James Labrie's Voice

I think it's more of the fault on the band that forgot how to write parts that suit his vocals because they've become more interested in being a parody of themselves seeing who can jack their instruments off harder in 12 minutes rather than actually writing cohesive tunes.

While I wouldn't go as far as you put it, much of it has to do with songwriting and becoming more "progressive." If you listen to the newest Eden's Curse release, James is a guest vocalist and his voice sounds great in the context of the melodic metal style they write in. In fact, although the sample is fairly small, it is some of his best work in my ears.
Another good example of songwriting that doesn't work with the strengths of vocalists is the first redemption CD. Ray and Rick Mythiason (I know I spelled that wrong, but I am too lazy to look it up) sang on that disc. Both are excellent vocalists, but the songs really didn't "flow" the best in the world with either vocalist.
All musicians, no matter how talented are limited in what works for them, though some more than others. Unfortunately for vocalists, while the most expressive, are also the most limited in other ways. I think Dream Theater's writing style does not really use James' vocal strengths as a priority when writing songs. I could be dead wrong here, but I seriously doubt it. James has to work atround some really weird progressive music.

Bryant

While I wouldn't go as far as you put it, much of it has to do with songwriting and becoming more "progressive." If you listen to the newest Eden's Curse release, James is a guest vocalist and his voice sounds great in the context of the melodic metal style they write in. In fact, although the sample is fairly small, it is some of his best work in my ears.
Another good example of songwriting that doesn't work with the strengths of vocalists is the first redemption CD. Ray and Rick Mythiason (I know I spelled that wrong, but I am too lazy to look it up) sang on that disc. Both are excellent vocalists, but the songs really didn't "flow" the best in the world with either vocalist.
All musicians, no matter how talented are limited in what works for them, though some more than others. Unfortunately for vocalists, while the most expressive, are also the most limited in other ways. I think Dream Theater's writing style does not really use James' vocal strengths as a priority when writing songs. I could be dead wrong here, but I seriously doubt it. James has to work atround some really weird progressive music.

Bryant

Eh. I wouldn't say the progressive part is what makes it more difficult for him in DT. I would say it's more the heavier direction they've gone in that may make it more difficult for him. At times it seems a thrash vocalist would be good for some of their more recent stuff and he just can't do that.

Eh. I wouldn't say the progressive part is what makes it more difficult for him in DT. I would say it's more the heavier direction they've gone in that may make it more difficult for him. At times it seems a thrash vocalist would be good for some of their more recent stuff and he just can't do that.

I suppose if you want to put it that way it is correct as well. The fact of the matter is that there are great singers that never get to shine and poor singers who do shine due to the "right" songs.
For example, I love "Keep on Rockin' in the Free World" by Neil young. You couldn't put one of the best vocalists in the world on that song and blow away Neil on that song, though Neil Young can't sing a lick really.

Bryant

I have not heard any of it, but isn't there a recent LaBrie solo album out? What kind of style is on that? Is there a lot of high register shrieking? Low register growls? Scats? Spoken word? I would think that a solo album would be representative of how a vocalist would be most comfortable...or is that when they are the most experimental?

I have not heard any of it, but isn't there a recent LaBrie solo album out? What kind of style is on that? Is there a lot of high register shrieking? Low register growls? Scats? Spoken word? I would think that a solo album would be representative of how a vocalist would be most comfortable...or is that when they are the most experimental?

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought Elements Of Persuasion was the most Awake-like thing released since Awake. Didn't like the new one though (also hate Jens Bogren's mixes)

I love Labrie's two solo disks. Mullmuzzler was OK. I'm a huge DT fan but couldn't get into their first album when I got it back in the 80s. One of my biggest complaints was the vocals. I think that DT finally arrived once Labrie got into the band. However, I have heard some lackluster live performances from him, but I'm not surprised considering what he went through with his ruptured vocal cords and how high a lot of that material is.

Someone mentioned singers matching the music a band writes and that is so true. I am also a huge John Arch fan, but I'm so glad that DT didn't pick him. Not a good match at all. He's an awesome vocalist, just not good for their stuff.

He did have some vocal issues during the early 00's (I think this well documented in the DT book and elsewhere) and was almost fired from the band at that point as well.

I definitely DO prefer his voice on record as opposed to live, where he is somewhat inconsistent. On record he generally sounds great. I understand folks who don't like the timbre and tone of his voice, but he's got good control and range. That "breathy" quality sometimes works well ("Voices") and other times (too many!) is kind of annoying. On the bright side, he's pretty versatile and he hasn't lost too much of his range over the years.

Is he an acquired taste? Definitely so, probably even moreso than Tate, Alder, Dio and Jorn, I think.

Of course, on DT records, he's generally singing Petrucci or Portnoy's melodies. On his solo stuff - I agree, where he sounds the strongest and most natural - he's really quite powerful and up front. His last solo CD (Static Impulse) was kick ass! And Elements of Persuasion was really quite good too. He sounded great on the Frameshift stuff as well.

I'd concur with Kingsgene, Labrie talks about his vocal problem to what he did to recover here at the 6 minute mark if you don't want to hear about his vocal regimen with the Jaime Vendera (of MythBusters/Guinness Book being the only person on record who has shattered glass with just his voice): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks2V33Ee0yc. I liked their earlier stuff the best, Images and Words the most, when I think they had a good focus on song writing over just pasting together riffs (lol forgive me Dream Theater fans:) but that pitchyness was occurring I think when he had an opera teaching instructor whom he later realized it was not the best style/regimen to use for metal. I got to see them twice once for the Awake cd and once at the Gigantour in AC and he sounded fantastic.