John Petrucci is absolutely insane.

Personally, I liked Petrucci's playing on WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE and IMAGES AND WORDS best; subsequently he became more technical and clever, but somehow I enjoyed the energy and passion of the early material better. It's almost like he is a little too clean now, IMO...

Neal

MysticX9 said:
Personally, I liked Petrucci's playing on WHEN DREAM AND DAY UNITE and IMAGES AND WORDS best; subsequently he became more technical and clever, but somehow I enjoyed the energy and passion of the early material better. It's almost like he is a little too clean now, IMO...

Neal

Yes, he used to actually RUN around the stage during concerts along with Myung, but ever since they dropped the "hair metal" approach around When Dream and Day Unite.

I think it was a wise choice. It made him the amazing guitarist he is now.

Stoink said:
nope "octavarium", I got a promo copy.

Damn, I'm jealous "me wants one!!!!"

I just got the DT When Dream and Day Reunite dvd. It's really good and makes a nice addition to my collection. Sort of funny watching Charlie and James posture their roles, like watching a nature program (ha ha).

MysticX9 said:

Neal

Petrucci's best playing was easily on Awake and the LTE's. I dunno what happened to him, but he just seems more preoccupied with speed now than with actually having melodically interesting solos. I haven't really liked his playing since I heard 6DoiT, but Awake - LTE will always have some of my favorite guitar playing on it.

He was also really good on Explorers Club, if anyone remembers that.

Yngvai X said:
Petrucci's best playing was easily on Awake and the LTE's. I dunno what happened to him, but he just seems more preoccupied with speed now than with actually having melodically interesting solos. I haven't really liked his playing since I heard 6DoiT, but Awake - LTE will always have some of my favorite guitar playing on it.

He was also really good on Explorers Club, if anyone remembers that.

I need to go back and check out AWAKE and the LTE's again, been awhile
since I've heard them. The first Explorers Club was excellent, shame the second one was, er, not too good :)

Neal

shit... I bought it from the online store, didn't actually check it in stores yet. So that sucks for me. I guess I'm wrong, oh well, order it online then! Man is the cover sexy.