Lizzy Borden for future ProgPower?

EDVANTASIA

Mar 24, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I know everyone has their suggestions for future ProgPower line-ups. But, Does Lizzy Borden fit into the PP formula? I really like his stuff, and find his music similar to many bands that have played in the past. I've heard he puts on a great show,even though I haven't seen him live.So my desire to see him, is based on his music. What are other peoples thoughts on him? And how do we get Anderson, of Majestic, Time Requiem, etc. etc. to play Progpower, he is probably one of my favorite musicians, even though all his bands sound very similar.

Here's a show review from a friend of mine that saw Lizzy Borden with WASP out in the Houston area recently:

"When Lizzy Borden hit the stage I had no idea what I was in for. My guess was that they would put on the show with the old school look (as opposed to the aging rock star look). I didn't catch the band members names so forgive me on that. They all had the look with the black leathers, etc., but the lead singer ... wow. Long gone are the "Dee Snider" golden locks. Instead, it was the extreme heavy metal "goth" look. Throughout the show, the name of the game was the various masks that he wore (different for each song). The outfit was too unusual to describe other than it was (as I said before), the extreme heavy metal "goth" look. The bass player had the look and did a kick-ass solo. The guitar player on the other hand, had really great long hair (ALA Scott Gorman/Eric Brittingham), but I just couldn't cozy up to the six inch goatee "sheath" that he had. He did a totally kick-ass guitar solo however (no drum solo, very disappointing). The band totally rocked and the vocal talents were there but I had trouble warming up to the music -- it was way too heavy for my taste. Certainly an interesting part of the show was when the lead singer brought out the ax and in total theatrical flair, cut his tongue and did the blood spitting scene (certainly a take off on the Gene Simmons thing). The show definitely rocked but as I said, the music was too heavy for my taste. By far the best song of the night was the encore when they played Rainbow's "Long live rock and roll" (go figure ... the best tune of the night was one they didn't write)! The lead singer at this time, finally unmasked himself ... Aggghhh ... House of Wax! Put the mask back on!!!
So, in summation, I wanted to see Lizzy Borden and I was disappointed. It was really like watching a Marilyn Manson show (and I'll never be a fan of that clown). I wasn't sure about WASP and they blew me away (and it takes a lot for a band to "blow me away"). I definitely have a renewed interest in that band. "

I asked him if they did 'Notorious', which is my fave tune by them, and he said it was 2nd or 3rd tune in...

Jasoninc, have you heard Lizzy's CD "Deal with the Devil? It has many similarities to bands that play at Progpower. It has great choruses, excellent musicians, and Lizzy can sing his ass off.If you are ablt to find some MP3's or find it used somewhere, give it a shot. I agree Lizzy's early work is kinda weak. But this CD rocks, and I believe this is his latest work.

You guys are way to harsh. Lizzy kicks ass. He always has and always will. I have seen them perform three times. I have never and I repeat never been dissapointed with the show. They are an awesome band. They are far better than some of the clowns that have been booked at PPUSA in the past. Enough said. And yes it is just my opinion. But like everyone else; I have one too. So keep on rocking Lizzy!!!!

I don't mind the band but they are not power metal and certainly not prog metal. More just like traditional 80's style hard rock with some glam and some bluesy influence. certainly its fun, but musicianship wise leave something to be desired unlike pretty much every band that plays progpower

Lizzy Borden is a great band. "American Metal" is one of the greatest metal anthems ever. "Notorious", "Master of Disguise", "Give Em the Axe" and "Me Against the World" are also all classics. I am hoping to see this band play the Brave Words festival in Montreal this October a long with the already announced Helloween and Testament.

While maybe not a candidate for the actual ProgPower stage, I think they are a definite candidate for the PreParty stage. Since Leatherwolf will be there this year, I think it opens the doors for some of the old school bands still kicking around...thoughts?

Not to be F'd up? I think Lizzy fits in just as well as Freak Kitchen or Devin Townsend. The guy has a huge discography.I think he would fit the wild card slot. And possibly might be bring more people to Progpower, Like I think Jon Oliva did at PP5.Although, none of this matters, if Glenn doesn't like Lizzy's music.

DarkTide said:
I just don't see Lizzy Borden as a good fit for Prog Power. I think they more or less are a nostalgic type act, and would fit better at a BW&BK type fest.

Britt

I don't know that I'd say they're a nostalgia act as they do have recent material, but I definately agree that Lizzy Borden would be a better fit for BW&BK than PPUSA.

I saw them recently for the first time with WASP and they completely stole the show! The music was good and the show was killer! As for the musicianship, Marten Andersson is a really talented bass player (he also toured recently with George Lynch) and Ira Black is a serious shredder!

EDVANTASIA said:
Jasoninc, have you heard Lizzy's CD "Deal with the Devil? It has many similarities to bands that play at Progpower. It has great choruses, excellent musicians, and Lizzy can sing his ass off.If you are ablt to find some MP3's or find it used somewhere, give it a shot. I agree Lizzy's early work is kinda weak. But this CD rocks, and I believe this is his latest work.

What he said. Great album.

EDVANTASIA said:
I really like his stuff, and find his music similar to many bands that have played in the past.

I am a huge Lizzy Borden fan-boy...and have been since the Give 'Em The Axe EP came out soooo long ago...

But...this statement makes me roll on the floor laughing...

Rock on!

EDVANTASIA said:
Not to be F'd up? I think Lizzy fits in just as well as Freak Kitchen or Devin Townsend. The guy has a huge discography.I think he would fit the wild card slot. And possibly might be bring more people to Progpower, Like I think Jon Oliva did at PP5.Although, none of this matters, if Glenn doesn't like Lizzy's music.

Hmmmm - First off I LOVE Lizzy Borden, but I have to agree with those who think they might be more of a nostalgia act. Freak Kitchen & Devin were "oddball" bookings, and both are on the fringe of prog/power, so I don't see a real comparison. Also, there are just TOO many other bands that could easily replace LB and put more "asses in seats". Now a pre-party show, I could see that being a better fit......

J-Dubya

I am not familiar with any newer LB efforts.
I dunno man. I kinda always lumped them in the same vein as a THOR and what not.
I could see them at Classic Metalfest (maybe).

Not surprisingly, Glen has not jumped in on this thread!!! :lol:

Jasonic said:
I am not familiar with any newer LB efforts.
I dunno man. I kinda always lumped them in the same vein as a THOR and what not.
I could see them at Classic Metalfest (maybe).

Not surprisingly, Glen has not jumped in on this thread!!! :lol:

Yeah, I bet he loves these armchair fest organizer/promoter threads! :zombie: :)

J-Dubya