I've finally exorcized the ghost of PPIII!!

Andy Laudano

Feb 24, 2005
Ft Worth Texas
Almost 5 yrs ago I walked into a friends CD shop to find autographed mini-posters from Edguy, Blind Guardian and Gamma Ray on the wall. Having only recently been introduced to the European power metal scene, I freaked out over seeing Kai Hansen and Tobias Sammett's autographs and asked where he got them from. "A friend saw them play a festival LAST WEEK in ATLANTA and brought them back for me." That was my introduction to Prog Power, 3 bands I thought I'd NEVER get the chance to see play in the US actually did, and I fouund out about it a week too late! I haven't missed a PPUSA since. Blind Guardian toured the US that year and I saw them. I finally saw Edguy at PPV, but all this time it's haunted me that I never got to see the legendary Kai Hansen and Gamma Ray. Last night in Minnesota I finally put that ghost to rest.

This was just an amazing show. I missed the opening band Kwang because I went to get something to eat after being lucky enough to see Gamma Ray's soundcheck. (Thanks Nathan)

Mirror Black played next. The main guitarist and the bass player were really talented and the singer wasn't bad but they weren't really my thing. I just tend to like songs with big hooks and catchy sing along choruses and that's just not their style. That's my problem, not theirs. They did a good job and many in the crowd really liked them.

Next was Miles Beyond and HOLY SHIT what a surprise they were!! These kids were damn good!! Lots of twin guitar leads and harmonies and the singer sounded a bit like Bruce Dickinson! The guitarist and singer/guitarist would switch to playing the necks of each others guitars in the middle of songs without missing a lick - it was amazing to watch. They could be the best unsigned band in the US.

Next up was Celladoor (I'm sure I spelled that wrong - sorry). They were really loud and really fast. Unfortunately, from where I was standing the vocals were lost in the mix. That's too bad because when I could hear him, it sounded like he had a really good voice. They did a nice cover of "Eagle Fly Free." I'd like to hear a CD so I can gage them better. I'd also like to hear them do a mid-tempo song, or one that starts out slow and then builds to the really fast tempo they play at.

Avian played their first gig ever and they were awesome! They were the reason I chose to travel to this city to see Gamma Ray. Lance King is one of my favorite vocalists and it was a pleasure to see him perform live! Nathan even got on stage and sang a song with them - way to go SwordLord! It's good to be the promoter!

Gamma Ray was unbelievable! The best band I've seen this year! The set list was the same as the previous cities - with one major exception!! Instead of just playing "I Want Out," we got a medley that started with most of "Ride the Sky," a good amount of "Future World" and all of "I Want Out"!!! I just about lost my mind!

After the show Kai and Henjo signed some autographs before their tour manager made them leave. Thanks again to Nathan and his partners for putting on this killer show. It was so much fun seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Extra special thanks to Nathan and Jason for getting a friend (who's name escapes me - damn jet lag!) to give me a ride back to the airport so I didnt have to waste money on a taxi. Totally worth the trip from Texas to Minnesota!

(To anyone still reading, sorry this was so long!)

My exorcism was complete at PPVI. I saw Edguy at V, Blind Guardian locally, DC Cooper at the pre-show(All right, not the same as seeing Silent Force but close enough) and Angra at PPVI.

And I have no problems with seeing any of those bands again. I'll pay good money to see Edguy or Angra especially headline another ProgPower.

I have gained some ghosts for missing this show.

I don't even want to get started.. :bah: :cry:

I'm VERY happy to hear that you enjoyed MILES BEYOND! I'm hosting them on a show of
mine for the first time at the end of this month. I've had it set since March and have been
itching for the date to come ever since!! And just because I love them so much, I have them
scheduled to play my birthday party in August, too :tickled:

I agree that they are one of the best unsigned bands in the country. I've been trying to tell
everyone that for months! 'bout time word gets out! :lol:

www.myspace.com/milesbeyond

Andy Laudano said:
Next was Miles Beyond and HOLY SHIT what a surprise they were!! These kids were damn good!! Lots of twin guitar leads and harmonies and the singer sounded a bit like Bruce Dickinson! The guitarist and singer/guitarist would switch to playing the necks of each others guitars in the middle of songs without missing a lick - it was amazing to watch. They could be the best unsigned band in the US.

[TimTheEnchanter]

20-tim.jpg

AHAHAH! I warned yooo but would you listen to me? OOOH nooo...

[/TimTheEnchanter]

Just wait til their gig in Germany.... game over!

sh0kr0k said:
I'm VERY happy to hear that you enjoyed MILES BEYOND! I'm hosting them on a show of
mine for the first time at the end of this month. I've had it set since March and have been
itching for the date to come ever since!! And just because I love them so much, I have them
scheduled to play my birthday party in August, too :tickled:

I agree that they are one of the best unsigned bands in the country. I've been trying to tell
everyone that for months! 'bout time word gets out! :lol:

www.myspace.com/milesbeyond

Every now and then an opening act comes along and just blows people away - that's what happened here. It's funny, I was talking to the drummer, Tod Fisher before the show and asked him who he would compare their sound to. He said Iron Maiden and my first thought was that's cool, but those are some pretty big shoes to fill. We've all seen bands in the past that claim to sound like a big name act, only to be disapointed once we see them. I wasn't expecting much and they really exceeded my expectations! I wish them all the best and hope I get the chance to see them play again.

Andy, glad you had a good time! I enjoyed meeting you and hanging afterwards. I am pleased to hear I could help in exorcising your demons (I can't take much credit; I was only responsible for Avian - Nathan and John get credit for Gamma Ray).

My ghost is not coming to PP V when Nathan begged me too. Even the Midnight autograph session couldn't sway me. Then Nathan saw "Midnight at 6am" and I've been kicking myself ever since. I attended my first PP last year and will be back in Sept! Looking forward to seeing you then!

Oh, and re the other bands:

Miles Beyond: I was impressed, too! I'm looking forward to hearing more from them.

Cellador: yes, their frontman is AWESOME! Voice like Kiske. Their debut album comes out June 27. We've had them up to Minneapolis twice and been really pleased with them!

- Jason

SeaStorm said:
Andy, glad you had a good time! I enjoyed meeting you and hanging afterwards. I am pleased to hear I could help in exorcising your demons (I can't take much credit; I was only responsible for Avian - Nathan and John get credit for Gamma Ray).

My ghost is not coming to PP V when Nathan begged me too. Even the Midnight autograph session couldn't sway me. Then Nathan saw "Midnight at 6am" and I've been kicking myself ever since. I attended my first PP last year and will be back in Sept! Looking forward to seeing you then!

I went to PPV but missed out on the "Midnight at 6am" too. I did see the "Crimson Witches" performance at BW&BK2 though. Jack Frost and Ben Jackson with acoustic guitars in the hotel bar and Midnight and James Rivera singing. Rivera sang "Diamonds and Rust" and some of "Heaven and Hell" and Midnight did "Lost Reflection." Then they traded verses on "Beyond the Realms of Death." That was unbelievable! The next day Midnight & Jackson also played an acousic set at Alice Cooper's Cooperstown.

I enjoyed meeting and hanging out with you too. As Nathan said at Denney's, that's what this kind of music is all about. Thanks again for everything and I'll see you at PPVII.