Katatonia, Orphaned Land and more At the Masquerade Atlanta 10/4/10

sava_freak

Sep 21, 2004
Anybody going? This show is going to be great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Local Band Void of Reason (V.O.R.) is opening
http://www.voidofreason.com

If anyone is wanting to go and has not bought tickets yet, please buy them from a VOR band member and save money.

Thanks

Alan

Is Orphaned Land still playing? I noticed they weren't on the Masquerade's website. I'm going anyways, as Katatonia and Swallow the Sun are excellent live.

Are you sure Orphaned Land is going to be there? They aren't listed on the masq site.

If anyone needs tix PM me and I can meet you before the show. Or you can buy tix for $15 at our website through paypal and we will leave a ticket for u at the door. www.voidofreason/tickets. Thanks! This is going to be an incredible show! Rob/VOR

I saw Katatonia, Orphaned Land, and Swallow The Sun here in Portland OR last Thursday. Good show!

Swallow The Sun didn't do much for me. Orphaned Land was fantastic, as expected! I got to talk to Kobi for a few minutes at the merch stand, which was totally cool, he's a nice guy and very appreciative of his fans. He noticed my ProgPower t-shirt right away. I first saw them at PPX, didn't realize they had played in 2005 also.

Katatonia was very good too. Since Night Is The Day day is such a "produced" album I was curious how it would come over live. Some of the songs kinda sounded like they were missing something. But material from The Great Cold Distance, Viva Emptiness, and Discouraged Ones was all really good live. And they played all my favorite songs...Evidence, July, Idle Blood.

The masquerade's has a pretty bad track record for not showing when bands are playing unless they're crunkcore.

Man, sometimes I really hate Atlanta. THe type of stuff that sells tickets around here is just kinda depressing.

I *MIGHT* actually be there, depending on my work schedule, and I swear i'm a much nicer and more positive person in the flesh than I am over the Internet.

I might have to skip this show but I really really hope not. I love the new Katatonia album and missed them the last time they came.

This is an awesome package too. Not often a tour comes through where I really like every band on the bill.

Is Orphaned Land still playing? I noticed they weren't on the Masquerade's website.

This has really worried me, since I've been announcing on WREKage that OL would be on the bill. But.....

OL has it listed on thier myspace website that they will be
http://www.myspace.com/orphanedmyspace

....THIS makes me feel more certain about it. :)

The Masquerade lists two local openers (well, one local, "Habitat Noise," and the apparently as-yet-unlisted V.O.R.).....so I'm wondering if THEY know there's a third touring band on the bill?

Sometimes the Masquerade lists all the bands, and sometimes they add/switch bands out at the very last minute and don't put it up on the website. That just seems to be the trend.

I'll be there on Monday to enjoy & support VOR & Katatonia. This is gonna be killer -- I've never seen Katatonia live!

And of course I have to make the plug -- any of you who haven't gotten your Epica / Scar Symmetry tickets yet, get yours cheap ($16) from me that night! Just look for the bellydancer :)

121710_Masq.jpg

Orphaned Land was awesome. They put on a highly energetic show, and seem to live and breathe playing music. Reminds me of Eluveite in that way. I think this might have been the best of the 3 times I've seen them. Left after a few Swallow the Sun songs, they are a good band, but I had to get going. Had to miss Katatonia as well (obviously). It is unfortuante, but I'll see them some day. Just glad I was able to see Orphaned Land.

Saw them a week ago here in AZ. Orphaned Land and Swallow The Sun are alternating slots each night so whoever goes on before Katatonia gets a longer set. It just so happened Orphaned Land got the longer set on my night. They were awesome and even though not many in the crowd were familiar with them, they got a good reception. It seemed like more folks were there for Swallow The Sun as they got a great response. They sounded great too as always, although I wish they would have played longer. I had to leave after a few songs for Katatonia as I wasn't feeling well, but from what I saw they were good too. I'm just not sure all the slow songs with the clean guitars would keep me interested for 90 minutes. There needs to be more energy in their songs for them to go over better live.

Saw them a week ago here in AZ. Orphaned Land and Swallow The Sun are alternating slots each night so whoever goes on before Katatonia gets a longer set. It just so happened Orphaned Land got the longer set on my night. They were awesome and even though not many in the crowd were familiar with them, they got a good reception. It seemed like more folks were there for Swallow The Sun as they got a great response. They sounded great too as always, although I wish they would have played longer. I had to leave after a few songs for Katatonia as I wasn't feeling well, but from what I saw they were good too. I'm just not sure all the slow songs with the clean guitars would keep me interested for 90 minutes. There needs to be more energy in their songs for them to go over better live.

The thing about this tour is that Orphaned Land in general is WAY, WAY more energetic than the other two bands. The other two are good bands to listen to when you're inside on a rainy or snowy day to just chill to. I think the other two are good for what they do, but their music just doesn't lend itself to being a top tier live show. Had no clue Swallow and Orphaned Land were rotating. Interesting.

Yeah, I LOVE Katatonia, but at the same time, I can certainly understand why people don't care for them, esp live.

That is how I am with Opeth. I like them, but live they bore me to tears.

Simon - The official billing of the tour is Katatonia / STS / Orphaned Land. If you remember ,I was scratching my head at our show when STS came out, saying, "That's not Orphaned Land"

I had a STS disc many years ago which I recall liking, but for some reason, they didn't do it for me live. Maybe I need to give another disc a shot.

Any recommendations from the STS fans as to the premiere disc to check out? The one I had previously was THE MORNING NEVER CAME, or whatever it is called.