for people to see European bands."

I am not sure about this, but what I have heard now is that the lengths of working visas are being decreased so that they no longer apply for the whole year but for the specific tour. This means bands would have to pay for the fees and have to re-do the application for each time they come to the US (so if it's $6,000 for visas, it would be that much + flights each tour. Not to mention having to fill out the applications again and risk being turned down like usual). If this is true, it would definitely mean less and less bands coming to the US.

Further, with all the severe weather problems in Europe such as massive blizzards this past December/January and the volcano eruption in Iceland last year, the European market for live music already lost millions of euros enough as it is and it's going to be hard for bands to tour their own continent.

tl;dr sux 2 b a Euroband.

I am not sure about this, but what I have heard now is that the lengths of working visas are being decreased so that they no longer apply for the whole year but for the specific tour. This means bands would have to pay for the fees and have to re-do the application for each time they come to the US (so if it's $6,000 for visas, it would be that much + flights each tour. Not to mention having to fill out the applications again and risk being turned down like usual). If this is true, it would definitely mean less and less bands coming to the US. .

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070916/215902.shtml

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2009/11/us-visa-restrictions-could-hurt-touring-acts.html

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB126040747425984693-lMyQjAxMDI5NjEwMDQxMDA3Wj.html

The list of articles goes on and on and on....

Honestly, everyone should realize by now that even if the promoter or booking agent does everything 100% right, it is still possible that a visa can be rejected on a whim of someone having a shitty day that does not have to give any explanation other than a form letter response.

So why announce a band before the visa is confirmed? Consider this....

1. The earliest you can submit the application is 6 months before the scheduled date.
2. The goverment can take up to 90 days to rule on it.
3. If you appeal, add 30 days to the overall process.
4. Once you get the approval over here, you still have to schedule the final interviews at each country's respective consul. You can get that done in about 2-3 weeks in a place like Sweden. Add a couple of months if you are in Brazil.

Who needs time to promote a show eh?

Of course, you could pay the additional $1,200 premium processing fee and get a decision back in two weeks. That would only cost me an extra $15,000 in expenses. No big deal right?

nobody cares bro.

Get over yourself. Seriously.
Greg made a potshot at Cradle of Filth, which I just took a step deeper.
You can't be Dani Filth / Cradle of Filth, dress like that, and record that style of music without severe backlash.
If I struck a nerve because these are your "bros" then deal with it.

Get over yourself. Seriously.
Greg made a potshot at Cradle of Filth, which I just took a step deeper.
You can't be Dani Filth / Cradle of Filth, dress like that, and record that style of music without severe backlash.
If I struck a nerve because these are your "bros" then deal with it.

u mad?

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20070916/215902.shtml

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2009/11/us-visa-restrictions-could-hurt-touring-acts.html

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB126040747425984693-lMyQjAxMDI5NjEwMDQxMDA3Wj.html

The list of articles goes on and on and on....

Honestly, everyone should realize by now that even if the promoter or booking agent does everything 100% right, it is still possible that a visa can be rejected on a whim of someone having a shitty day that does not have to give any explanation other than a form letter response.

So why announce a band before the visa is confirmed? Consider this....

1. The earliest you can submit the application is 6 months before the scheduled date.
2. The goverment can take up to 90 days to rule on it.
3. If you appeal, add 30 days to the overall process.
4. Once you get the approval over here, you still have to schedule the final interviews at each country's respective consul. You can get that done in about 2-3 weeks in a place like Sweden. Add a couple of months if you are in Brazil.

Who needs time to promote a show eh?

Of course, you could pay the additional $1,200 premium processing fee and get a decision back in two weeks. That would only cost me an extra $15,000 in expenses. No big deal right?

Being a good promoter is TOUGH hahaha. But I am sure it's very rewarding as well. :)