long-running bands whose newest albums are underrated

TychoCelchu

Sep 28, 2004
Boston MA
I've got a few picks:
1. Fates Warning - FWX. I keep reading/hearing that people consider this largely a throwaway, but I think it's got everything a good Fates album should have. Loved it since release, but right off the bat the first friend I played it for hated it.

2. Whitesnake - Good to be Bad. This one might be considered iffy or an exercise in self-indulgence but IMO the songwriting quality is still there, despite its being seemingly ignored by most audiences.

Yours?

I don't know if these albums are underrated, but a good number of oldster bands are releasing good stuff of late.

Overkill's latest is excellent .. some have said it's their best since their early years.

Ratt's new disc is very good .. had no expectations for it as I felt they were probably way over the hill. Wrong .. new one is pretty awesome.

Pretty Maids latest, Pandemonium, is the best I've heard from them since Future World ... some 20 plus years ago.

These three discs are in my top 10 so far this year.

Britt

Pretty Maids - Pandemonium definetly!!!!!

TAROT - Gravity of Light Oh yeah!!!!! what a killer album

I think I may have misunderstood the topic a bit. All of the stuff I mentioned was pretty new, and also pretty well received.

I can't think of anything at the moment that fits the category.

Britt

Boy am I gonna get flamed for this statement...

Angra-Aurora Consurgens

I really liked this one. I wasn't particularly fond of the other 2 with Edu, but this one seemed different, experimental. I like it, what can I say?

Go Go Gadget flamethrower....

Pretty Maids and Armored Saint are both on my to-buy list. Just have to allocate the extra cash.

I enthusiastically disagree regarding Aurora Consurgens, but hey. If you're into it, OK. I'll say it's only bad by Angra standards, not colossally bad. I like track 2 and there's one later one that I like, but I can't remember. However, most of that album is blaaahh.

]

I enthusiastically disagree regarding Aurora Consurgens, but hey. If you're into it, OK. I'll say it's only bad by Angra standards, not colossally bad. I like track 2 and there's one later one that I like, but I can't remember. However, most of that album is blaaahh.

This.

Some good examples in recent posts.
I was wondering if someone would say World Painted Blood. I actually haven't heard it myself.
I wonder if anyone would say Angel Dust - Human Bondage :)

The new Tygers of Pan Tang and Praying Mantis disc are really good. These bands both have been around for over 3 decades. The new Tygers is more rock influenced but still has that vibe of the early stuff. While most bands just go through the motions they pull out all the stops on it.

Praying Mantis have updated there sound with a more hard rock with a touch of melodic power metal. Kind of reminds me of newer Firewind.

It is nice to see some of the bands that have been around really getting back out there with new stuff and not just relying on the old material.