Manticora

bhcompy

Resident Geek
Feb 10, 2005
Is all Manticora as awesome as the sampler track posted here? Has a great heavy portion thats almost unexpected with the leadin. Have the CD on order and I'm hoping it's worth the money. If it is, damn, another great band to pay extra attention to at PP

Well.... let's say this:

I keep spinning their very first album. Yeah, it's a bit less polished, a bit less accurate, a bit looser, but damnit, their riffage is soooo damned good. I've never discovered a band where their first album is so damned METAL. Usually, I get into their later albums. But Roots Of Eternity has such great songs on it. The Flood is a really long song, and it's got, like 15 different riffs crammed in there. It's so satisfying to hear a band do it like Megadeth and Metallica and Slayer used to do it way back when, and yet be fresh and original enough to do it with their own style and flavor.

So go get Roots Of Eternity, and then work forward. You won't be disappointed.

If you are, I'll buy your copy of Roots offa ya!

I think each one has gotten better, so I'd pick 8 Deadly Sins as their best, and Hyperion as the next best. My biggest problem with Manticora - I really like the music, but I have problems distinguishing one song from another.

Steve in Philly

Thanks for the input...trying to get at least one cd from each band so that i have some kind of clue of what they sound like before the show

heck yeah....definitly pick up the newest one, Twice Second, it's the only one i've have from them, but definitly worth it

Well PC69 - Thunderdome is good and umm well I'm not much into Therion hahaha Still Digging into Strato and Angra... Conception - Parallel Minds is good ... I have alot of homework to do myself! :)

BDgolfer said:
So what CD should I buy for a first time....is Roots of Eternity their best??

no, I think it is the weakest. Don't have the latest by them, which I think is likely their best, but I really liked Darkness with Tales to Tell

For Strato I have Destiny and Visions.. Both are good, and most people suggest those to pick up.

Therion - I have Secret of the Runes and Lemuria/Sirius B.. I like Secret better, but they have a varied sound and it really depends on what you like

Orphaned Land - Mabool is kickass. My favorite out of all the bands on the ticket so far

Don't have any others, so I couldn't tell ya

I think the majority of Stratovarius' fan-picked set comes from Visions and Episode....I tallied it up to see which two I would buy. And maybe two each from some of the others. Of course I already have 'Infinite' and 'Elements Pt. 1.'

I would recommend starting with newest album 8 Deadly Sins. I like all four albums, but the newest one has the strongest songs and best production of all 4.