__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Manilla Road - The Deluge
Black Dragon Records/Underground Symphony Records – 1986/2004
By Adam McAuley

recdeluge.jpg

When speaking of overlooked classic metal bands, Manilla Road will certainly always be at the top of the list. They are an outstanding act, greatly underappreciated and deserving of far more praise.

Their music is incredibly unique. Though mediocre production doesn't really do them justice, Manilla Road have a multi-textured, epic sound, one of a kind and difficult to emulate. The riffing is often staccato-based with a galloping theme. Operatic vocals take precedence, and Mark Shelton has a distinct nasal voice that may take some time to appreciate. The solos are also of note; they are wonderfully layered with the rhythm guitar, and can be very wild, complementing the trademark vibe of the record nicely.

There aren't any completely accurate comparisons for the band's musical tapestry. Manowar have a similar grandiose sound, but can't be taken as seriously due to silly self-righteous lyrics. Iron Maiden correlations also aren't favourable; their music isn't as richly textured, despite being of similar quality. This difficulty in drawing parallels makes for a unique gem amongst the better-known classic heavy metal acts.

Standout cuts include “Dimentia”, the irresistibly catchy “Divine Victim”, and storming instrumental closer, “Rest in Pieces”. The songs are all worthy, however, and this is perhaps the most consistently enjoyable Manilla Road album overall. Not to be taken with a grain of salt, the group are an incredibly entertaining diversion; despite being held in high esteem by some, they are not well enough known or appreciated.

Official Manilla Road Website
Underground Symhpony Records Website

Awesome album indeed! I just picked this up 2 days ago at a record convention in my city. It's the Italian digipack version including a live bonus track of Dementia. I had heard a few songs off of Crystal Logic a few weeks back and I was really impressed with it. I just really dig the classic sound these guys have. I've been listening to The Deluge almost non-stop since I bought it. It has alot of memorable riffs with catchy and somewhat haunting clean guitar parts. This album definately grows on you each time you listen to it. If you're a fan of any old classic eighties metal, you'll love this. It has a great nostalgic feel to it. Highly Recommended!