It's All In The RIFF, Baby!

Dec 3, 2004
Arizona, USA
www.ryanseek.com
To me, the songs in my library that I keep going back to are the ones with the catchy, really heavy, grooving, crunchy riffs. That's what this thread is about! Post links via Youtube (or whatever) of YOUR favorite riffs of all time and keep coming back every time you think of another. Maybe we can all discover some new music (or RE-discover some old) for those moods when only the CRUNCH of distortion guitar can scratch that itch!

Remember, this is all about GUITAR RIFFS that grab you and won't let you go... so I don't expect to see any Dream Theater here! Tony Iommi, on the other hand, might just dominate this thread...:headbang:

Dream Evil - Book of Heavy Metal.

Megadeth - How the Story Ends (that intro riff is just ungodly)

Theocracy - Laying the Demon to Rest (The intro riff might be the heaviest recorded guitar riff in history).

And the one and only:

( sorry for the bad links, PC is being pimped and can't figure out how to get the correct links on a tablet :loco: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice way to start a thread Ryan, I love Meliah Rage.

Fixed for you Gert ;) (all you need is the [youtube] tag and the YT code from the share address).

Don't know if this properly applies, but once you passed the piano intro, you have

And the one and only

Ritchie Blackmore, just because you've written the most famous guitar riff of all time, worked with some of the most regarded musicians in the genre, influenced millions of guitarists, and sold tens of millions of albums is no guarantee that you are worthy of ascending to the rock n' roll hall of fame. Only disco artists no one gives a shit about can achieve that.

That Loudness song was really good. I didn't think it was catchy, but it was kind of odd in an awesome Mercyful Fate kind of way, and definitely chunky heavy stuff. Need to check that album out.

I know of very little with swagger enough to compete with this:

And the one and only:

Wow Gert, never heard that riff before!

Nice way to start a thread Ryan, I love Meliah Rage.

Don't know if this properly applies, but once you passed the piano intro, you have

You think I don't know how to suck up to the administrator by playing one of his fave bands on a new thread? :wave:

Locamotive Breath definitely applies! The thread is about killer guitar riffs, but I didn't say it couldn't be intro-ed, outro-ed, or accompanied by other instruments.

That Loudness song was really good. I didn't think it was catchy, but it was kind of odd in an awesome Mercyful Fate kind of way, and definitely chunky heavy stuff. Need to check that album out.

I know of very little with swagger enough to compete with this:

Awesome, the whole point of the thread, and Hamburger already has a lead on a new album to check out! And way to suck up to the thread starter (me!) than by playing a classic from his favorite band of all time, SAVATAGE!

Now this damn thread have me thinking about riffs!

One of my favorites :worship:

i always thought this riff was pretty simple but cool. its much better in the vicious delite version of "railbreak". "railbreak" is a song by mickey ratt (pre ratt) that pearcy redid the song with his band vicious delite in the mid 90's. he reused the riff for this ratt tune "steel river" but they don't keep the groove going as long as vicious delite did.

They were good once.

And they're good again. I still think their last 3-4 albums are every bit as good as their first 3-4. They're just not as groundbreaking.

UA and "Endgame" are meh, and 13 is crap.

Dave lost it many, many years ago.