Lyric meanings on Paradise Lost

Mar 20, 2005
USA
I am sure this has already been discussed but if it has I couldn't find it. Is there a thread with interview links where the band discusses lyrical topics and song meanings for the new cd?

It's a concept album only in that the songs are tied together by general themes but it is NOT one story like a true conceptual album.

It's a concept album only in that the songs are tied together by general themes but it is NOT one story like a true conceptual album.

*sigh*...

What's a concept album???

Well,

Most often they are pre-planned (conceived) and with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story, this plan or story being the concept. This is in contrast to the standard practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected songs that the members of the group or the artist have written, or have been chosen to perform or cover. Given that the suggestion of something as vague as an overall mood often tags a work as being a concept album, a precise definition of the term proves problematic.

By my definition, PL is a concept album.

If you already knew that then why did you make a thread about it? Jackass.
WTF? Did you even read my post? That is whole the point of the thread. To find out what the songs are about since it's not a concept album. I am looking for interviews with band members where they discuss the songs meanings. Do you get it now?

I did just locate the following interview with MR though and it seems to touch on some of the basics themes without going into details.
AvanzadaMetallica: What can you say about the lyrics
on [the new SYMPHONY X album] "Paradise Lost"?

Michael Romeo: "Well... it's not a concept record.
This is a kind of inspiration and a kind of vibe of
what we wanted to do, you know, a lot of the music was
written based in all we are and in these basic ideas.
We decided that we wanted more guitar stuff, pretty
heavy, pretty dark and we started to look for ideas
for the lyrics, and that's how came with the idea of
'Paradise Lost', we wanted to tell the stories and
follow everything exactly with ideas of betrayal,
revenge, corruption, innocence, angry, emotional... We
wanted that kind of feeling for the material that we
have."

I did just locate the following interview with MR though and it seems to touch on some of the basics themes without going into details.

*sigh*...

What's a concept album???

Well,

Most often they are pre-planned (conceived) and with all songs contributing to a single overall theme or unified story, this plan or story being the concept. This is in contrast to the standard practice of an artist or group releasing an album consisting of a number of unconnected songs that the members of the group or the artist have written, or have been chosen to perform or cover. Given that the suggestion of something as vague as an overall mood often tags a work as being a concept album, a precise definition of the term proves problematic.

By the bands it is not. Maybe you consider it a concept album but SX obviously does not. Read the interview blurb with Michael that I posted.
If you are getting your information from Wikipedia then you are getting your information from one of the most unreliable sources online. Any kid with a computer can enter information there.

Maybe you consider it a concept album but SX obviously does not.

Maybe they say it's not a concept album because they know that everyone thinks a concept album is about telling the story step by step, and thats not what they did in PL, but it still is a concept album (IMO)

If you are getting your information from Wikipedia then you are getting your information from one of the most unreliable sources online. Any kid with a computer can enter information there.

good point, but if you really think about it for a sec, thats a good definition isnt it? that SHOULD be the "encyclopedian" definition.

By the bands it is not. Maybe you consider it a concept album but SX obviously does not. Read the interview blurb with Michael that I posted.

Y'know, i've already had this discussion on the board. Proulxski already did the "OMG BUT MJR SAID!!11!1one!". Think for yourself for once man.

No, it's not an "Operation:Mindcrime" or "Abigail" concept album. It's still a concept.

WTF? Did you even read my post? That is whole the point of the thread. To find out what the songs are about since it's not a concept album..

Uh...do you have a brain capable of figuring things out on your own? Or do you have to be spoon fed everything? The lyrics are basically up to interpretation even though to me it's pretty obvious whats going on, having read the original Paradise Lost and even wrote a 6 page essay on it. Besides, there are like 3 other threads discussing the lyrics, so just go look in one of those.

I am looking for interviews with band members where they discuss the songs meanings. Do you get it now?

Google? Or once again, do you expect everyone to just give you shit? Lazy fuck.

Uh...do you have a brain capable of figuring things out on your own? Or do you have to be spoon fed everything? The lyrics are basically up to interpretation even though to me it's pretty obvious whats going on, having read the original Paradise Lost and even wrote a 6 page essay on it. Besides, there are like 3 other threads discussing the lyrics, so just go look in one of those.

Google? Or once again, do you expect everyone to just give you shit? Lazy fuck.

*wanders away from discussion, laughing balls right off*

I am sure this has already been discussed but if it has I couldn't find it. Is there a thread with interview links where the band discusses lyrical topics and song meanings for the new cd?

It's a step by step song thematically speaking regarding the creation of my ass and the fall of the shit from within.

HELLO - IT'S CALLED PARADISE LOST!!!!! Dimwit!

Wasn't that MJR interview ages ago anyway? Like a year or two? (can't remember)

Maybe the changed their mind halfway through. :p

But yeah, it seems like a concept album to me. Central theme, yada yada, etc.