Large Hadron Collider

Entrerie

Sep 14, 2006
http://www.lhcountdown.com/

According to the site above this goes online in 11 days. There are many doomsday what if's associated with it as you can read below on this site http://www.misunderstooduniverse.com/France_Builds_Doomsday_Machine.htm

To make a long story short the scare is that it will create a micro blackhole that won't dissapate because Hawkings theory is wrong and be trapped in our gravity and slowly absorb matter and grow, fall into the core of the earth and crazy shit like that.. good times.

The other is that it could form strange matter that converts anything it touches to strange matter, kinda like that one scientific scare where everything could cease to exist in a blink of an eye.

This maybe old news to a few of you but how many honestly even knew this thing existed?

Oh, meanwhile, I'm also keeping an eye on ITER, but there is nil chance of a Hawking black hole forming in the reactor, so it's nowhere near as 'sexy' as the LHC. :lol:

signed,
--Paul "why, yes, I minored in physics, so of course I went into pizza delivery" Cashman :)

I find it absolutely fascinating and I've been watching its progress like a hawk. In fact, my boyfriend and I just submitted a request to visit CERN the other day. The usually say request 3-4 months in advance, but July/August are their slow months so we're hoping at 6 weeks will be advance enough. I'll keep you updated if we get to go :)

*Unfortunately, because of the commissioning we may not get to go underground where the LHC is, but it's close enough!

I live about 1 mile from Fermilab National Accelerator Laboratory, which houses a smaller version of what you're talking about. I recall reading some people voicing the same concerns for Fermilab and thus far I'm aware of no mini black hole issues.

But yeah, I did read this news a while back and it did strike me as extremely interesting. Of course, I'd rather the interest just remain in theory.

I live about 1 mile from Fermilab National Accelerator Laboratory, which houses a smaller version of what you're talking about. I recall reading some people voicing the same concerns for Fermilab and thus far I'm aware of no mini black hole issues.

I don't remember hearing about a Hadron collider, but I know they wanted to build a super-collider there. All the locals screamed NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard).

Black hole. Boring. I'd rather they reach some previously impossible resonant frequency, and wake some slumbering elder god. Now that would be metal.

Haven't atom smashers have existed for years? So besides it's size, how is this different from the others?

I think it varies a bit in design to the previous ones, but seems mostly the same. Oh and I think they're achieving higher speeds for the particles to collide in hope of finding something smaller than the quark. But that may be wrong.

Black hole. Boring. I'd rather they reach some previously impossible resonant frequency, and wake some slumbering elder god. Now that would be metal.

[ame=http://youtube.com/watch?v=DT77KlL21_I&feature=related]Large Elder God Collider[/ame]

Hmm.. Quarks are pretty awesome, but imagine the possibilities if they discovered something even smaller! That would be pretty amazing.

There is a comment on the page linked in the first post that sums up my knowledge of black holes and my initial thoughts on all this "disaster" talk:
"Black holes are dependent on the weak force called gravity which is dependent on mass. A black hole requires an enormous amount of mass to make the weak force so strong that even light cannot escape. A black hole can only be created by a massive object imploding (for lack of a better term). I do not think one, two or a million atoms would have enough mass to generate the same gravitational effects of an imploded star. And having very little if any of the other three forces the end result would be an object similar to a neutron only smaller."

Another comment I thought was interesting:
"I suppose that LHC experiment will be completely silent. However, negative consequences inside the human noosphere will be distributed gradually and almost imperceptibly -- new strange illnesses, fatigue, increased frequency of depressions and psychic deviations. The powerful LHC electromagnet may strongly interfere with the system of collective subconsciousnesses (noosphere)."

And Kratos needs to learn his place! Zeus FTW!

Brace yourselves! It's coming! :heh:
Unless they "reset" it again like they did in May :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh just kidding - I went to check, and sure enough they DID reset it!
Should I be surprised? :err:

devious muthaf%$#ers...