Majestic Downfall - The First Abyss

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Majestic Downfall – The First Abyss
Self-Produced - 2007
By Adam McAuley

0524_35.JPG

The dreary tone to be found here is certainly welcomed. There are parallels to be made to Paradise Lost’s sound circa Gothic though the band has enough of a distinctiveness to carve out their own niche. The sound offered up is emotional and melodic to solid extent and the songs glide by quite smoothly. I can certainly see an audience that would appreciate this type of material more than others. Fans of Katatonia’s earlier material like Brave Murder Day would certainly find something to enjoy here as well.

One small downfall to be found here is that the work is quite short as it is a demo, so it might not have the complete ability to enrapture you as one might hope. Despite the limited amount of time given to the band, they are able to have some swings upward as well as downward throughout. The songs emit a certain passion that is appropriate for the style of music that carries through the work. “A Tear of Understanding” has a potent effect upon the listener and added keyboards help elevate it above the rest to a certain extent. It is a solid way to end the proceedings.

Overall the band manages to put on a mournful display for the entirety of the disc. It has all of the hallmarks of a quality doom offering with its catchy riffs and a despondent atmosphere. The mood the band sets is also somewhat similar to some of My Dying Bride’s stuff, though the style is slightly different. Majestic Downfall certainly shows the promise that likens them to some of doom’s greats. I’m more interested in hearing the bands full length material as if The First Abyss demo is anything to go by, there should be enjoyable things in the future. A solid piece of doom metal that has all of the ingredients fall into place for an unfortunately limited time frame.

Official Majestic Downfall Band Website
Official Majestic Downfall My Space