Life advice?

RedStorm

Death has come
Apr 30, 2014
somewhere in the milky way
dont take this as me being melodramatic, i just need some straight up advice.

Im 17 and I've been completely honest with my parents for the last few months. What im going to do with my life and how i'm moving out at 18. I have the money, they take this as an attack and ive told them countless times that i'm not, this is just what i want to do. No matter how stupid it may be.
Ive been getting extremely angry with my parents and I called my mom a fucking idiot and my dad said she would take that with her grave, i feel really bad for it but I refuse to apologize for me picking the path that Im going on.

I turn 18 next September 29th, my dad is going to retire (Hes in his mid sixties) and I don't want to be a financial nuisance anymore. What should I do in this last year with them to be nice but no apologetic for what I am going to do. (Im going to be an electrician)

Krow is a savage. :lol:

Advice: Don't curse at your parents. It's not worth it. They are just worried and want the best for you. If you want to move out, get a job and do so. Don't get all indignant from an argument and declare you're moving out. They know you don't have the resources to and that bad things may happen as a result. Move out, sure, but do so when you have a job.

Reactions: zabu of nΩd
Why not trying to sit down and have a talk with them and explain what you want to do? Make a set time to talk instead of just shouting obscenities at them. Be a man and apologize to your mom if she feels bad; I dont think little bastards like you understand how it makes parents feel. Advice? Leave on amicable terms, cause chances are you will come crawling back to them for advice like Krow said. Best thing to do is get the job established before you move out. Tell your parents that you arent meant for the college life (also mention the number of college grads with pointless degrees still unable to support themselves). Dont count on being able to handle being an electrician right off the bat as contractors can be brutal to their newbie delinquents. Ive seen it first hand; either you take their shit and do what they tell you, or blow up at them and lose your job. You seem rebellious against authority, so I kind of predict the latter. Also dont expect being an electrician to be a walk in the park; I know a guy who I consider to be fairly intelligent (even compared to my Uni grad student friends), and he said the licensing exam is really tough (he failed it twice before getting certified). You will have to work for assholes for a while. Good luck.

Deep throat a shotgun barrel.

lol

Cursing at them is not a regular thing I do, a burst of anger I couldn't control, still my fault I understand. Also I understand that this won't be easy, I just feel determined.

My problem is that I have already told them my plan with a calm demeanor. My parents think I am a genius, I could do really well in school, I have no motivation for it. They say they are ok with it, yet they keep bugging me about it (I get it, there my parents) so me cursing that one time was a way to get them off my back.

And to all the people saying Ill crawl back to my parents, do you think I am this dense? My sister and several cousins have already told me they'd help me out with housing if I needed it.
I have a couple grand saved up (menial, I know) and am making more.

I don't hate my parents and I am not "rebelling" I just want to move out, its not fucking science.

The problem about posting online is the fact that it is easy to come off as an immature hot head, its not like I can easily explain this when I can only type it.

Also thank You Funerary and EM for the advice.

Sure this is all dumb as fuck but in the eyes of a young dumb fuck, it's genius.

or you could get along with your parents, continue living with them rent-free, AND get a job, so you keep more of your paycheck. rent is no joke it'll eat a huge chunk off it.

I agree with this, try to stay at home until you make enough to support yourself. Look into how much monthly rent is for an apartment where you live and aim to make 2.5 times that before you move out.

your parents will be nicer to you and give you less shit if you live with them but have a job and pay for all your own stuff plus some utility bills and groceries sometimes. still way cheaper than rent

It'll be a whole lot easier to live off apprenticeship wages if you stay with your folks. That said, if they're not on board with your plans, that's going to make it weird.

Pick a bouquet of beautiful wildflowers, put on your nicest clothes, and find your birth parents, buddy. Find them. And when you do, fucking slap them and shove those disgusting weeds down their throats screaming "LOOK WHAT YOU'VE CREATED YOU MONSTERS!"

dont take this as me being melodramatic, i just need some straight up advice.

Im 17 and I've been completely honest with my parents for the last few months. What im going to do with my life and how i'm moving out at 18. I have the money, they take this as an attack and ive told them countless times that i'm not, this is just what i want to do. No matter how stupid it may be.
Ive been getting extremely angry with my parents and I called my mom a fucking idiot and my dad said she would take that with her grave, i feel really bad for it but I refuse to apologize for me picking the path that Im going on.

I turn 18 next September 29th, my dad is going to retire (Hes in his mid sixties) and I don't want to be a financial nuisance anymore. What should I do in this last year with them to be nice but no apologetic for what I am going to do. (Im going to be an electrician)

My life advice would be smoke crack and search your carpet hoping you find a rock, hit that stem nigga!

Honestly If Im fucked up, it makes me feel better to see that I'm talking to the right people. The fucking crazies of society are on this forum. Also thanks for the laughs guys

Last edited:
As someone who recently moved back in with his parents at the ripe age of almost 26 I say go for it. If you truly want to do it then there shouldn't be anything in your way to stop you. Perhaps I wouldn't move out the day that I turned 18 unless I had a job and a place to stay long-term already, so maybe you could stick around with them under the condition that once you have more stability then you can move out.