Labyrinth!

nightwish58

Feb 11, 2002
New York
Visit site
The best Italian progressive, power metal band out there. Glenn, please bring these guys over here. They are so awesome, and this festival needs the Italian metal scene represented. What better band to do that than Labyrinth? Maybe Rhapsody, but tight, I'd rather see Labyrinth. If not, then get the next best thing, Vision Divine! One of the best singers of the genre in Fabio Leone. Bang it Out!!!

True, that was a big blow to the band in my opinion as well. The way I see it however, is that even if their new stuff is not that great, we still have No Limits, Return, and Sons of Thuder from which they would play songs from. Obviously I hope they are still able to push forward w/o the great Olaf!!! Good point though.

Return to Heaven Denied is a great power metal album!!! One of the best ever. Sons of Thunder was a big disappointment though. Not only the music, but the sound was horrible on that album.

Well labyrinth is a power metal band, not really that progressive actually. But I think they will do just fine, if not better without Olaf. Personally I think he was holding a lot of them back and under constraints. Since he left, they ditched their stage names and made a few other changes as well. The fact that they say "he left peacefully" is not what I beleive. I think there was major problems between decisions and everyone was getting tired of dealing with it. And besides, the reason Sons of Thunder sucks is because of Olaf. Not because of his talent, we all know he is good, but because of other problems. Im thinking they are most likely going to go back to the more experimental days like No limits. I think they will be just fine.

Although "Sons of Thunder" is a turd, and the future of the band is nebulous... "Return to Heaven Denied" remains one of the greatest albums of the power metal genre. I would definately welcome the addition of Labyrinth to the ProgPower itinerary.

You know I look at it like this. Sons of Thunder was the way it was cuz Olaf was being weirdin my opinion. From all that I read and heard and all that other stuff, it's no wonder. Olaf wanted to start fitting that band into a gimic or something, that band had no gimics, infact that band failed at the gimics. From what I understand at the moment, the band is going to start using their real names, and not the stage names.

So I think the band is going to do better now that Olaf is gone. I talked to Anders Rain 1 time, and he said he was hoping the band would move back into experamenting more like they used to, so now that Olaf is gone, I'm guessing they will. So that makes me happy and we can now hear another great album like the 2 previous ones.

So I can't wait for Labyrinth's new one.

And as for Labyrinth at ProgPower, I hope they come. Because Labyrinth is my favorite band of all time.

Vegeta

"So I think the band is going to do better now that Olaf is gone."

Tight. First off, I don't think Sons of Thunder is as bad as people are making it out to be. There are some great classic songs on that album. I do agree that Return and No limits are better. As for Olaf being the cause of what some feel was a poor Sons of Thunder album, that is not true. I met the man at Wacken this past summer as he was there with Vision Divine. He told me that he wanted to go back to the Return album, but it was the other members who wanted to continue in the Sons of.. vein. This was Olaf's band, and he could have broken it up if he wanted to, but he is allowing the remaining members to continue on under the labyrinth name. Olaf was an uncredibly nice guy and even apologized to me for what happened with Labyrinth. Time will tell what the next album brings.

Dude, Labyrinth is the best melodic metal band!!!!!!!
They fucking rule!!!!!!!!!
Return to heaven denied in my opinion is the best album in this sytle

...isn't exactly as i've been reading here.
I'm from Italy,and i know Olaf left 'cause he wanted to keep labyrinth close to the No Limits/Return to Heaven Denied Stuffs,but the other guys (remember they are almost all NEW,and did not participated to the recordings,neither the songwriting) were not intended to play that kind of music.
I would also add that if you look at the booklet of NL and RTH you will see that Olaf is the one who wrote the most songs,and so it's a little difficult for me to believe he didn't like the music he did.Vision Divine in fact still goes on playing definitely closer to those albums,at least much more than the last Labyrinth Album.
Ciao!

you maybe right, that is not what I heard. But we will see what comes up the next album and decipher if they will fall or not.

Originally posted by nightwish58
Sad Angel: That is exactly what I was told by Olaf as well as I stated in a previous post. That is why I'm a bit concerned about the future of this great band.

Anyway Lione and Thorsen are together again in Vision Divine,and this point even if i still like Labs,i think VD are the ones who keep that sound alive,like they did in the first No Limits.
So far,so good...

I like Vision Divine, but for some reason, the last album did not do it for me the way Labyrinth has. However, they were incredible at the Wacken festival. Nothing will be like No Limits era Labyrinth!

Yes,that's clear.Not even Labs did it again,in my opinion.
I was just meaning that in NL the main composers were Lione and Thorsen, i mean Magnani & Tordiglione (he he...yes....that's it)

Vision Divines last cd didnt cut it as much as their first. Their first was very good. Even though their second is still wonderful, it lacked a few things. Personally I think the keyboard got the low end of the balance in that cd, where in the first one it was more equal. Even though it did have its spot of fame on the instrumental track, I thought their first cd was much better. I do like their remake of AHA's song "take on me". It was so different yet so familiar. It was a bit funny too in a way, they tried to make such a upbeat song and turn it evil sounding. LOL.

Vision Divine's last album is very boring IMO, and overall, I don't like Fabio Lione's voice on that album. His voice fits more with a symphonic sound like Rhapsody. The problem with many of these famous Italian power metal bands such as Vision Divine, Labyrinth, adn Rhapsody (also Luca Turilli) is that they are becoming too repetitive. I remember when I first heard Rhapsody (Legendary Tales...my personal fave Rhapsody album) I was blown away. I also love Symphony from Enchanted Lands, but after that every album sounds the same and it is getting old.
When I heard Labyrinth for the first time (Return to Heaven Denied....one of best power metal albums of all times) I was also blown away. But Sons of Thunder is boring and the sound quality (they should have never left New Sin Studio) is poor. Sons of Thunder has same sound as Vision Divine, and all the music (both on Labyrinth and Vision Divine) is getting repetitive as well. The same happened to the last Turilli album.
I really like all these bands, but they have to start being a little more innovative or they will disappear in this huge wave of power metal bands out there.