long forgotten UM-core

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
for whatever reason i started thinking of bands that used to be shilled back in the day by members of said groups here on the forums, that almost completely disappeared and are barely present on the internet anymore

eventide - caress the abstract (1999)

this was back when i posted on the dark tranquillity forums... these guys REALLY wanted to be dt, from the musical style, to hiring niklas sundin for the cover artwork, to even having DT's then bassist on guest vocals. it ain't bad. if you can't get enough of late 90's melodeath that sounds A LOT like dark tranquillity then this is a charming little nugget of history. the following promo had a cool song called "the collector's pride" that shed the overt DT xeroxing in favoUr of a more progressive style but that one is MIA from the www ityool 2021 a.y.p.s. afaict

the lull - umber, my sun... (2003)
http://thelull.chez-alice.fr/thelull/index.html
http://thelull.chez-alice.fr/thelull/mp3/umber.mp3
http://thelull.chez-alice.fr/thelull/mp3/god.mp3
yes, no bandcamp, no youtube, no nothing -- just really poor quality mp3's on ye olde sküül webbe site. i completely forget the handle of the user who made these or what kind of interaction i had with him, but this is definitely by a member of the forums. it's a one-man bedroom band from france that is actually really quite good. it's like olde katatonia gone a little bit more progressive. really into it actually. I OWN THIS ON REAL CD and should rip and upload it sometime because it deserves a better fate than to be completely forgotten.

thales - a world beyond (2001)
http://mikseri.net/artists/thales.40588.php
these my pals used to be all over the opeth forum trying to position themselves and their "pellucid lake" as the next best thing to "blackwater park". i completely forget what it sounds like except it was absolutely very derivative of opeth but not as good. the demo i remember, "a world beyond", is completely scrubbed from the net at this point it seems. i think i have it on cd-r somewhere. the link is to some newer material (2004) that i have not previously heard. sounds less like opeth and more like generic finn-mdm at this point. not great.

crom - demo 2004 (2006)

not quite as completely forgotten as the above, as this material still exists readily on youtube etc. and he's gone on to release several full-length albums (that i really should check out) but point is i LOVE this. it's like hammerheart/twilight of the gods worship mixed with german power metal á la blind guardian and some rather sappy romanticism. it's really very heartfelt and well written stuff. it's like the soundtrack to conan the barbarian crying carrying his beloved to the funeral pyre. again, i have no recollection of who this is, only that i had some interaction with him thru the forums (?) in the past and ordered his demos.

POST UR FORGOTTEN SHIT

Reactions: spikes77
I remember Thales being advertised pretty heavily on UM on banners etc. I'm gonna check out Crom right now based on that description.

I have all the three Crom full lengths and Fallen Beauty EP. Good stuff. Vengeance is easily his best. Recommended

I remember the guy that owned JCM (his initials!) Records pimping the shit outta this on the forums. I think he mightve even had a forum.

I have this and the 2 preceding eps on ceedee. Obviously trying to latch on to the if/dt craze in 2002. I like the addition of synths, it gives in that Haven vibe.

I checked and apparently these dudes just released another one 2 years ago.

Definitely remembered Thales --- a few that I remember from early on (both um and mp3.com)

Clad in Darkness (big on the opeth forum)

Soul Forlorn --I wish I could find this online because I remember it being pretty good--I may have the mp3s (A love so dark) on my old desktop. Try to see what internet sleuthing you can do Erik ;)

Forest Stream (I remember they had a presence on the opeth forum -- and their Mel Kor song was decent)

There was a dude from the opeth and the later off topic forum that I think his band name was Stygian--I looked on metallum and that band logo seems familiar --aka opeth influenced :p

Reactions: einride
This is a cool thread. I recognize some of the usernames but don’t remember these bands. This is going way back but there was this one dude on the opeth forum who covered Serenity Painted Death and it was really good

also, remember the JimLOTFP? he had his own forum

For some reason I always had an irrational dislike for what was his zine. I don't really know why. His site now seems to exist solely as some odd fantasy role-playing game rather than a music zine which is pretty bizarre.

They released a new one last year. Not good good but fairly enjoyable in parts

I'd agree with this assessment. Back to Times of Splendor is probably top 10 stuff stuff for me, discovered it from the thread on this forum.

Crom have a new EP out this year. One of their new songs just popped up on my Spotify. I did check them out when this thread was first started, but it didn't really do much for me. This new song is kind of fun and catchy.

Reactions: einride