Mastodon - I'm in the dark here

JayKeeley said:
I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "heavy metal". Typically people refer to traditional metal bands as "heavy metal". I guess I don't know exactly what core is (and neither does it matter) but for absolute unequivocal certainty, there is nothing traditional about Mastodon. It is an absolute acquired taste.
Nothing traditional? Among all their influences, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Slayer and Venom (yes Venom) seem to have a special place in their music. The "traditional metal" feeling is present, and if you ask me it is dominating their music.
Iron Maiden are heavy metal, but Entombed too are heavy metal. Music having old school oriented riffs (and old school influences in general) and melodies and that special feeling. Imo people are wrong calling only trad. metal bands "heavy metal". And ok at least here we dont use "traditional metal" as a genre (but we do that for "heavy metal" more like as .. the common field for everything else)

IOfTheStorm said:
Nothing traditional? Among all their influences, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Slayer and Venom (yes Venom) seem to have a special place in their music. The "traditional metal" feeling is present, and if you ask me it is dominating their music.
You know, I wonder if that's true when written on paper. To me, I know when something is metal because I feel it to be true. When I listen to Sabbath or Slayer, I feel something very different when compared to listening to a band like Mastodon.

Well anyway, I need to give the album a really good fighting chance. I liked some stuff from Remission, like "March of the Fire Ants". I'm using this thread to prep me for a better listening experience. I do recognize that they have some odd time signatures as well...maybe that's why they had "Rush" splurged all over the album cover sticker....who knows.

I'll get back to it in a few days...right now, I can't get enough of Prince of the Poverty Line. There is no debate in my mind as to how great Skyclad is!

To me, I know when something is metal because I feel it to be true. When I listen to Sabbath or Slayer, I feel something very different when compared to listening to a band like Mastodon.
Exactly! It's all about the feeling. "Leviathan" needs many listening sessions so that the listener can consume it's musical wealth.

If we want to talk about overrated, look no further than Skyclad. Not even a shadow of the mighty Sabbat! I used to have that Prince... album, took me forever to get rid of that pile of fly dung.

In regards to Mastodon, where is Nate the Great? I remember he being one of the reasons I picked up their old stuff. Their latest is great, go straight to track 3. It's like Nirvana with Neil Peart on drums! That being said, I cannot question their metalness.:headbang:

Yes i can see how Skyclad with loads of GREAT albums are "not even a shadow of the mighty Sabbat" ... . Anyway why people keep comparing these two bands ? Because of the singer ? OMG.. even the composers are different, the music is different, everything is different..
And yes the Nirvana influences are so clear in Mastodon..
i have to get a lexotanil

Papa Josh said:
If we want to talk about overrated, look no further than Skyclad. Not even a shadow of the mighty Sabbat! I used to have that Prince... album, took me forever to get rid of that pile of fly dung.
I'm not sure if Skyclad could be considered to be "overrated"! But yeah, if you didn't like "Prince of the Poverty Line" then I would steer clear. That's probably one of their better ones from the stuff I've heard so far. The first Skyclad is a lot more 'thrashy', and probably closest to Sabbat, but not representative of their entire catalog.

I have a feeling that Mastodon is going to be a love 'em / hate 'em kind of band. It's such an overt sound, it's hard to sit on the fence really.

IOfTheStorm said:
Anyway why people keep comparing these two bands ? Because of the singer ? OMG.. even the composers are different, the music is different, everything is different..
Yeah you're right, but Walkyier is such a prominent figure in both bands that the comparison is natural. Also, his lyrical style is pretty consistent.

I have to say, you are truly missing half the experience of Sabbat and Skyclad if you're not reading along with the lyrics.

I haven't looked, bt is Skyclad's stuff difficult to get a hold of? I know Sabbat's stuff is hard-to-find.

J. said:
I haven't looked, bt is Skyclad's stuff difficult to get a hold of? I know Sabbat's stuff is hard-to-find.
Sabbat is very rare, except for "Mourning has Broken", but you don't want that one.

Skyclad is easy. I just went to CDuniverse and they have everything pretty much for less than a tenner. I'm no expert yet, but I do really like "Prince..." and "Vintage...", and I don't really like "Silent Whales of the Lunar Sea" quite as much.

I guess the Skyclad thread needs bumping.

I dont think he has ever topped his performance on In the Eyes of God.

This new album is much more guitar oriented than Remission, they really kind of contained Dailors manic drumming.

JayKeeley said:
I'm not sure if Skyclad could be considered to be "overrated"! But yeah, if you didn't like "Prince of the Poverty Line" then I would steer clear. That's probably one of their better ones from the stuff I've heard so far. The first Skyclad is a lot more 'thrashy', and probably closest to Sabbat, but not representative of their entire catalog.
Overrated in the sense that I've heard people in the scene talk about 'em for years, but for the most part, all I can picture is some overweight guy prancing around in leprechaun pants, armed with a flute and a mandolin, ale dribbling down his beard...

Not one album in Skyclad's catalog comes even close to Sabbat's "Dreamweaver: The Way Of The Wyrd."

And I'll take Mourning Has Broken anyday over Prince of the Poverty Line... :oops:

I'm off to see Mastodon tonight, along with Hatebreed, Slipknot and Slayer. I'll fill y'all in on it when I can... haven't heard much by Mastodon except March Of The Fire Ants, but I remember loving that the same way I loved High On Fire first time I heard them, so I have high hopes.