Kiko (Angra) shred video

As with much of Angra's material IMO, its very complicated and neo-classical, yet lacking in tastiness. One he got down to a simpler solo though, it was nice.

He's damn good (especially live). However, that's why I hate guitarist solo albums like this because it's boring musically to me. Only the little melody part where he slowed down made it worthy at all as a song.

Amazing guitarist, however - I doubt I'll pick up his solo CD if its like that

Cool video though!

ragingsaxmachine said:
As with much of Angra's material IMO, its very complicated and neo-classical, yet lacking in tastiness. One he got down to a simpler solo though, it was nice.

I kinda agree with ya.. I am not really into their newer stuff... But I think Angels Cry is the best Power Metal ever... And Holy land is one of the best prog metal discs ever...
They kinda lost me after that.. But they had a LOT of taste.... I absolutely adore there first 2 albums.. :)

But what do I know? I think 90% of this board prefers newer Angra! :puke:

Angrafan said:
I kinda agree with ya.. I am not really into their newer stuff... But I think Angels Cry is the best Power Metal ever... And Holy land is one of the best prog metal discs ever...
They kinda lost me after that.. But they had a LOT of taste.... I absolutely adore there first 2 albums.. :)

But what do I know? I think 90% of this board prefers newer Angra! :puke:

I love new Angra and old Angra. Temple of Shadows and Holy Land are my two favorite Angra discs. :) I like that all of their albums are different, but even with a change in singers, they all have that "Angra" sound. Which in itself is very unique. It probably helps that I also really l like both singers.

As for Kiko's solo album, I think it is fantastic. There's a lot going on, but I like that in music in general. And there's a ton of great solos and melody all over the place. It's actually one of my favorite albums of 2005, and while I do like instrumental albums, it's rare that they wind up on my top 10.

ragingsaxmachine said:

I'm not sure what makes you say that. Angra's material is not all that complicated. As far as power metal goes they are pretty melody oriented and usually have fairly straightfoward structures. Symphony X does things a lot more complicated than Angra. Personally I think Angra's songwriting is top notch and really only second to Gamma Ray in the 'pop power metal' style. Angel's Cry and Rebirth are both top notch albums, even with different singers (I like both, but Edu is better).

SyXified said:
I'm not sure what makes you say that. Angra's material is not all that complicated. As far as power metal goes they are pretty melody oriented and usually have fairly straightfoward structures. Symphony X does things a lot more complicated than Angra.

Well, you maybe thinking about showing off your guitar and keyboard skills. Symphony X music is pretty much driven by the chunky guitar of Romeo (constantly in pretty cool and different time signatures), verse, chorus with lots of keyboards and the usual keys-guitar showoff. They do have lots of changes in the structure of the song, but sometimes it becomes too much of a formula (as much as it differs lots of times). Kind of unnecessary. Mixing classical music (heavily) also does not make it more complicated.

In Angra, take songs such as The Shadow Hunter, Hunters and Prey, Late Redemption... Quite different stuff, going away from the usual straightforward power metal structures, beautifully arranged. Then you take songs like Carry On, ZITO and Never Understand. Not very complicated, but the arrangement and the musical technique (I dont mean just show off) is almost beyond comprehension! I think of a song such as Inferno by Symphony X and it doesn't show me that much of a well structured song (as much as it rules!)

SyXified said:
Personally I think Angra's songwriting is top notch and really only second to Gamma Ray in the 'pop power metal' style.

Disagree again. I think almost every Gamma Ray song sounds the same. They do not use all the different musical styles and approaches to their music like Angra does. They do not do anything innovative to their music. Yes, I am a fanboy, but I'm also a musician and I am trying to separate the fanboytitis from an actual music-based argument.

SyXified said:
Angel's Cry and Rebirth are both top notch albums, even with different singers (I like both, but Edu is better).

Agreed big time! Both singers are great, but Edu gives Angra a much more powerful vibe IMO.

I think compared to SX musicians, Angra's are way more versatile and technical. Just look at Kiko's solo album or the arrangement they're always coming up with. Compare Kiko's solo album with Michael Romeo's solo album. Fuck, Rafael is a degreed Orchestra Conductor! I think if you just keep beating the same dead horse like SX does (and a LOT!!!!) it becomes boring! But I really like SX too, I'm not taking credit away from them!