3. Seabeast
4. ísland
5. Iron Tusk
6. Megalodon
7. Naked Burn
8. Aqua Dementia
9. Hearts Alive
10. Joseph Merrick

Long live the riff! People do strange things with the term metal, calling all-acoustic folk albums metal, or some techno mumbo jumbo with no guitars whatsoever metal just because the group once made a black metal demo in 1987, or any number of oddities. But it all comes down to the riff. If there is no riff, it just ain't metal, son. So you can call MASTODON hardcore or postpunk or waterstuff or whatever you want, but at the end of the day Leviathan is chock full of countless riffs, and that makes it metal.

Leviathan is an album that rarely lets up, but is not exhausting like so many nonstop albums can be. There is plenty of variety in the riffs and the drums are almost speech-like in their delivery. Brann Dailor is certainly an expressive drummer, and will likely go unappreciated by the masses because he plays in "just" a metal band. The clean vocals help carry the not-harmonic-yet-not-atonal sound of MASTODON into accessibility, which is where the whole water theme really shines. The long glissando clean vocals are quite aqueous, and certainly pull the complete package together, as on tracks "Seabeast" and "Naked Burn." Unfortunately the growled vocals come into play a little too often and bring the whole affair down a notch. I'm not opposed to harsh vocals, and I especially enjoy them if they are used along with clean vocals, as with this album or an old EDGE OF SANITY release. But those on Leviathan, in a word, suck. They are not necessarily poorly executed, rather they just do not fit the mood of this album at all and become the glaring tedious aspect toward the later tracks. If the rest of the album relied more on clean vocals like the above mentioned tracks do, this release would be much stronger. Then again they are hardly the focal point, so they don't get too much in the way of the real meat on this bone: the riffs.

According to a large chunk of the metal (and a bit of the non-metal) media, Leviathan was THE album of 2004. There is no question that it is good, but I never thought it was amazing. It may be a case of too high expectations as I didn't hear it until the press had already praised their song, but perhaps not because generally I'm able to enjoy an album based on its merits alone. Either way, this is certainly a solid offering and those looking for real metal and real riffs should definitely apply.

8/10

hasn't hit me yet. nothing wrong with it, I guess. but nothing convincingly right, either. at least not yet.

Have you heard Remission? Some like it better, but I'm not among them. It's a little more direct and uses fewer clean melodies. Nowhere near as grand, though.

I actually do prefer Remission. Like J, this hasn't hit me yet, but I'm keeping the CD for that eventful day.

Yeah, most people (Terrorizer, at least) went ga-ga over this, but then they went ga-ga over Enslaved as well. Both were teh failure for me (to date).

I don't like Remission too much either. IT was good for a few listens and has a few decent songs, but there's something not-quite-right with this band that just irks me, and it irks me even more that I can't put my fnger on what it is.

Haven't heard Remission, and
matt99_crew said:
uses fewer clean melodies.
turns me off from bothering with it. I would rather pick up Oceanic.

Why are Isis and Mastodon compared so often? They don't really sound the same, but I compare them as well. IIEIEWIWEISIIERES

heh, Isis is so fucking far beyond the spectrum of what Mastodon is it's ridiculous.

as Jules said in Pulp Fiction: "Look, it ain't the same ballpark, it ain't the same league, it aint even the same fucking sport."

Mastodon licks the scrud from Isis' collective shoes.

Get Oceanic before getting anything else. I'm pretty much convinced it's better than Panopticon now.

J. said:
I don't like Remission too much either. IT was good for a few listens and has a few decent songs, but there's something not-quite-right with this band that just irks me, and it irks me even more that I can't put my fnger on what it is.

i am with you guys ... and i blame the production, it's too dry. needs more meat to bring the whole band together. to me it seems like we have a lot of talented members not playing on the same team.

Chromatose said:
also, gets +1 for NEIL FALLON

Make that +1 for Scott Kelly, Aqua Dementia is the album's second best track (I shouldn't have to tell you what's ahead of it), I love the way it effortly switches between its two main riffs. As for Remission, I prefer this one as it sounds more coherent, but it does have some awesome tracks on it. I agree with NAD, Isis and Mastodon have close to zero in common.

Isis > Mastodon
Remission > Leviathan

And I would still give Leviathan 9/10 so you can see in what high regard I hold both band's output.

*is seeing Isis live next week*

And it is going to be FAN-fucking-TASTIC!!!

Mastodon fucking tricked me into buying this one... I knew the second that I saw a review frm MTV calling them "the next Rush or Metallica" it was a mistake to buy. They are talented as hell, but give me a fucking break. Way to kill my ears -_- so bland. The subject matter is weak as hell too (Come on, Moby Dick? Way to capitalize on someone elses work and way to prove how uninspired you really are.) Lyrically: IT BLOWS. I could pull an album 3x better out of my ass... on a bad day.

To sum this album up: I gave this album away.